Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #45: New Website, Backer Beta Releasing In July

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Rogers; InXile Entertainment; Paul Marzagalli; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

inXile have published a new Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter update, the second one this month, to announce that the Backer Beta will be out in July. This comes several days after the launch of a fancy new official website, where the game is now available for preorder. What the update doesn't mention is that the website also features two new videos - the alpha teaser trailer that Brian Fargo showed at the THQ Nordic event earlier this month and a full playthrough of the alpha narrated by creative director David Rogers. It's nothing we haven't seen before, but it's good to have official versions of these.

As is customary these days, Bard's Tale IV has a couple of preorder-exclusive items - Kael's Axe and the Fire Horn, both famous artifacts from the original trilogy. Kickstarter backers will of course receive these for free. See the update for details.

Darkzone

Arcane
Nice. Kael's Axe and the Fire Horn are very iconic items. So in mid / end July i will see how this turns out. But from my perspective this will be the best game from InXile and the item puzzles are very neat idea, making the magic items more interesting. Also i love celtic folk music since Clannad's Legend album in 1984 (Soundtrack for Robin of Sherwood), despite it was sung in english and not in gaelic.

Darkzone

Arcane
What does this game have, that Grimoire does not?
First of all a clean UI with good usability. Second the item puzzles. Third the celtic folk music. Fourth a clean theme (like femorians as monster) based around celtic and norse mythology. Fifth it is in UE4 and it is 3D. I could go on.. but i'm just answering your question.
Everything has its place Grimoire and BTIV; and we have to see the end version of BTIV first to answer definitly your question. And after that we can also turn the question around and ask "what Grimoire has that BTIV doesn't have".

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
First of all a clean UI with good usability. Second the item puzzles. Third the celtic folk music. Fourth a clean theme (like femorians as monster) based around celtic and norse mythology. Fifth it is in UE4 and it is 3D. I could go on.. but i'm just answering your question.
Everything has its place Grimoire and BTIV; and we have to see the end version of BTIV first to answer definitly your question. And after that we can also turn the question around and ask "what Grimoire has that BTIV doesn't have".

A 20 minute indiegogo video, with Cleve breathing into the mic.
That's masterpiece in its own right.

Bohr

Arcane
I think it's a bit unfair to compare these KS games to masterpieces of the past. Let's give it a chance and judge it in its own right.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The way the user interface is presented, and also the combat information, it all feels a tad console oriented to me.
I don't know where I do stand with the item puzzles. Just that I'm wary in the regard of puzzles and crafting.
There's a fine line for puzzles becoming tedious and crafting devolving into cancer.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm also surprised that Beta is announced so early. Expected them to be in Low-Mid-Alpha or so... (especially with their slow start and updates), but Beta in ~1 month definitely astounded me :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm also surprised that Beta is announced so early. Expected them to be in Low-Mid-Alpha or so... (especially with their slow start and updates), but Beta in ~1 month definitely astounded me :salute:

Doesn't seem that early to me considering they want to release the game in Q3. 2-3 months in beta? I suppose it's possible.

Darkzone

Arcane
The way the user interface is presented, and also the combat information, it all feels a tad console oriented to me. I don't know where I do stand with the item puzzles. Just that I'm wary in the regard of puzzles and crafting. There's a fine line for puzzles becoming tedious and crafting devolving into cancer.
I don't own a console and besides the Atari 2600 i have never owned a console and therefore i don't know what you mean. But there are games that are regarded as good that were released on the console like DOS, Dark Souls or the Witcher 3 and this lets me conclude that this is not necessary a negative criteria for a game. You are right on your concerns with the puzzles. If only unique items have this puzzle then this can be very good, but if there are many items that can be found often in games have this puzzles then it can become boring.
Crafting is kind of difficult topic and in Arcanum this was one of the cornerstones of playing a tech character and it was very nice to find or buy a blueprint with a design for a weapon or item. Alone in the crafting aspect Arcanum has a replay value. But to be honest there are only a very few games where crafting was something special that brought something to the table.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I mean, 2-3 months in beta is enough time for them to tweak balance (numbers, multipliers, locations, spawns), but actual assets like a dungeon or an NPC? Nuh-uh, all of that will be locked down already.

Suicidal

Arcane
Looks pretty good honestly. My biggest concern is that it probably will end up being too easy like many western RPGs tend to be nowadays, sadly.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks good, I just hope the blue grid will be moddable.

When will the console port be announced? Before or after release?

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
I really like the music, which is a surprise since music in games has pretty much hit rock bottom.

Sentinel

Arcane
Combat looks way too slow & why is there a post combat screen with exp summary? just put that info in a fucking combat log in the UI.
& why are we limited to 5 abilities in combat? what happened to spell lists?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks pretty good honestly. My biggest concern is that it probably will end up being too easy like many western RPGs tend to be nowadays, sadly.

I hope that it's not too short. Really like what I see so far.

Zeriel

Arcane

The MMX Legacy thread was full of Codexers bitching about how it was too hard, so the marketers might actually be right on that score. People like to say they're hardcore, but seem to dislike anything that disproves that self-belief, unless it's explicitly marketed as such (i.e, Dark Souls).

I say this as someone who is in the complete opposite camp so this is not apologetics, the MM X case was just very eye-opening to me that people do not necessarily mean it when they say they want challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom