Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Is the Codex compliant with new EU regulation regarding private data?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I crippled up my leg a few weeks ago and can't walk for another month or two and somehow google knows this and keeps showing me ads for this hilarious kind of strap on peg leg thing that costs 149 bucks. I thought it was just coincidence at first but I keep getting it more and mre, I gotta say they have a point when they seem to know something I didn't even type on the computer somewhere.

Google knew we were having a baby.

Even though I had never done any baby related searches.
Phone. Location data at a clinic. Purchases made. Someone in your circle of friends.

Or your mic was turned on and they're snooping. Facebook does that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, part of the problem is in the fact that every company will have to invest both time and money to adapt to new regulations.

Yeah, so?

Who exactly should invest the time and money if not those that gather your data in the first place?

Which are maximally bureaucratic, partly nonsensical and lack efficient standardization. EU style.

Not to mention the incoming abuse trend of end users that started the day off the wrong foot.

But don't worry, every EU country already has couple of key corporations offering their "expert consultancy" on the topic. Which of course, comes with outrageously overblown price.

lul, sure thing, bro, it's so bad. Why can't all the EU be controlled by corporations like the USA is so they don't have to deal with this kind of draconian pro-consumer regulations?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
GDPR is pretty great. The EU is a mixed bag but this is one element that I believe is for the good of all citizens inside it, just wish the entire EU could be good regulations like this.

Astral Rag

Arcane
inb4 DU gets arrested and sent to another prison island and Donald Tusk becomes the head honcho of the dex.

Origin

Augur
Well, part of the problem is in the fact that every company will have to invest both time and money to adapt to new regulations.

Yeah, so?

Yeah, so if we lived in a naive, flowery powery fairy tale, I would assume - oh, it's a great regulation that will protect my privacy.

I don't have a problem with how goals of GDPR sound on a paper. I'm having a big problem with suggested implementation, and how it negatively affects things from economical aspect.

There is a reason why regulation is completely rendundant and why it lacks transparency and standardization.

It's intentionaly messed up for the sole purpose of filling the budget by leeching organizations of capital with draconian fines, creating new govermental agencies, bullshit positions like "GDPR consultant", "GDPR inspector", and similar useless jobs, funded by taxpayers.

Behind altruistic disguise, it's a commie law in its most rotten, bureaucratic form.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, so if we lived in a naive, flowery powery fairy tale, I would assume - oh, it's a great regulation that will protect my privacy.

I don't have a problem with how goals of GDPR sound on a paper. I'm having a big problem with suggested implementation, and how it negatively affects things from economical aspect.

There is a reason why regulation is completely rendundant and why it lacks transparency and standardization.

It's intentionaly messed up for the sole purpose of filling the budget by leeching organizations of capital with draconian fines, creating new govermental agencies, bullshit positions like "GDPR consultant", "GDPR inspector", and similar useless jobs, funded by taxpayers.

Behind altruistic disguise, it's a commie law in its most rotten, bureaucratic form.
There is a difference between you letting people know your name and address and phone number, and someone stalking you, breaking into your home and steal your driver's license and your kid's first tooth.

whatevername

Arcane
Yeah, so we're just banning people from the EU so we don't have to deal with their shitty regulations. A big box will pop up asking if you're from the EU, if you say no, you can access the forum. If you say yes, you get to visit RPG Watch.
If you say yes, it shows you a gif of a tomahawk with a nuclear warhead being launched from a sub and flying towards Brussels.

PrettyDeadman

rpgcodex wants to obtain all the benefits of eurioean civilization like internet and videogames, but doesn't want to share resposibilities or european culture.
Whom does that remind you?

whatevername

Arcane
rpgcodex wants to obtain all the benefits of eurioean civilization like internet and videogames, but doesn't want to share resposibilities or european culture.
Whom does that remind you?
Elite, the Dizzy series, The Longest Journey, EVE Online.. That's 4 good games made by the great European civilization in 40 years, oh and burqas in regards to the culture.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, so we're just banning people from the EU so we don't have to deal with their shitty regulations. A big box will pop up asking if you're from the EU, if you say no, you can access the forum. If you say yes, you get to visit RPG Watch.
Fine up to 4% of company 's worldwide annual turnover, or up to 20 millions EUR whichever is triggered. Buh bye obsidian advertisement money :) . Also i may reminds you poland is oddly still part of the EU, that's more than 50 % of the codexers...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Clearly, banning Polish IPs site-wide is the solution. Coming soon!
So what do the stats look like now? Has the percentage of Poles in relation to all users increased since DU posted this? http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-2016-goty-results.113518/page-3#post-4954628

index.php

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The EU is full of cucks.

Who gives a fuck what we comply with.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
All time for Poles is still around 8%, but those stats are for site pages only. Forums would likely have somewhat different stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom