Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

almondblight

Arcane
Also, I haven't played Realmz yet, but I downloaded it and got it running. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-realmz.71817/
It is supposed to be a pretty good indie tactical RPG. I may post more when I get a chance to find where I put my list of CRPGs completed.

So, Realmz is a system for modules, like NWN, FRUA or Blades of Exile. City of Bywater is the included module, but there are a ton of others that are supposed to be better (I've heard The Sword Lands trilogy is good). The problem is that most of the modules required codes to play, so you'd need to track down both the modules and the registrations codes. The Gamefaqs site for Realmz seems to be at least somewhat active (there have been a few posts there in the past decade); it might be a decent palce to find more info.

It'd be nice if an effort was made to preserve games like this, because it seems like there is a very real possibility that a lot of them could be lost.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
- Final Fantasy Tactics... mixes up tactics, team management, and lore pretty well... not many games like it...have not tried the War of the Lions upgrade

Just adds some cutscenes(cringe anime type), still the same game from what I remember.

Only FF game I've ever liked though :p

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lots of posturing ITT. Especially when people like Lilura shit on RtWP while shilling NWN modules nonstop.

The only NWN module I have gushed over is Swordflight, but even in that review, I mentioned that it would have been better in the ToEE engine.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only NWN module I have gushed over is Swordflight, but even in that review, I mentioned that it would have been better in the ToEE engine.

I seem to remember you being pretty over the moon about The Aielund Saga, or has that been retconned?

edit: also, can I ask you a somewhat indelicate question about Chinese health care, to the extent mainland policy is also in effect in HK? It's for a good cause.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
In large part, I think it simply comes down to how old you are. There are some younger people of refined taste that are interested enough in playing notable RPGs of any era. There really aren't enough true classics to skip older ones categorically due to graphics. If you do, then you are more interested in graphics than you are good RPGs.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, it's just that the GOAT RPGs happen to be non-fantasy.

Fallout is the only one among them that can even be considered an RPG (and a proto-popamole one at that, since there is no real party system, no magic system and very simple mechanics). Deus Ex is a FPS an JA a tactics game. I mean I'd agree that they are some of the best games from the 90s and Deus Ex is a strong contender for the best game period, but calling them best RPGs is silly when they are barely in the same genre as the true classics.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I guess I will play The Magic Candle (good mix of exploration, puzzles and tatical battles) besides Disciples of Steel.

Loved the complexity of this games.

Alkarl

Learned
I guess I will play The Magic Candle (good mix of exploration, puzzles and tatical battles) besides Disciples of Steel.

Loved the complexity of this games.

Did Disciples of Steel turn you off? It can be more than a little murdery if you don't allocate your experience wisely.

Ocelot

Learned
Because some of us can't play everything and are under the age of 50. I'm trying though, I swear I am.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Did Disciples of Steel turn you off? It can be more than a little murdery if you don't allocate your experience wisely.

In fact, since the games are too complex for me (i am not that experienced player), I will only play one game. I guess it will be The Magic Candle, but I am not certain.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In fact, since the games are too complex for me (i am not that experienced player), I will only play one game. I guess it will be The Magic Candle, but I am not certain.

You need a notepad to play the Magic Candle. You will be taking notes when you interview your possible party members so you can have a good blend of skills, then you'll need to write down any good hints you get from people in the starting castle. Keep in mind that there is a day and night cycle, so some characters you meet may not appear in the locations you find them later on, so there is a solid chance you'll miss out on plenty of lore.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Disciples of Steel has a more advanced combat engine, but apart from that I'd say Magic Candle is the more complex game. Lots of info to keep track of (screenshots is a good alternative to taking notes), and lots of logistics. I think JA2 is the only CRPG I've played that has more logistics than MC.
If you haven't played Ultima IV and V you should play them before MC, I think.

Last edited:

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Disciples of Steel has a more advanced combat engine, but apart from that I'd say Magic Candle is the more complex game. Lots of info to keep track of (screenshots is a good alternative to taking notes), and lots of logistics. I think JA2 is the only CRPG I've played that has more logistics than MC.

That changes everything, then. I will reserch a little more. But now I will consider to play pools of radiance (and the entire series), dark heart of uukrul, ultima IV+V+VI (the lack of good combat is a negative point right now) and disciples of steel.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think that is a fine list. For Goldbox games I suggest FRUA (Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures), which has some UI and quality of life improvements over the original Pool of Radiance. As a fringe benefit, once you set FRUA up there are many good modules to play.

There is the thread Jaesun started. You can find module discussion, setup instructions. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ealms-unlimited-adventures-frua-thread.61909/

There is a link by Cyler Rubin to a zip file with pre-configured game and a bunch of modules: HERE

Pool of Radiance is FRUA module #39.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Games became so immature pos, I dunno... 2005/06?

Since then, I completely stopped playing any game at all. In 2016 one of my friends said that I needed to play Planescape Torment, because, since I like to read a lot, I would love it, and it wasnt the childish things we were seeing in new games. Ok, played, and loved the game. To PST I went to BG and Icewind dale. Found the codex to discuss about similiar good games and discovered golden era rpgs.

If it wasnt for the renaissance and late 80s/early 90s rpgs, I wouldnt even play any game at all. Today, I study all day to be a prosecutor or a federal judge in my country, have a functional life, and play really old games 1 or 2 hour a day.

I hate the nerd/geek world, I despise comics, I dont watch super heroes movies, etc, because they are as immature as these today's games. So, basically, you are a retard in my world, Swampy_Merkin. Fuck off, then.
You really shouldn't dismiss indie games completely. Despite what some retards in this thread claimed good games and even good CRPGs are being made today. By indie developers.
You just need to remember that "good" doesn't usually mean "better than the classics" but can mean "as good as most classics" except maybe the very best few titles. Stuff like AoD or Battle Brothers (for it's combat mechanics only, I still hope for someone doing a proper CRPG with combat as good at this) to only name 2 titles - but there are more depending on what you like - should not be dismissed. Mainstream on the other hand is 99% rubbish.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You understand that JA2 is strategy game. That's like saying HoI4 has more about tank making than a normal RPG. (aside of metal saga)

RoA 2 had food and water, and A LOT of diseases.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
In The Magic Candle every single bit of dialogue is relevant. It's really quite astonishing. Even the sequels couldn't quite keep up with it. You can save yourself a lot of hassle by maxing out Lukas's Learning and Charisma skills so you can talk to everyone yourself. It even carries over into the sequels and you'll never need a charisma mule.

The combat in Magic Candle is also almost completely deterministic. You just need the right consumables and spells to clear every room. Managing the supply of items and making sure your team is properly set up is most of the battle. I liked the mechanic where targets can't dodge if they don't have an empty adjacent square to dodge into. So if you box someone in on both sides, all attacks will connect. That's an ingenious mechanic and I've never seen it anywhere else.

I was having fun in Disciples of Steel but I ran into a bug when repairing at a shop, it would list a bunch of items I didn't have. Like "you cannot repair +1205 leather mask," (???) and then all my money disappeared. It seemed to retroactively delete my cash out of the save slot, luckily I used multiple save files. Shitty though. Its fun but I would hesitate to call such a game a classic.

The intensity of the combat is something else though. Going through the Orc outpost, there are multiple encounters with 20+ orcs EACH. But there is a morale system so once you start cleaving through a bunch of them they all start to panic, and then the game asks "Orc is cowering in terror, will you let it flee?" I love that you can say no. I'm not letting those experience points go. You stay and die, orcy boy.

Then after the battle the game goes "There are 135 items, would you like to loot?" Holy shit. It's all trash yet you can sell it all for tons of money. Every. Single. Fight.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is original X-COM an RPG?
Most certainly. One of the best ones even. Most RPGs are not great because they do the RPG part right. Most RPGs are great games in and themselves, like JA2, XCOM, Deus EX and also have RPG elements.

In the case of XCOM, it has obviously RPG elements in the form of character development of the soldiers. But what XCOM really excels at is the strategy and the tactical layer.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Any names perhaps or is it too much to ask. What modern games are so good that they make classic games suck so much. Especially in CRPG genre. Hmm?

Hmm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom