Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry vs Might and Magic Poll

which series is better ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Which series you think is the best ? i dont put wizardry 1-3 because they are too old compared to the first might and magic

janior

Arcane
Patron
gotta repost this
tricycle.jpg

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Might and Magic X is too new to compare with wizardry 8,not saying that might and magic X is a better game !

PorkBarrellGuy

The poll makes no fucking sense. You omit Wiz 1-3 then proceed to match Wiz 8 against 3 different M&M entries for reasons, and you omit M&M X for no particular reason at all.

fuck it, I vote KC

EDIT: There is no reason they can't be compared with each other irrespective of release date as a retrospective on each series. Unless you're really hung up on shit like graphics, the core gameplay and relative polish of the games is how they would be judged and that doesn't need to be locked into timeframes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
The poll makes no fucking sense. You omit Wiz 1-3 then proceed to match Wiz 8 against 3 different M&M entries for reasons, and you omit M&M X for no particular reason at all.

fuck it, I vote KC

The first wizardry is from 1980,wizardry 2 is from 1982 and wizardry 3 is from 1983.First might and magic is from 1986 thats why i dont compare one with other.Wizardry 8 is the only wizardry game in 3d i think is fair to compare with the 3d might and magics from the same time.

PorkBarrellGuy

fuck it, I vote KC

The first wizardry is from 1980,wizardry 2 is from 1982 and wizardry 3 is from 1983.First might and magic is from 1986 thats why i dont compare one with other.Wizardry 8 is the only wizardry game in 3d i think is fair to compare with the 3d might and magics from the same time.

Ok, so you're hung up on things like graphics. That's the answer I was expecting, more or less.

EDIT: Your poll question is Which series is better and yet you feel the need to chop up the poll by individual entries. I don't think there's much point in that, frankly.

EDIT 2: I think in a series-to-series comparison Wizardry's always going to win here because it didn't have an unfinished bug-ridden mess like MMX in its lineup and Wiz was always much more of a blobber-fan's game than M&M. Not to say that M&M didn't have good games, but M&M is the gateway drug to blobbers and Wiz is the real shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted

fuck it, I vote KC

Ok, so you're hung up on things like graphics. That's the answer I was expecting, more or less.

EDIT: Your poll question is Which series is better and yet you feel the need to chop up the poll by individual entries. I don't think there's much point in that, frankly.

Not just graphics ! newer wizardry and might and magic have better UI,Sound quality and overall better gameplay(except might and magic in this one).Is not fair to compare the old games to the new ones.

PorkBarrellGuy

Can you qualify that "better gameplay" statement with some kind of explanation? That's like tossing a stick of dynamite into the discussion right there.

TO ELABORATE: There are a number of people who would disagree SHARPLY about a more recent entry in the series necessarily having better gameplay (and indeed there are people here who think older Wizardries are better than Wiz8 as a blobber, as one example, I'm not tagging them because I'm not in the mood to be a pest but I think aweigh would have some choice commentary on the matter)

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I only played wiz 7 and 8, I played every MM game except 2 and 3, I also never played the new one.

That being said, Xeen was more fun to me then wiz 7, although I wouldn't say the difference was so astronomical. I certainly wouldn't say wiz 7 was a bad game for the time it was just too long and too much for me.

The 6-7-8 series of MM games were also substantially more fun then wiz 8. Wiz 8 being one of the more overrated games on here unless you like 100 hours of the slowest shittiest combat you can imagine, re spawning enemies for days.

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Can you qualify that "better gameplay" statement with some kind of explanation? That's like tossing a stick of dynamite into the discussion right there.

TO ELABORATE: There are a number of people who would disagree SHARPLY about a more recent entry in the series necessarily having better gameplay (and indeed there are people here who think older Wizardries are better than Wiz8 as a blobber, as one example, I'm not tagging them because I'm not in the mood to be a pest but I think aweigh would have some choice commentary on the matter)

That your opinion but the majority of codex prefer the newer might and magic and wizardry.Wizardry games is rated like that in the top 70 Rpgs: Wizardry 8 >>> 7 >>> 6 >>> 1 >>> 4.,

Might and magic is rated like that: Might and magic 6 >>> 4 >>> 7 >>> 3.Might and magic 6 is also the highest rated in the might and magic thread.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I love both series.
M&M had some lows in MM 3-5 and especially 9, so a slight advantage to Wizardry.

MM1 vs Wiz 4: can't decide. If I have to I'd say Wiz 4 due to its uniqueness.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Compared to MM2 I think it was.
Still a good game, but not as good as MM 1, 2, 6 and 7, or or Wiz 1-7.

PorkBarrellGuy

Fair enough.

My first Wizardry was 5, I think. Not my favorite Wizardry but it has a place in my heart as the first one I played. I would tentatively agree with Wiz 8 being overrated but I still like it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Wiz 8 is one of best games of all time, though I think M&M has overall better quality games. Part of the problem is Wiz 1-3 are essentially one game with 2 expansions, while Wiz 4 was a lark and Wiz 5-7 were fan games mostly made by one person. Almost every M&M game had way more production value.

In some ways it's amazing the old Wizardry games are as good as they are given how shabby the series was treated by Sirtech. It's dumb not to include wiz 1-3 because they are "too old." ??? M&M1 is almost as old.

Fair enough.

My first Wizardry was 5, I think. Not my favorite Wizardry but it has a place in my heart as the first one I played. I would tentatively agree with Wiz 8 being overrated but I still like it.
Wiz 5 is probably my favourite Wizardry. It is the ultimate refinement of the Greenhead/Woodberg formula, with just enough Bradley to make it almost perfect. Floor layouts are really great, too. Wiz 6 and 7 are great of course, but they're something else.

Anyway, pool is shit, I vote Kingcomrade.

Wiz 5-7 were fan games mostly made by one person. Almost every M&M game had way more production value.

In some ways it's amazing the old Wizardry games are as good as they are given how shabby the series was treated by Sirtech. It's dumb not to include wiz 1-3 because they are "too old." ??? M&M1 is almost as old.

That's bullshit, Wizardry 7 was a significant, major production and Bradley had many people helping him. Not to take anything away from the dude, he was brilliant but there was an army of playtesters and shit reporting on the game.

M&M 1 was entirely coded and designed by a single person, JVC. M&M 2, which was one of the most significant leaps in a single series in the entire history of gaming, had a team of like 7 people.

M&M 6 was probably the M&M game with the highest budget, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't in the same ballpark (in addition to the fact that it was released 6 years later so overall budgets were larger)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom