Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fine wine, Jazz and cRPG

Jokzore

Arbiter
I've already said all of this in previous threads but I feel like it deserves a place of its own.

Recently I've noticed a lot discussions and gaem-nus articles written by people who don't seem to like video games very much, or at least not the ones they're playing.

Since video games broke into the mainstream and became more widely accepted the old classics such as Fallout have achieved somewhat of a legendary status. They've come to be considered highbrow entertainment you can only enjoy if your pallet is sophisticated enough. PST is Crime and Punishment of the digital sphere.

However this meant an influx of kids who grew up on Skyrim and Call of Dooder trying out the oldies purely for the bragging rights. They want to feel superior to their normie friends. Prove that their taste in entertainment is refined, that they're cultured and above the dudebros and casuals playing their Gears of War *yuck*.

But what happens when they find out that they enjoy the idea of playing a cRPG far more than actually doing it? Well it can't be their fault can it? Denial starts kicking in, it can't be that their taste is no different than that of the people they look down upon. No it must be the games fault. And so articles and forum threads are created demanding change. ''Dark Souls Needs an Easy Mode'' '' RPGs should be shorter'' , and of course all of the heated debates and insults soon follow.

I guess the point is-- Just enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. Short, long, wordy, actiony, easy, difficult, it's just video games, play whatever you find fun. Don't feel ashamed, don't pretend and certainly don't try to change things other people enjoy just so you can feel better about yourself.

To each their own.

TLDR: Some of us like pepperoni on our pizza and some of us are godless heathens that enjoy pineapple. Who cares? Just eat your own, there's enough pizza for everybody.

Ash

Arcane
I don't think taste in entertainment is entirely analogous to taste in food. You can't help the latter whatsoever. Meanwhile kiddies growing up with modern games, many can be given a monocle. They just have to invest heavily in video game history first and foremost, even the very simple stuff like Donkey Kong Country and Doom to begin with, and have it explained concisely what makes those games good. With more and more exposure their tastes will refine, their mind will be more open and maybe the codex can issue them their first monocle with time...or a derogatory tag.

P.S fuck you storyfaggot. :D

Jokzore

Arbiter
kiddies growing up with modern games, many can be given a monocle.

They certainly can. But if it doesn't click, it doesn't click and there's no point in forcing it. 40 or 14 some will like Fallout 2 and some will like Fallout 3 and that shouldn't change just because Codex shamed you into denying it.

Ash

Arcane
They certainly can. But if it doesn't click, it doesn't click and there's no point in forcing it. 40 or 14 some will like Fallout 2 and some will like Fallout 3 and that shouldn't change just because Codex shamed you into denying it.

Sometimes it doesn't click out of ignorance. Why something is the way it is. Why are all these numbers in my interface necessary in Fallout? Because it results in build choice, C&C, ever-evolving gameplay as you progress, high replayability, player expression/role-playing...it may not click for the player because they may not understand any of that, and one should at least try to explain, politely and concisely. Well, if it's the codex then call them a retard et al of course
rating_prestigious.png

Last edited:

DexRiwus

Novice
Nah, some Games are pieces of shit and everyone should know why it is the case. The fact that you like shit game does not make it a better game, it makes you a person who enjoys shit (For example Fallout 3 fan is synonymous with Coprophile)

PrettyDeadman

People who need to validate their tastes in rpg by comparing them to other "classy" activities such as jazz or wine are posers and would've been much happier if they aknowledged their pleb nature and stopped trying too hard.

nobre

Cipher
Yes OP, you are one of the true connoisseurs of fine CRPG's unlike those poseurs, or you are one of those truly free-thinking individuals who just play what they enjoy, unlike those other poseurs who need the validation of others. (Pick the one you like best, I haven't read your post very closely)

Jokzore

Arbiter
Yes OP, you are one of the true connoisseurs of fine CRPG's unlike those poseurs, or you are one of those truly free-thinking individuals who just play what they enjoy, unlike those other poseurs who need the validation of others. (Pick the one you like best, I haven't read your post very closely)

The point was there's people out there playing Dark Souls just so they can brag about how they beat it, not because they enjoy it. Same goes for people who play fallout 1 just so they can feel superior to all of their fallout 3 fan buddies. But they don't really enjoy it and then proceed to make posts criticizing the games and demanding changes so it fits more into what they actually like.

That's the problem. If you like a game then play it, if you don't , then don't fucking play it, don't write articles or forum threads demanding Bloodborne gets an easy mode. Just play whatever fits you.

EDIT: It annoys me because I see the same patter I see in all of the SJW bs demanding well established franchises and characters change to fit their politics.

Sometimes it doesn't click out of ignorance. Why something is the way it is. Why are all these numbers in my interface necessary in Fallout? Because it results in build choice, C&C, ever-evolving gameplay as you progress, high replayability, player expression/role-playing...it may not click for the player because they may not understand any of that, and one should at least try to explain, politely and concisely. Well, if it's the codex then call them a retard et al of course
rating_prestigious.png
Good approach, it is one of the best, I did this with a little cousin of mine. I introduced him to Arcanum and he loved it.

I think OP is getting confused and arguing for a certain type of people that generally just do not like video games and wish for it to be something akin to films or a different type of medium altogether. This is the fault of the people in said hobby not implementing a standard. I don't think anyone should give any criticism or analysis on games unless you have played all of the classics and have seen how video games have evolved (or diminish) throughout the decades. Especially a complicated genre such as RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom