Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

ColCol

Arcane
So a Geneforge remake or spiritual successor?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This doesn't mean that all of the games in the future will be Bioware clones.
What Bioware clones? Serious question; I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I have no idea what they could mean. When—or in what way, has he copied Bioware? (...presumably their mechanics?)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In Avadon 1 & 2 (haven't played the 3rd one) the party quests and dialogues seemed vaguely reminiscent of Bioware. There was nothing like that in the previous games (which were a lot better imo)

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Ah... So it's a dialog thing. I am going to guess this means multiple responses that all lead to the same outcome.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Pretty sure that was the case. But the Bioware thing may have come from the fact that Vogel also tried to connect the player to the characters emotionally. I don't remember the details, frankly -- I found the Geneforges and Avernums to be a lot more memorable (if repetitive).

tindrli

Arcane
o4xIUZj.gif

The last remake of Avernum! until another remake

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
What Bioware clones? Serious question; I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I have no idea what they could mean. When—or in what way, has he copied Bioware? (...presumably their mechanics?)

Re: Avadon: Instead of a team of characters you make yourself that just blob around with you, never saying anything, you now start as just one character you build yourself and then meet 'companions' who are predefined personalities (which you can still use and level as you wish), but they all have companion missions and specifically irritating personalities. At the end of the game some might leave you rather than fight the end boss. [If you choose to even fight the end boss].

The game has a hub rather than a continuous open world where you always return to, in order to catch up with companions and various NPC stories and then proceed to the next mission. The narrative is always based around the desires of the hub.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

The Avadons were inspired by Bioware in that they are very focused on recruitable NPCs that you build relationships with, complete individual quests for, and the area maps are very linear and hub focused, much like a bioware game.

Other than that, though, the combat is still turn based and it's still very much a spiderweb game. So I think people shitting all over the games is overdone. There is more C&C in the Avadons than there ever was in the Avernums, but people don't shit on the Avernums anywhere near as much.

ortucis

Prophet
His older games are not even that good. The main reason most people supported him was in hopes he would be able to do bigger, more complex, higher budget games over time. That's also how he heavily marked himself back in the day as well, if I just had more money money money I could make the most amazing hardcore RPGs!

Instead he took the money and made some shitty cell phone games and then shit on all the old fans who complained about it, pointing out how much money he was getting for them which proved he was right. Now there's 150 bucks or so I wish I had not wasted, a couple of the geneforges were decent but if I knew the endgame I would not have bought anything from that guy.

I honestly don't care about his games, but have been following his blog for a long time and he seems to be pretty open and honest about the quality and limits of his games (like using same pre-rendered sprites from Poser). Sure he might have "streamlined" his games, but to reach bigger audience, every developer must make changes. Same few hundred fans are nice and all, but a few thousand more are better over time.

Mustawd

I'd only give him money for a Geneforge remake if he agrees that "Geneforge" is a 3 syllable word, pronounced "Gen -i- forge" Like you pronounce the word "Genesis." Vogel pronounces it "Jean - Forge" and it's fucking retarded. Way too literal and on the nose.

3 syllables doesn't make grammatical sense. "Gene" and "forge" refers to the creating of creatures. Stop pretending to be dumb. It's JeanForge. Deal with it.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
3 syllables doesn't make grammatical sense. "Gene" and "forge" refers to the creating of creatures. Stop pretending to be dumb. It's JeanForge. Deal with it.

Do you pronounce Genesis as "Jean - sis"? The way the word is written, it's actually more natural to pronounce it as 3 syllables because all words that have the "gene" prefix are pronounced as such (genetic, genesis, generate, etc, etc). It would only be pronounced the way that Vogel pronounces it if it was written as "Gene-forge."

I took an informal poll on Spiderweb forums once and 1/2 people assumed it was pronounced "gen - i - forge" and the other half assumed it was pronounced "Jean - forge," so I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Do you pronounce Genesis as "Jean - sis"? The way the word is written, it's actually more natural to pronounce it as 3 syllables because all words that have the "gene" prefix are pronounced as such (genetic, genesis, generate, etc, etc). It would only be pronounced the way that Vogel pronounces it if it was written as "Gene-forge."

I took an informal poll on Spiderweb forums once and 1/2 people assumed it was pronounced "gen - i - forge" and the other half assumed it was pronounced "Jean - forge," so I'm not the only one.

Geneforge is a made up name by Vogel. You're ignoring context. Stop being dumb.

Also, please stop pretending English has internal consistency.

A group of ppl from Poland: Polish
A group of ppl from China: Chinese
A group of ppl from India: Indians
A group of ppl from France: Retards.

Where's ur consistency god now?

It's Jeanforge. Deal with it.

Mustawd

Maybe I should talk to him and offer my services for a reasonable amount of $$$ if I'll have too much free time after Das Geisterschiff.

Vogel: Wait...say that again.
ZZ: The whole thing. Environmnt, PCs, NPCs, UI, text box. All orange.
Vogel: All of it?
ZZ: All of it.
Vogel: Super orange?
ZZ: Fuck yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, fun is allowed in concentration camps? I thought it was a meditation camp to develop, y'know, concentration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom