Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, I thought you meant using the service for a month and then cutting when it's time to pay. Anyway, it's much too early for that. Maybe it's something I'll look into during the first big discount or right before the first paid DLC drops.
Oh, they always charge you upfront for the first month, otherwise it would be full of people who cancel before the billing date :)

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There you go shitlords, analyze this:

m3MrxTE.png

Given the low number of owners, the sampling may be underestimating them, but I doubt there's more than 150 000 steam owners, even if we are generous.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Oh well, at least I'll have fun when 1.1 comes out with a harder PotD.

And there's still Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Disco Elysium to come out later this year

Trashos

Arcane
There you go shitlords, analyze this:

m3MrxTE.png

Given the low number of owners, the sampling may be underestimating them, but I doubt there's more than 150 000 steam owners, even if we are generous.

Here are the results of my analysis of the data:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was just going to say that my analysis results smell a little bit like a graveyard, but you beat me to it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I wonder what results their DLC/FLC schedule will bring by the end of the summer. This has to be far below their expectations. I'd speculate it's somewhere around the numbers of Siege of Dragonspear.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Lots of spiteful cunts in this thread :lol:

I for one will wait this out until things are patched, maybe even until the DLCs are out. I got time, got plenty of other games to play.

One sure thing though is that when Obsidian falls over this despite delivering an improvement over the first title, the outlook for rennaissance style rpgs will be a lot more bleak than they were before.
Atleast you guys will have plenty of sparetime then to gush over Todd Howards next crushing success when he announces that Elder Scrolls 6 sold 30 million copies in 3 days
Obsidian was never part of the CRPG Renaissance. They just noticed it and then decided to cash in on the misguided nostalgia of many RPG players for certain games from the Decline era.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Don't worry guys, Infinitron told me that this weekend, well what's left of it anyway, will truly make the game shine, out of nowhere droves of braindead Obsidian fanboys will buy the game in mass and it will jump from place 70 to 1 in just a matter of minutes and turn the tides. Trust in Infinitron and his years of wisdom in sucking Obsidians cock on a daily basis.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I figured the megathread could do without this topic interrupting all the nuanced discussions of the writing, mechanics, and homosexuality.

A week after release and Steamspy is estimating sales are in the 100-200k range. The first one had estimated sales of 200-260k after the same amount of time.

The Sunday after release is pretty much always when you'll see the most players. Deadfire's is 22,723 (reflected at https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ though not recorded at Steam Charts yet). PoE's was 41,787. Shadowrun Returns beats it with 24,242 and even ELEX barely maintains its German supremacy with 22,871. However, it's not a total flop. Obviously it's doing better than Tides of Numenera and Tyranny, but it also beats Wasteland 2's record of 18,576 and Divinity: Original Sin's record of 21,953 and both of those were pretty successful. Howeverrr they didn't significantly inflate their budgets with full voice acting right out of the gate (though both did eventually, with terrible results :)), awesomer graphics (though D:OS is no slouch in this area and Wasteland 2 certainly put in a lot of work to improve them with the director's cut), or use deliberately dumbed-down/streamlined mechanics in a foolish attempt to win over a wider audience. And of course no one is thrilled when a sequel, particularly the first Black Isle/Obsidian sequel not constrained by a slamdunk schedule or budget, doesn't outperform or even match its predecessor.

I suppose Sawyer's now been stripped of his "hitmaker" title, so he won't be getting his turn-based historical RPG. He might have seen the writing on the wall, hence the "I'm burned out and won't be directing projects for a while" and "full voice acting was the owners' idea, I had nothing to do with it" statements from a while back. I imagine Avellone is pleased that the owners are getting burned, though I'm reasonably confident that his week of forum posts probably only cost them dozens/hundreds/possibly thousands of sales, whereas the gap between what they wanted and what they got is in the hundreds of thousands. Now Obsidian's stuck doing what Bioware did after Dragon Age II and what McComb did after Tides of Numenera: say "Yeah, well the CRITICS love it."
poeii-deadfire-accolades.jpg
Surprising, I was certain the homosexual fish sex would sell an additional 10 thousand copies, minimum.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Josh should send a heartfelt thank you letter to Del Toro for popularizing fish sex as a valid fetish just in time for Deadfires release, then.

I suspect it's the other way around. One of the so-called writers on the Deadfire team was so deeply in love with The Shape of Water that they decided to try to put fish sex in their own game. Your take on it would require said writer to have had a pre-existing fetish that was confirmed by the movie, where it's way more likely that s/he is just a deeply derivative hack.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I suspect it's the other way around. One of the so-called writers on the Deadfire team was so deeply in love with The Shape of Water that they decided to try to put fish sex in their own game. Your take on it would require said writer to have had a pre-existing fetish that was confirmed by the movie, where it's way more likely that s/he is just a deeply derivative hack.
It's actually Paul Kirsch's wife.

Cucked by a fishman, how degrading.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Everybody has the potential to be cucked by a fishmonster. If your wife is sexually attracted to it, do you think you have anything to offer her in that way?

Flou

Arbiter
That's great, but studios of the size of Obsidian can't survive on slow burners alone.

Lucky for them, they have Private Division paying wages for 60-70 people and Pillars 1 still creating some income as well.
That 3rd project they have might actually have a publisher as well. They do have a 3rd project? Yes? Unless they are working on Cainarsky game with about 100 developers (staff photo had about 60).

As much as you want Feargus and Obsidian do die in a horrible fire, I don't think they are going anywhere just yet.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lucky for them, they have Private Division paying wages for 60-70 people and Pillars 1 still creating some income as well.
That 3rd project they have might actually have a publisher as well. They do have a 3rd project? Yes? Unless they are working on Cainarsky game with about 100 developers (staff photo had about 60).

As much as you want Feargus and Obsidian do die in a horrible fire, I don't think they are going anywhere just yet.
One of my previous posts in this thread:

But I don’t think they will fail to survive, to be honest. Not at this point. They adopted a business model that makes them imortal like Jason Voorhees. They always find a publisher that is stupid enough to give them all the money they need and then some. They cook the books. They can have massive layoffs when they don’t have a publisher and hire more people afterwards when needed. The owners take all the profits. They can keep doing this for an eternity. The real question is why some people are still attached to their image of Obsidian despite tons of evidence that they are dishonest and untalented hacks? Obsidian is the ship of Theseus: you can change all the good developers for hacks and their fanboys still think is the same studio doing the same thing. It is not. Your ideal of Obsidian is dead, fanboys. It was already dead for a long time and now they need to face the reality.
The real question is not whether they will survive or not, but if they earned all the attention we give to them. They are playing safe and realising uninspired buggy games for the most part of two decades now. Their best talent left and their new narrative designers are certified 100% tumblr hacks. The studio is a shell of its former self. No, it's worse. Obsidian is a shell of it's ideal self that was never realized. To paraphrase Rust, "this place is like somebody's memory of a game studio, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle."

Capture13.jpg

Flou

Arbiter
The real question is not whether they will survive or not, but if they earned all the attention we give to them. They are playing safe and realising uninspired buggy games for the most part of two decades now. Their best talent left and their new narrative designers are certified 100% tumblr hacks. The studio is a shell of its former self. No, it's worse. Obsidian is a shell of it's ideal self that was never realized. To paraphrase Rust, "this place is like somebody's memory of a game studio, and the memory is fading. It's like there was never anything here but jungle."

I think they deserve the attention. Outside of BioWare, Bethesda, Larian, Obsidian and them Polish. Who else has the capability to produce a crpg that isn't made with a shoe string budget?

Bethesda makes walking simulators where you walk around asking people whether or not they've seen your dad, a middle-aged man. BioWare went to shit before/after EA bought them. That leaves Larian, Obsidian and them Polish fuckers who spend an eternity working on one game. Obsidian is a very hit or miss with their games at least when it comes to Codex. But then again even if they make the best crpg in the whole decade those same 10 shitposters will still shitpost.

It's obvious they could be at a better place with better management. Then again, they could have been bought by someone like Bethesda and be making those same fucking walking simulators or they could have had even worse management and ended up bankrupt like many middlesized indie developers. If no one cared, then there wouldn't be as much conversation either even if Infinitron started posting what Feargus ate for lunch as news.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom