Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Random OCD question: in that old city dump under capital you meet some orc treasure hunter and later on you can clear the exit route for him to which he replies he's going to Port Maje and will have some gift for you for being a bro. I cannot find him for shit though. Any pointers?

Sloul

Savant
You got a notice that you were gifted a Rubis in the logs after interacting with him.

Sloul

Savant
three broken quests atm
Dirty Laundry - upon reporting to Castol's secretary downstairs rather than to Castol himself, the quests goes on a loop preventing you from completing it
Harsh Medicine - upon giving the Dawnstar chick pneumonia medicine (and receiving payment even), the quest does not formally complete itself
The Man of Chimes - if you kill the thug guarding the Undercroft before finishing this quest, you cannot find the godlike gang there

tldr bugsidian
I lost track of the broken quests in my game, I think there are possibly around 15 atm.

Sloul

Savant
Broken quest doesn't mean that you cannot finish them.
For instance you can come across a character who adresses you like you were already part of his quest line while you were not.
It can be the Bardetta leader taking hostile actions against you because you're helping the Valera and intend to kill her, while you're nothing like that and just came to tell her that you finished her quest.

But, it can also mean that you can't finish a quest, simply because you can't start it in the first place.
For instance a dude from the Royal Deadfire Army would tell you to come visit him after you finish some business elsewhere for him. Then, when it's time to come back to him the dude is mute.
There are some questlines for the factions: Quest 1 > Quest 2 > Quest 3 etc. It seems that even if Quest 2 is broken, Quest 3 will trigger.
So in the end, yes, you can finish all quests lines, but some situations are just akward.

What about Oswald who got decapitated in front of you, and when you advance your character toward the Woedicans there is a discussion which triggers with their leader asking you who you are, fallowed by Oswald who asks you if you can help him (while is cadaver is on the ground and thus should not trigger this conversation).

Sizzle

Arcane
I had one or two instances of broken triggers, resolved them pretty quickly by talking to the NPC again.

Sloul

Savant
no??
who would stand around watching him being decapitated instead of rushing in to help?
I am lost here. Am I talking to someone with a brain?
What does it matter why someone would wait? i waited because I wanted to see the full dialogue until his execution. Which was pretty cool btw.
And yes:

20180515113054_1.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
What does it matter why someone would wait? i waited because I wanted to see the full dialogue until his execution. Which was pretty cool btw.
And yes:

20180515113054_1.jpg
that's what you get for wanting to watch an innocent old man be executed

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And yes:

20180515113054_1.jpg
I let him get killed. A bunch of people wanting revenge from a coward and a traitor. Also i was Aedyr noble,let the bastard get what he deserves! Why should i kill 5 guys to save a scum like him? Also i found him before i got the quest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The Man of Chimes - if you kill the thug guarding the Undercroft before finishing this quest, you cannot find the godlike gang there

The gang isn't in the undercroft. There's just a dead guy with a ~soul~ to be read in delver's row, the actual gang is in dunnage.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've actually killed the gang guarding the Undercroft on my way out of Old City ruins, after going down there via elevator to find some old guy (fuckers pulled the elevator up, stealthed all the way up to those guards).
There are no consequences for killing them, apart from faction reputation loss (which is negligible if you complete a few Principi quests).

Now that I think about it, this accidental party crashing happened a few times, like triggering alarm in Arkemyr's basement through the bath house. It's like they didn't think players would thoroughly explore every area, even if they didn't pick up quests pertaining to hidden doors.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Even though I was planning on waiting for it to go on sale, I ended up budging and purchased it. Played it for a while, and even though it is overall clicking much better with me than the first one, I'm still at the point where I might refund.

So, in order to make up my mind, I thought I'd ask the folks in this thread some questions about how it plays in the long run:

-Regarding exploration, the whole idea that you can freely roam the archipelago and explore individual islands with optional dungeons and encounters is very appealing to me on its face. But I wonder about the extent to which it synergizes with the PoE exp system, since part of the fun of exploring for me is gaining exp and developing my character in the process. So, are the encounters varied enough that you generally will get exp from exploring, or are there unmarked quests or triggers that give you exp as you do so? If not, what prevents the exploration from feeling pointless? The loot? Just to be clear, I am not talking about side quests, but about free exploration.

-So there has been a lot of talk about how easy the game is. In terms of challenge, how do Normal and PotD compare to their counterparts in similar games like PoE1, the BGs, IWDs, and Tyranny?

-Are the romances intrusive? I plan on running a custom party, so I imagine that won't be a problem.

-Yes, I know it will make things easier, but party customization is one of the things I always did enjoy about this franchise, and I plan on exploiting the multiclassing and trying different stuff. Any tips on fun combos?

-So there is multiclassing now, and also subclassing, which seems like kits pretty much. Is there also some form of dual classing?

-Are the ship mechanics intrusive/annoying?

The first issue I mentioned is probably the one I am most curious about right now, but info on all of this stuff is much appreciated.
1. Exploration reveals dungeons, quests, items, and a side-kick that you would not cross on the critical path. The critical path by itself is rather short and compact, and much of the map is side content. That side content is the best part in my opinion, because there are a lot of different dungeons, not all of which are combat focused. For example, there is a dungeon of purely traps that grow increasingly harder to find/disable. Furthermore, you do receive xp for exploring certain island chains.

2. I would not say that PotD stacks up to PoE1 even. I would point to three reasons: overpowered multiclass combinations; empowered spells; and certain item combinations. Avoid the use of empower, especially if you want to maintain any semblance of difficulty past level 10-12. For example, a single cast of empowered minolleta's concussive missiles from a multiclass character (damage is weaker than a pure mage) is enough to win most encounters, especially encounters in which melee enemies bunch up. Otherwise, Obsidian just needs to rebalance PotD.

3. I would not call the romances intrusive per se, because you can just ignore it and move on. I would say that it is a distraction due to all the triggers that can happen.

4. Rogue, fighter, and chanter make decent classes to multi with. Spellblade (Assasin/Wizard) is incredibly strong, because your spells receive the sneak attack bonus if you attack from stealth. Herald (paladin/chanter) can make a sturdy tank. Swashbuckler (rogue/fighter) can also make a good tank, because rogue has a passive feat named Persistent Distraction which applies a -5 perception debuff to all enemies engaged by the character. Combine persistent distraction with the fighters engagement abilities/feats and you have a nice support tank.

My favorite is Thaumaturge (Priest of Eothas/Wizard). It is far from optimal, because you obtain more spells than you can possibly cast. The multitude of spells is why I like it though. You can interweave a variety of buffs, damage spells, and heals. With the buffs, I believe you have a plethora of options to min/maxing attributes. For example, Wizards obtain the spell Infuse with Vital Essence that grants 5+ intellect and constitution very early in the game, which has a .4 second cast time. With that spell, I do not believe you need to max intellect, and you can perhaps skip on constitution. For these reasons, I find Thaumaturge flexible, but you need to bring a lot of dexterity and forgo most armor in my opinion.

5. I am on the fence with respect to the ship mechanics. I actually enjoyed some of the CYOA canon fights, but whether you choose boarding actions or CYOA battles, it can become monotonous after a while.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Oh man, I just realized sea shanties aren't just random folks songs, but they have reworked lyrics to be lore consistent. Josh you absolute nutjob.

Hold fast to the helm, hold fast to the wind.
Heave-ho, Aim'Spirente!
Ondra's grace, or we'll all be skinned
As we sail down Deadfire way.

:balance:

Haul Away And Go goes one better and directly references the events of the first game:
Young Gathbin sought the Yenwood crown
Long past the revolution
The Watcher met him on the field
He gave him execution

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ha, that's good too. So all this time I had bunch of drunken sailors sing about my heroic achievements, and I didn't even realize it. :(

Seriously, that is so retarded to go to the effort to have lore-friendly shanties, and then only play them on the sea and play them so quiet and muffled by environmental sounds, you can barely make out the lyrics. And whoever thought shanties need to be gated behind some retarded mini game where the crew needd to have high morale or some shit?

Typical Obsidian, hide the best fucking part of the soundtrack so the player can't hear it. Smh.

Poking around YouTube, I can see they also have two versions of each shanty. I thought they said it changes depending on whether you have female sailors? Even fucking shanties need to be inclusive these days I guess.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Maculo

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have avoided the Empower thing from the get go, the whole thing just reeks of awesome button.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Anyone else experiencing second-long FPS drops every minute or so? I’m generally above 60 with my GTX 1070 but the occasional stuttering grinds my gears. I’ve already applied ‘-windowed’ or whatever in the launch settings.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I'll have to look in the xml where all the strings are. I doubt the population and such numbers are really kept as numbers and have some logic attached to them, I guess they just switch one string with another based on the player's actions.

Any news on this? It's super important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom