Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Aildrik

Savant
Platforming sections.

There are fucking platforming sections in SOTA.

Because everyone loved them in U8 & U9..

Sorry for the slight tangent, but I have to say one of the biggest disappointments in my CRPG life had to be the redesign of U9 :( I remember playing U8 in college and while it was a major, shocking change from U7 I had some hope when I saw the ending.

http://hacki.bootstrike.com/english/articles_orig.htm
Shadows of what could have been :( The Ultima series was such a fond part of my childhood (esp. Ultima IV on our family's Apple IIc), sad how the single player series ended.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You were saying ?

That was absolutely horrible.

Also, there is zero voice acting actually in the game. Yet I've seen someone on Twitter point Gariott to a technology that allows lip-synching based on sound and Garriott said that they would "look into it".

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
"Hi. I paid for some virtual housing I never got and I am quite disappointed at the developers."
"STOP PUBLIC SHAMING."

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...own-towns-time-to-deliver-portalarium.126991/

edit : They deleted the posts, but yes, some people were accusing of "public shaming" the developers for failing to deliver the goods he bought. This, once again, is the kind of people SOTA makes a living from.

2wBMREL.png

WC5eC4O.png

Q5JLFqu.png

In many ways, a poor man's Star Citizen.

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
You were saying ?

Slowly but surely this game is hitting autism levels otherwise only found at furry conventions.
Then again... the lead designer of furcadia was a core developer on early Ultima games.

Is SotA some sort of satanic missing link, closing the gap between those two groups?

:shredder:

Mortmal

Arcane
Just went through a part of the main quest whose solution was looting a chest while the shadow of a statue passes through it.
Now it seems quite a novel idea, initially. Except :

-When you have to wait for 20 to 30 minutes IRL for the shadow to be in the right position.
-There is a graphical option to turn the shadows off, which must mean that this quest must be incredibly confusing to the people with low end computers who made it to that point.

But whatever, because to get there, do you know what kind of shit i had to go through ?

Platforming sections.

There are fucking platforming sections in SOTA.

Because everyone loved them in U8 & U9.

So they decided it would even be better in a fucking MMO.

Jesus Christ.

Anyways, 9 of the 11 items of the Ultimate Fetch Quest are now recovered. I suppose the game ends shortly after I get the rest of the two ? I don't know, but god, please, let it be that way.

Think you are dead and in fact in RPG hell to pay for all your sins and taxing poor people !

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Review writing has started.

Looking forward to it.

Are you including any history of the project?

Or are you reviewing the game as it exists now?

Yes, it's actually going to be much more than a review so I'm not sure Codex will approve it (not to mention this is the first time I review something in English). And yes, I will also be addressing the history of the project and the community, because it is a game that is impossible to understand or even review fairly without adressing that. It's going to be quite lengthy. As I've said, if it doesn't get accepted, I'll just post it in this topic.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This will probably be much more entertaining that actually playing the game, really look forward to it

Mortmal

Arcane
Review writing has started.

Looking forward to it.

Are you including any history of the project?

Or are you reviewing the game as it exists now?

Yes, it's actually going to be much more than a review so I'm not sure Codex will approve it (not to mention this is the first time I review something in English). And yes, I will also be addressing the history of the project and the community, because it is a game that is impossible to understand or even review fairly without adressing that. It's going to be quite lengthy. As I've said, if it doesn't get accepted, I'll just post it in this topic.
Its not an obsidian game, it wont be accepted. They did not book any front page advertisement.

grimace

Arcane
Its not an obsidian game, it wont be accepted. They did not book any front page advertisement.

What advertisements (if any) have you seen for Shroud of the Avatar?

I see them Instagram. I have used hashtags and @s to Portalarium on Instagram in the past. Because I shilled. (I still shill, but I used to shill too.)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
So. In my review I'm talking about the community. Back in my political science studies, I found the best way to write an article about a community is to embed yourself in it.

Was that really a community of sicophants like I heard ?

It couldn't be as bad as it seemed.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-message-for-the-people.128395/

7f2a36c7-24cc-499d-84f7-f1dc2a80dc78.png

4e5fb357-22e9-4583-8703-34150f618c40.png

f8f0b4b8-23ee-4e41-b82a-97cd43a4c278.png

And less than five minutes later :

7d176ad3-4f70-4df5-93fa-e593b975764d.png

Trolling, mayhap, but nothing indecent. But Offtopic really ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Yes this is a game that's going to be saved by its communi--

84762020-b517-4a0a-999c-501d70c79911.png

Nevermind.

I heard something about a new game called "Cultist simulator", it probably has nothing on SOTA, which is the real thing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wait, do they stand around in a virtual place doing small talk, or how do I have to imagine this? I suppose these are all grown-up people?

This is so weird

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Wait, do they stand around in a virtual place doing small talk, or how do I have to imagine this? I suppose these are all grown-up people?

This is so weird

I really wanted to attend the latest dance party but couldn't, sadly. There's youtube videos of it though.

Aildrik

Savant
Damn, is it possible this kind of shit is what Garriott really wanted in UO, but couldn't due to graphical limitations? Was UO actually saved by the limits of computer hardware?

Aildrik

Savant
Wow, here is another gem. Can't tell if this guy is trolling or really an insufferable sycophant:

grovel1.jpg

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane

This is so weird

There is a Role Playing component to Shroud of the Avatar when played online.

World of Warcraft had Role Play Servers and PVP Role Play Servers and Servers for casuals.

SotA has one persistent world for the player to explore. This means you can visit a players house without concern that it's on another server.

The dance parties are a mix of casual and meta talk about the game, role playing (and Erotic Role Playing), item buying/selling/trading, etc.

The parties bring players together. If you don't want your avatar to dance you can attend a happy hour in a tavern. Just like your DnD characters would do!

You cannot create and play as a "child" character ... but you can "role play" "age play" if you choose.

As for the age of the player at his/her/their keyboard, you can ask them ... but they might provide the age of their avatar (strictly role-playing).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom