Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what I don't think is moddable - what the GUI will show. You can't replace the number field in the GUI with a text field.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's what I don't think is moddable - what the GUI will show. You can't replace the number field in the GUI with a text field.

The headers being in the file with GUI strings makes me assume that the description box is simply a text UI that reads values and strings. There is a reason to believe that the header that reads the population simply can be replaced with a string, or vice versa with other headers.

Of course if quests alter these values depending on the game state then it would probably crash the game when it tries to adjust a number.

Edit: Yes, actually, probably not possible to change them. Because there are no separate values stored for the population from what I see.

For example "64b624ec-8cbb-4f0b-b27c-e01fed675b1e" is for Neketaka. There are stored IDs for using different strings depending on the ruler even for their gender, but none for population. If population of Neketaka changes in the game then it must be a numerical value adjust and game will crash when it expects the numerical value.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The headers being in the file with GUI strings makes me assume that the description box is simply a text UI that reads values and strings. There is a reason to believe that the header that reads the population simply can be replaced with a string, or vice versa with other headers.

Of course if quests alter these values depending on the game state then it would probably crash the game when it tries to adjust a number.
Yes but if the data file contains the population number as a value of type "number", and it says 3200 for Port Maje, but in the game it's displayed as "3,200" this means that this value is passed through some function which formats it before it's displayed, and when it is passed, a number is expected. The code that reads the value, formats it, and returns the formatted result is in some .dll file. The structure of the world map UI is probably in some unity file.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

This is the worst. It didn't need to be this complicated, I don't know why they processed all of this as numerical values, strings and conditionals instead of just making few strings. I guess they built up the world map as a structure before adding any of the fluff, that's what they should have been doing but why couldn't they just shortcut it?

FreeKaner

I am going to report every single one of you for autism harvesting.

Look, information about cities in early modern period before centralised governments shouldn't look like it was published by Bureau of Statistics for Ministry of Demographics. Especially not in a loosely connected island chain with colonists.

This is not autism, this is simply sensibility.

Who counted 124000 people in Neketaka, how do they know exact percentages of the races there? There were passports for showing your credentials to go through customs, not an ID processing office that adds you to database.

God damn it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The all-knowing UI has been a problem for a while now, no idea why you are surprised. Not to mention that it judges your actions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The character creation process in PoE described in no small detail the cultures and history of various races and nations. This is just the next logical step. Not that it's the best example, but we knew elves were a minority in Denerim in DA:O without having the UI tell us specifically, because it was kinda important they were. Which leads me to another prudent question of why should we care how many people there are in the different cities.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Went into Fort Deadlight. I thought about taking a calm approach. Everyone ended up dead. It was an honest mistake. I swear on me mum.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I am going to report every single one of you for autism harvesting.

Look, information about cities in early modern period before centralised governments shouldn't look like it was published by Bureau of Statistics for Ministry of Demographics. Especially not in a loosely connected island chain with colonists.

This is not autism, this is simply sensibility.

Who counted 124000 people in Neketaka, how do they know exact percentages of the races there? There were passports for showing your credentials to go through customs, not an ID processing office that adds you to database.

God damn it.
Who counted them? The taxman of course. You need to know the number of people in each household to figure out how much to tax them. Counting people doesn't require any advanced technology. Each local official will keep track of the number of people in his ward, and then the royal officials will receive their reports and sum up the population.

FreeKaner

Who counted them? The taxman of course. You need to know the number of people in each household to figure out how much to tax them. Counting people doesn't require any advanced technology. Each local official will keep track of the number of people in his ward, and then the royal officials will receive their reports and sum up the population.

No, taxmen at the time would not count individual people but rather households in regions. There are no precise population statistics before 19th century. Population assumptions existed since late 17th century but very imprecise and vague. So Neketaka's population shouldn't be counted as 124000 people but rather something like "More than 100k". In a really small towns and ports you could get precise statistics when a single person can count all of it, that's about it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
:negative:
Anyway, so apparently you can click on names of buildings on the Neketaka city map, and yo will fast travel directly to the building.

How long did it take you to discover this? You can do it in Port Maje at the beginning of da game :P

I did not discover it at all. Saw it on reddit few minutes ago, after playing full run and a couple of half-assed attemps at another.

:negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How did you not notice it? Do you not hover the mouse pointer over every single UI element?
I noticed(read about it here) it at the end of the game,it blends in with rest of the map and you look at it as a useless info like the population panel. Also it doesn't show when you are visiting a district for a fist time,normally people do this things on reflex after the first few time.You have more secrets hidden in the UI than in the game. A lot of people skipped the battle speed buttons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom