Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sinatar

Arbiter
Anyone else experiencing second-long FPS drops every minute or so? I’m generally above 60 with my GTX 1070 but the occasional stuttering grinds my gears. I’ve already applied ‘-windowed’ or whatever in the launch settings.

The game has serious memory leak issues, gotta close and restart it every hour or so.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll have to look in the xml where all the strings are. I doubt the population and such numbers are really kept as numbers and have some logic attached to them, I guess they just switch one string with another based on the player's actions.

Any news on this? It's super important.
I said I'll have to check in order to know. Not that I'll actually check. You have the game too, right?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I'll have to look in the xml where all the strings are. I doubt the population and such numbers are really kept as numbers and have some logic attached to them, I guess they just switch one string with another based on the player's actions.

I said I'll have to check in order to know. Not that I'll actually check. You have the game too, right?

Where is this .xml where all the strings are located?

Quillon

Arcane

Where is this .xml where all the strings are located?

prolly here \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\localized\en\text\game

dafuq femaletext mean?

<Entry>
<ID>2752</ID>
<DefaultText>Capital City</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>2753</ID>
<DefaultText>Limited monarchy</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>2754</ID>
<DefaultText>Population</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>
<ID>2755</ID>
<DefaultText>Government</DefaultText>
<FemaleText />
</Entry>
<Entry>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
201805291910031.jpg

"His right eye... I mean the other right, dammit!"

FreeKaner

prolly here \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\localized\en\text\game

dafuq femaletext mean?

Holy fuck they made headers and values different strings in the GUI, why would they do this? Do these descriptions even change? Are they just against me editing these descriptions? I want the precise numbers gone damn it. This will take a while.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
dafuq femaletext mean?
For localizations in languages where a word is different when it's in feminine grammatical gender (I guess). Turkish and English generally don't need to worry ;)

dafuq femaletext mean?

Holy fuck they made headers and values different strings in the GUI, why would they do this? Do these descriptions even change? Are they just against me editing these descriptions? I want the precise numbers gone damn it. This will take a while.
I thought you knew that based on your actions in the game, some of those stats may change.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought you knew that based on your actions in the game, some of those stats may change.

Which makes it an extreme tedium to change the strings without knowing the exact text because they are not categorised or ordered, this is the worst.

Is it really worth all this effort just so you can edit the map blurbs to say "Population: all gay" ?

FreeKaner

Which makes it an extreme tedium to change the strings without knowing the exact text because they are not categorised or ordered, this is the worst.

Is it really worth all this effort just so you can edit the map blurbs to say "Population: all gay" ?

I am questioning whether it's worth the effort now because I can't simply search for population and edit the following text in the string. I would have to go one by one searching effects of quests to find the IDs of strings and edit them individually. Probably not worth it and will trigger me eternally.

AwesomeButton

Patron
AwesomeButton my Bulgarian friend.

Do you think there is any way to locate strings of these population numbers without individually checking quest edits? Is there a method to this madness or did they just slap them all in these files haphazardly?
Nice bluff ;)

If the population numbers are written as strings, which may or may not be the case, they should be in those files. It's enough to check one of those numbers in the game, then do a search in directory with Notepad++ within the directory that has all the xml files and search in files' contents. I'll do it myself later.

FreeKaner

Nice bluff ;)

If the population numbers are written as strings, which may or may not be the case, they should be in those files. It's enough to check one of those numbers in the game, then do a search in directory with Notepad++ within the directory that has all the xml files and search in files' contents. I'll do it myself later.

I searched, the population headers and the rest of the descriptions such as government and trade are there. However it seems that the numbers are stored somewhere else depending on the game state.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Nice bluff ;)

I searched, the population headers and the rest of the descriptions such as government and trade are there. However it seems that the numbers are stored somewhere else depending on the game state.
NVM, it's not in the XML. Obsidian have been doing things by the book, and the value is stored as a number. Good job.

Open worldmap.gamedatabundle and search for the id "4a3978be-cc80-48e9-a5dd-aef21e46130e" for example. That's the Port Maje entry.

FreeKaner

NVM, it's not in the XML. Obsidian have been doing things by the book, and the value is stored as a number. Good job.

Open worldmap.gamedatabundle and search for the id "4a3978be-cc80-48e9-a5dd-aef21e46130e" for example. That's the Port Maje entry.

This is an ass to edit and I have to make an override too. Does your spiritual successor read JSON aside from the ones you specified in upload?

Thanks a lot by the way my heart will rest easy once I am done through with this.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't support this "$type" object yet. I thought I should first add objects which can make for more impactful changes if they are modded - movers, recovery times, global settings, items. Then I plan to look for more stuff to add.

What exactly do you want to change? Just the population sizes?

FreeKaner

I don't support this "$type" object yet. I thought I should first add objects which can make for more impactful changes if they are modded - movers, recovery times, global settings, items. Then I plan to look for more stuff to add.

What exactly do you want to change? Just the population sizes?

I mean there are a lot of stuff that can be edited in worldmap, the population and percentage values are stored here as numbers but text for other descriptions are stored as IDs for strings. So any changes, additions and removals from the world map needs to edit this as well. It would be useful beyond my rather simple desire to edit the population and percentage values to make them more vague. In fact I will probably remove the stored numbers and instead add IDs for strings with descriptive text. It shouldn't be hard considering IDs for locations are named in the GUI file.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm not sure if this will work. If you change the type of value, when the game exe accesses this value from the file expecting a number and finds a string, it will probably crash with an error message. In my experience actually the game won't even open if there is something wrong within the data files.

FreeKaner

I'm not sure if this will work. If you change the type of value, when the game exe accesses this value from the file expecting a number and finds a string, it will probably crash with an error message. In my experience actually the game won't even open if there is something wrong within the data files.

I won't change the number values to IDs, rather just make the GUI show strings that will be also written to override. The main problem is my coding ability is rather basic from making few casual mods, mainly balance and fluff.

For example changing format of this:

"Population":319

to this:

"Religions":[{"String":229},{"String":223},{"String":233}]

It shouldn't fuck anything up as long as you present the strings in override too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom