Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Silva

Arcane
Whining aside, it's amazing how much better this is then DS3. Coming from a playthrough of the latter with my son and the boy is immediately hooked in this and don't want to go back. He just got the drake tail sword.

I understand the sour taste it let in PC players mouths due to DSfix existence, but for console players it's a beautiful port that will wipe the floor with DS2/3 for any novice player who gives it the chance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Whining aside, it's amazing how much better this is then DS3. Coming from a playthrough of the latter with my son and the boy is immediately hooked in this and don't want to go back.

This warms my heart. Even kids can clearly see the difference between a masterpiece and shovelware. Meanwhile we have 13 Codexers in the Best Souls? thread voting for DS3. Just goes to show it's the mental age that matters.

Bocian

Arcane
Most people got it for the active online community. Also they updated online features from what I hear.
PTDE had perfectly stable multiplayer features with PVP Watchdog and Wulf's Connection mod. We never asked for this remaster.
:neveraskedforthis:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PTDE had perfectly stable multiplayer features with PVP Watchdog and Wulf's Connection mod. We never asked for this remaster.

Well the Remaster was never really meant for PC. It's just Bamco decided to make a current-gen console port and hey, while we're at it why not sell it to the PC crowd too, right?

On consoles it makes a lot more sense but even then it's still criminally lazy and low-effort.

Villagkouras

Arcane
How the fuck is possible to like Anor Londo so much, coming from areas like the Undead Burg/Parish, Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and the Painted World?

The guys who designed Blighttown and Ariamis need a fucking medal. I played today Ariamis for the first time, blind and it was a masterpiece. I mean, From charges for DLCs with worse areas.

And then, it's Anor Londo. The most overrated area in the series which leads to probably the most overrated boss fight in the series.

It has retarded level design (the window crack at the start), flying enemies that fall to their death, a huge area with nothing, bad bonfire placement, the archers who I had an epiphany to parry to get through and the interior is bland. Most people say everything is going downhill after Anor Londo, I say the decline starts there. Although I like some later areas more. This place gets away because it's beautiful.

But seriously, DS1 >>> everything as a game. Take Blighttown for example. It's big, complex, vertical, deadly. It has a cool boss and you ring the bell. Now you have to crawl your way back to Firelink Shrine, there is no fucking warping. You go there and you realize that the bonfire is off. Sure there are so many bonfires nearby, but you have to be extra careful because should you die, you're going to Blighttown again.

From never dared to do this again. Other games, while great, are so "gamey": Go to a new area, explore and fight, open the shortcut, repeat, kill the boss, next level. The first DS is an adventure, a constant struggle against the game and yourself. It's so charming. I thought that I liked it because it's the first of this kind I played. Nope, it's just superior as an experience. The worst is DS3. Clearly DS1 is a work of love, while DS3 is a professionally made piece of obligation.

All I want from future From games is to think about removing bonfire wrap until later in the game, be more creative in shortcuts and have more complex design in levels.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It has retarded level design (the window crack at the start), flying enemies that fall to their death, a huge area with nothing, bad bonfire placement, the archers who I had an epiphany to parry to get through and the interior is bland. Most people say everything is going downhill after Anor Londo, I say the decline starts there. Although I like some later areas more. This place gets away because it's beautiful.
The window crack at the start and the archers are really bad yeah (especially the archers, probably the worst encounter in all of soulsborne by a mile). Other than that it's a pretty cool place though.

Beggar

Cipher
I dont get anor londo phenomena also. Average level design and poor job placing all those enemies in an uninteresting manner

mwnn85

Savant
So this "remastered" version got released...

The dire performance (without mods) is fixed; there's no longer any need for DSFIX or DSMOUSEFIX or any other third party stuff for basic functionality to work correctly.
I've not come across any slowdowns and I'm not affected by the not enough memory startup bug.

There's some slight improvements to the lighting and other (wet wall) surfaces.
Minor cosmetic changes - blue item glow, white area transitions.
It doesn't particularly look any better than downscaled DSFIX.
In the Graphic Settings main menu only resolution, vsync, aa, blur, ssao can be changed.

The default controls are a lot better now and the game menus finally reflect the actual key bindings.
I've got a XBOX360 controller in the drawer but mouse + keyboard is quite viable - standard WASD.
Mouselook no longer feels like something that's been hacked together.
Not adding a simple key bind to reliably and quickly pull off a leap attack/kick is an obvious oversight.

W+LMB=KICK
W+SHIFT+LMB=LEAP ATTACK
SHIFT+LMB=STRONG ATTACK
SHIFT+RMB=PARRY
SHIFT+ MOUSEWHEEL=WEAPON CHANGE

Other than that I'm not really seeing anything that justifies the £35 price. Prepare to Die Edition is no longer available directly through STEAM.
The game is starting to show it's age from a technical standpoint and this "remastering" hasn't really done much to improve it.
If you were expecting Dark Souls on the Dark Souls 3 engine - you might be disappointed.
The models and environments look identical to the older release.
The game is still as enjoyable but I never pretended or cared to make any sense of the story.
It probably should've been released as a free update.

Deflowerer

Arcane
How the fuck is possible to like Anor Londo so much, coming from areas like the Undead Burg/Parish, Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and the Painted World?

The guys who designed Blighttown and Ariamis need a fucking medal. I played today Ariamis for the first time, blind and it was a masterpiece. I mean, From charges for DLCs with worse areas.

And then, it's Anor Londo. The most overrated area in the series which leads to probably the most overrated boss fight in the series.

But seriously, DS1 >>> everything as a game. Take Blighttown for example. It's big, complex, vertical, deadly. It has a cool boss and you ring the bell. Now you have to crawl your way back to Firelink Shrine, there is no fucking warping. You go there and you realize that the bonfire is off. Sure there are so many bonfires nearby, but you have to be extra careful because should you die, you're going to Blighttown again.

From never dared to do this again. Other games, while great, are so "gamey": Go to a new area, explore and fight, open the shortcut, repeat, kill the boss, next level. The first DS is an adventure, a constant struggle against the game and yourself. It's so charming. I thought that I liked it because it's the first of this kind I played. Nope, it's just superior as an experience. The worst is DS3. Clearly DS1 is a work of love, while DS3 is a professionally made piece of obligation.

All I want from future From games is to think about removing bonfire wrap until later in the game, be more creative in shortcuts and have more complex design in levels.

Have you played Demon's Souls? It's the best for atmosphere/adventurefags, and my favorite as well.

Ash

Arcane
Blighttown is definitely one of or the best level in the series, that much is true.

Other games, while great, are so "gamey"

A video game being gamey, shock horror. It's something that should be commendable in this decade, as the industry has forgotten they're supposed to be making fucking games.

No seriously, you still have a valid point. DS1 is better off because of the strong sense of place, atmosphere and immersion it creates, without it being detrimental to the game underneath. DS2 is better off because it has the best gameplay. Both are kings of the series, the rest fall short.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Have you played Demon's Souls? It's the best for atmosphere/adventurefags, and my favorite as well.
Yeah, last Christmas. And I was very surprised from the amount of ideas that originated from this game. I loved it and I will certainly replay it on the emulator.

To the users above: I'm not saying that Anor Londo is a bad area. It's cool. All I'm saying it's overrated especially compared to the previous flawless areas.

The last piece of Soulsborne series I haven't played is coming: The DS1 DLC.

toroid

Arcane
Don't know if it's luck or if they changed the mechanics, but I found two Vagrants in the remaster already; a white one in Ash Lake and then a red one less than an hour later in Blighttown. Got a screenshot of the white one but the red one disappeared before I could catch it because I was too shocked to act quickly. These are the first Vagrants I have ever seen in DS1.. and I have over 800 hours in the game.
qcFQqHm.jpg

So, is Remaster buggy at 60 FPS or not?
Somewhat. There's a 60 fps bug in the non-remaster where gravity (fall speed) is much faster, which causes terrain to feel sticky and jagged. That bug makes certain spots in the terrain difficult to walk over. Examples include the path up to the crow's nest in Firelink and also a spot in the Great Hollow where you have to step up onto a platform from a root about halfway up the tree. In the remaster there are several places where the terrain is sticky just like in 60fps PtDE. (Yeah, that spot in the Great Hollow is glitchy even at 30fps, but it's noticeably worse at 60 fps.) The other 60 fps bugs such as broken animations, broken blood stain ghosts, turbo fall speed, and broken plunging attacks are all fixed in the remaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom