Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Agony - non Unity horror FPS

Egosphere

Arcane
:edgy:

Seriously, it looks piss poor.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If this is an FPS I'm wondering what the 'S' stands for as it's certainly not 'shooter'. Not seen any 'slashing' either, although I have seen plenty of 'strolling'.

Agony, a first-person stroller.

Looks like they were inspired by closing Oblivion Gates and thought taking the enemies out would make it more interesting. Seriously, show us some damn combat if you want us to think about buying your game. I've watched all the videos in this thread and I haven't seen any combat at all. It's possible I may have clicked through it while fast-forwarding, but I don't think so. Spells? Weapons? Fast/ slow pace? Melee? Ranged? It's like they purposely don't want to show it which is probably not a good sign.

Big Wrangle

Well that looks fucking boring, was hoping it would be edgy enough to loop into funny territory. Maybe it will later but those 10 minutes are the epitome of mediocre.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Tbh the very first 2-3 game demos/trailers got me excited, but since then it got worse. With all these "magical" things (pink particles, purple effects, shimmering hot spots, etc.) it suddenly looks more like Skyrim than Hell. The magic kills the magic of the game. Not gonna play it... instead watching an LP.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is a fantasy thing pretty much so clearly it has to have off-the-wall Day-Glow neon smears and sparkles, I mean just wow what do you expect my dude?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haha, i expected the walking simulator part, didn't expect them to fuck up their own visual design.

Big Wrangle

High quality dialogue that makes Shakespeare shudder.
qWdjn9A.png

Big Wrangle

How do you kill someone who's already dead and in Hell anyway? Where do they go to to, Michigan?

ortucis

Prophet
When your level design in a linear game is so bad, you have to include a spell to show breadcrumbs for the player..

The new gameplay trailer is the worst gameplay trailer I've ever seen in the last few months. Level designed by some idiot, then enhanced by throwing camera blur, post processing and shit load of particle effects which clash with everything else in the level.

At least they are good at making bullshots.

Big Wrangle

These are the reviews so far.
Pihgz95.jpg

"A masterfully rendered interpetation of Hell, Agony is an artistic accomplishement rivaling the likes of David Lynch. The wonderfully Shakespearean narrative combined with an exploration-driven gameplay makes this game on par with masterpieces like the Legacy of Kain series and Coldsteel the Hedgeheg."
G6IIfNn.png

"With its bold and nuanced approach to personal suffering and the temptation of lust, Agony is the kind of game that proves the medium as an artform. A bold artistic achievement, much like Lesiure Suit Larry"
ljIPmSs.png

"Demons, ass, titties, gore, it's just what any REAL gamer wants. However, Agony is smarter than that; by being so blunt about the surface value, the game manages to sink deep into heavy themes heavily reminiscent of Planescape: Torment."
NilD7Qt.png

"Very rarely did a game with so much brutality leave me with a smile on my face. Despite its gruesomeness, there is a beauty to the game's execution and symbolism. One could say Agony is a dark fairy tale, albeit with much, much more depth... wait that's Darkwood."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Hell is simply not a good setting for horror games. The reason why Layers of Fear or Soma or whatever work is because those settings are not supposed to be scary, while being scary is literally the only thing Hell is even supposed to be.

They should've just made another Painkiller.

ortucis

Prophet
"Demons, ass, titties, gore, it's just what any REAL gamer wants. However, Agony is smarter than that; by being so blunt about the surface value, the game manages to sink deep into heavy themes heavily reminiscent of Planescape: Torment."

Yeah, this is why most of this game's promo relies on demon titties. Giant Turd twats trying to throw in "Planescape" to show how they "know" gaming, is just hilarious. I bet these people think Gone Home was 10/10 storytelling masterpiece.

If a game can't get a gameplay trailer right, chances of it getting a whole game right by "sinking into heavy themes", are none.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Perhaps if you tried to reinvent Hell. Maybe. Possibly.

Ever played this?

Layers of Fear looks good, but that's pretty much it. That game is actually a good example of how to use visual effects properly and tie in the levels together without breaking the theme.

Other than that, the game is nothing but same shit gameplay you see in every indie "horror" title. Moving walls, doors which open only when you trigger a specific thing in a sequence, pointless puzzles (cause horror = puzzles herpderp) and majority of it means nothing. It isn't even a good psychological horror game.

Maybe it's a hell for the player who's stuck playing it and has to pretend to be excited for his YouTube channel.

I know it's not about Hell, just thought LS might be interested.

By the way, those reviews in Big Wrangle's post are not real.

Big Wrangle

I dropped some big hints in that shitpost's text anyway, but I wouldn't be shocked if it becomes accidental satire. Not that I have the intelligence for such things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom