Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's hard to judge two shallow lakes as which waters are two cm higher than another lake. Maia also tried to do lesbian love with me moment we met. Sagani was just calm mom. Now that I see they're similar, I'm surprised I liked her but don't like Maia much. Maybe because she's also calm professional ass-assin.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
- independant women
- on a mission, dutiful characters
- talk about family a lot and how they miss 'em
- make silly dry humour jokes
- barely react to anything, unimpressed, unmoved

the fact they're both rangers is a bonus

Maia is a sassy fuckable giantess, a spec ops patriotic soldier, deeply intertwined into the larger faction conflict and connected to all the events that are unfolding through ut the game.

Sagani is a generic ranged dps companion who stands on a road in a middle of nowhere, waiting until the player shows up, and her quest has you searching for some shit that doesn't have relation to anything in the PoE1 story and is of no interest to the player.

Deadfire companions are all connected to major players. Serafen to pirates, Tekehu to Huana, Maia to Rautai, Pallegina to Vallians and Xoti to main villain. That makes them feel like flesh and blood characters who actually have a reason to tag along with you. PoE1 mostly felt like bunch of dudes joined you because they got bored of standing in the middle of roads.

Trashos

Arcane
RTwP was bad in its inception and it is bad now. BG2 has no resource management, whatsover. Still doesn't. I dont understand what this sells talk has anything to do with it. Skirym sells a lot. Does it mean that it plays well too?

BG2 has good combat, where there are a million ways to win but also a million ways to lose. The fact that it has no significant resource management is secondary. All the coolest nerds played it back then, lots of hardcore players play it now. The internet is full of discussions on its tactics, it doesn't have to prove anything.

I am not even an IE apologist, SoA is the only RTwP game I like a lot (PST aside, which I like despite the combat). Ohlen/Martens (who designed/tuned Bg2's combat) were at the top of their game at that point and it shows.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Maia is a sassy fuckable giantess, a spec ops patriotic soldier, deeply intertwined into the larger faction conflict and connected to all the events that are unfolding through ut the game.

Sagani is a generic ranged dps companion who stands on a road in a middle of nowhere, waiting until the player shows up, and her quest has you searching for some shit that doesn't have relation to anything in the PoE1 story and is of no interest to the player.

Deadfire companions are all connected to major players. Serafen to pirates, Tekehu to Huana, Maia to Rautai, Pallegina to Vallians and Xoti to main villain. That makes them feel like flesh and blood characters who actually have a reason to tag along with you. PoE1 mostly felt like bunch of dudes joined you because they got bored of standing in the middle of roads.
hmmm I agree with this but this is mostly a comment on the general design.
When we break it down to sagani vs maia, they're very very similar characters.

Also I wouldn't say maia is deeply intertwined in the faction conflict. What do you mean by that ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(as opposed to the absurd behaviors of many CRPG companions, such as Barrik being easily convinced to side against his beloved commander in Tyranny).
Barik will leave your employ permanently if you side with the Chorus and don't convince him to stay afterwards. With Fear 1, he will actually strike you, allowing you to use Lore 32 to take him on as an unwilling vassal of yours (striking a member of the Court is a death sentence otherwise) or Athletics 32 to get him in line.

The reactivity, truly amazing.

Sagani's quest reinforces the theme of "What if we can be assured of nothing?" I personally thought it was very emotional, but I love ordinary people, Josh Sawyer's "dry" characters.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sagani was my favorite POE1 character. Go figure.

Still waiting on the balance patch due out in early June before I restart POE2 though.

frajaq

Erudite
Who was complaining about writing?

EggNHUj.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
hmmm I agree with this but this is mostly a comment on the general design.
When we break it down to sagani vs maia, they're very very similar characters.

Also I wouldn't say maia is deeply intertwined in the faction conflict. What do you mean by that ?

I mean that in a sense that Maia is an expendable footsoldier playing a minor role in a major faction. The same goes for all the others. If an open conflict breaks out, chances are your companions will be among the first to have a meeting with Berath, so they all have a genuine, believable interest to stick around with you and try to influence your decisions.

The companions are not just there to give you their personal quests as if you would give a shit about that. They also do a great job fleshing out the factions, by giving you a peak into individual perspective of a minor grunt of each faction.

Whereas the first game companion experience is basically, you meet some dude or dudette, they have some quest you don't give a shit about, but you do it for xp anyway, and after that they stick around for no sensible reason whatsoever.

Sagani's quest reinforces the theme of "What if we can be assured of nothing?" I personally thought it was very emotional, but I love ordinary people, Josh Sawyer's "dry" characters.

I'm not saying it's a bad quest - it would be a good side quest if she was just an NPC. For companion quest it is far too disconnected and unrelatable.

Reinhardt

Arcane
For companion quest it is far too disconnected and unrelatable.
Your quest is just some retarded stuff happened with your soul. Why should ANY companion quest be connected to your quest?
Your watcher abilities convenient to them, their combat abilities convenient to you. It's ok.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
BG2 has good combat, where there are a million ways to win but also a million ways to lose.
You larp in your head that the combat is good because you know the amount of options and replay the game to try the different combinations. The truth of the matter is that is easy to beat 99% of the encounters as a one trick pony because you can take advantage of your enemies with RTwP and because there is no resource management going on. You said that the lack of resource management is secondary, but you can replenish your spell uses and health using rest. The gameplay is poorly designed, but you pretend that is not because you love the abundance of options. Since I can’t appreciate BG2 items and options because of RTwP, it sounds incoherent to me to defend RTwP because of these very items and options. You do this long enough and developers will start believing that you actually likes this RTwP stuff.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Deadfire companions are all connected to major players.

Except Aloth, who's the one companion in Deadfire I absolutely wouldn't have missed. I didn't like him that much even in PoE1.

But yes, I thought it was rather clever to have the PC's companions themselves represent the major factions in the setting.

And it's nice that they're not just random adventurers with few ties to the world around them and few reasons to follow the PC. Maia's believable as a soldier. She does what her superiors tell her to and she doesn't ask questions or disobey, even when she feels doubts. And when she left my party, it was because she didn't want to act against her country or to ruin her career. Perfectly believable motivations.

make the game focus on the war, rather than on religion and metaphysics
make the MC some merc who just happens to be in the vicinity, rather than a Hwatcher

Yes. I don't dislike the stuff about Eothas, but I think the story would have been better if it had focused simply on the growing conflict in the archipelago.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
business idea - keep the Saint's War lore, but ditch the gods being actual physical entities
make the game focus on the war, rather than on religion and metaphysics
make the MC some merc who just happens to be in the vicinity, rather than a Hwatcher

Yes. I don't dislike the stuff about Eothas, but I think the story would have been better if it had focused simply on the growing conflict in the archipelago.

Yeah all the stuff about Gods and religion and cosmology is consistently the weakest part of these games and I have no idea why they persist with this nonsense. The simplest way to fix the main quest is to put a human conflict a center of it, rather than god conflict.

Like this for example.:

1. Eothas dies in Ashes Maw from Magrana's volcano, but before perishing he tells you of Ukaizo and a last remaining Engwitian machine that can do some black magic fuckery with all the supercharged adra.

2. The finale becomes an epic battle between the factions on who gets to the machine first.

3. Once you get there you get to a choice to rebuild Eothas, inject magic juice into one of the factions to make them a Deadfire superpower, or try take the power for yourself but then it backfires and you end up an immortal ghost pirate captain pillaging the sees for eternity

Meaningful choices and a conflict player can relate to is what the finale is missing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Must say that all the Deadfire fans are pretty annoying retards on this forum. Are they any better in other forums,or are they achieving the peak of their mental skillz here? Seeing all this talk about how shit BG games are by millennial dipshits i decided to replay them yet again.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
lurker king is not a deadfire fan, far from it
he just felt the need to let us know that bg2 is popamole and he's above that kind of shit
yet again

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom