Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Now that steamspy hides behind a paywall does anyone know how much copies have been sold since release?
Last public steamspy number sat at around 700k. Which was pretty accurate for the time. It's risen since of course

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Surely they would have at least some black people for amusement and "sight-seeing" purposes?

Yeah, a caged dindu in every village. I'm sure that would go over well in that stuffed toys lined pit smelling of hair dye and vegan farts that is the Polygon newsroom.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's super bummer they don't have polar bears in the game. There's no evidence they didn't exist in 1400s Bohemian countryside after all. It's important to include polar bears because of global warming.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
polar bears
polarbearianjohnsonnanuk.jpg

Riiight. Let's put even more white characters in the game.

05977086.jpg

Brancaleone

Liturgist
It's super bummer they don't have polar bears in the game. There's no evidence they didn't exist in 1400s Bohemian countryside after all. It's important to include polar bears because of global warming.
Aaaand, and, if you have polar bears you would also have Inuit hunting them, so +2 for diversity in one fell swoop. And nobody ever proved there weren't Inuit in '400 Bohemia either.

Codex Year of the Donut
polar bears are actually at a peak since we've started monitoring them and considered a massive conservation success story

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Surely they would have at least some black people for amusement and "sight-seeing" purposes?
Definitely not so far inland, the only place you could realistically consider black people in that region would probably be Prague, and Prague is far away from where the game takes place.

thr

Novice
Imo it's highly unlikely they would sell 300k copies since then. They droped off the top selling spots pretty fast, and they basicaly don't recieve any new reviews. My guess would be 50k at best. Unless they do somthing about their reputation regarding technical state of the game, this won't improve. When people ask about the game in random corners of the internet, the answers are mostly "wait for sale, it's buggy as hell".

Paul_cz

Arcane
Imo it's highly unlikely they would sell 300k copies since then. They droped off the top selling spots pretty fast, and they basicaly don't recieve any new reviews. My guess would be 50k at best. Unless they do somthing about their reputation regarding technical state of the game, this won't improve. When people ask about the game in random corners of the internet, the answers are mostly "wait for sale, it's buggy as hell".

My guess would be around 800K on PC total now. I wonder about console sales though.

Smejki

Developer
Now that steamspy hides behind a paywall does anyone know how much copies have been sold since release?
Last public steamspy number sat at around 700k. Which was pretty accurate for the time. It's risen since of course
So, is the current estimate accurate? :p
As opposed to how SteamSpy worked previously? Nope. Considering the author must be displaying some mean value from a range his model keeps returning I feel quite comfortable to claim his new model gained at least(!) 40-50% measurement uncertainty. The previous model was well within 10%, maybe even 5%, and its only major defect was almost a week long lag behind reality.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
As opposed to how SteamSpy worked previously? Nope. Considering the author must be displaying some mean value from a range his model keeps returning I feel quite comfortable to claim his new model gained at least(!) 40-50% measurement uncertainty. The previous model was well within 10%, maybe even 5%, and its only major defect was almost a week long lag behind reality.

Do console versions still outsell PC's?

Smejki

Developer
Can't disclose any console numbers. But I don't believe they ever outsold PC, or not significantly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, 15 century Bohemians are well known for their role in colonizing Africa and trafficking slaves. Vavra really dropped the ball there.
Surely they would have at least some black people for amusement and "sight-seeing" purposes? Also, I hope you don't intend to claim that 15 Bohemians had no prostitutes either?
Yeah, putting black people into the game just for amusement and slave purposes would have been great. I'm already seeing the headlines about the game encouraging black slavery. Great marketing.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know you guys mean well but you‘re kinda giving SJW the little finger when you say that maybe Prague had black people.

Fact is, in 15th century Middle and Eastern Europe there were probably no black people at all, except maybe for some single individuals that somehow winded up there through some freak accident (you can never rule this out).

It’s not like Eastern Europeans, or any Europeans for that matter, held black slaves for the lols in their own cities and villages. There were simply no black people in Europe back then.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah I dunno about "no black people at all" cause they somehow managed to end up even in the most ridiculous of places like Japan. I'd expect a few odd ones out across even Eastern Europe somewhere but probably only in major cities and such. "No black people in Europe" is especially doubtful considering that Italy, Spain and Portugal are in Europe.

Codex Year of the Donut
I know you guys mean well but you‘re kinda giving SJW the little finger when you say that maybe Prague had black people.

Fact is, in 15th century Middle and Eastern Europe there were probably no black people at all, except maybe for some single individuals that somehow winded up there through some freak accident (you can never rule this out).

It’s not like Eastern Europeans, or any Europeans for that matter, held black slaves for the lols in their own cities and villages. There were simply no black people in Europe back then.
Prague was a lot more important in the 15th century, I'd say there's a chance there might have been one or two. The only other European cities of similar stature at this time period would be Rome and Constantinople until it fell I guess.
At the same time, our modern definition of city does not match the historical notion of such. Especially considering this is just shortly after, and somewhat during(recurring outbreaks,) the black plague ravaging the rest of Europe.
There's no reason to put blacks in the game because for all intents and purposes, they didn't exist in Europe and it would add absolutely nothing of value to the game itself just to have them for diversity's sake.

This entire argument is tinged with irony, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

And besides, IIRC the game does not take place in Prague, but in smaller settlements, which probably had even fewer black people. So one can safely say that sure, there were some black people in Bohemia, they were just not living in those smaller settlements that game takes place in.

Paul_cz

Arcane

And besides, IIRC the game does not take place in Prague, but in smaller settlements, which probably had even fewer black people. So one can safely say that sure, there were some black people in Bohemia, they were just not living in those smaller settlements that game takes place in.

Bizzare to see this stuff being rehashed again. But yeah, the game takes place in rural bohemia far from any major city. But even today blacks here are super rare. I live in a 70000 inhabitants city and I saw maybe like two blacks here over 20 years. In Prague it is obviously different, tourists everywhere, some are black.

I have no doubt if KCD sequel takes place in Prague, it will include some nonwhites. Could be some arab trader, or some romanis, whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom