Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #27: State of the Game - First Animations

Zanzoken

Arcane
How you handle recoil has a lot more to do with technique and experience than size and strength, especially for handguns. People who have never been around guns tend to significantly over-estimate recoil anyway.

Source: MURICAn, been shooting all my life

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Looking good! Hopefully the next one of these updates will be first gameplay footage.
That's the plan (not the next update, but the next 'state of the game' update).

The recoil is way overdone, but I guess it works to convey the sense of the action in a high-camera, isometric perspective.
Pretty much. Most pistols are .45 hand-cannons, especially the multi-barrel pistols. Plus slightly over the top animations read better in isometric.

multi_barrel_pistol.png

I'd like to see 75 and even 110 cal guns. Size is just arbitrary and for short real life distances large ammo is better damaging, like in the muskets of old days that were 70-90 cal. Thanks.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
How you handle recoil has a lot more to do with technique and experience than size and strength, especially for handguns. People who have never been around guns tend to significantly over-estimate recoil anyway.

Source: MURICAn, been shooting all my life

Not really, it is mostly to do with the gun design/balance. You can make a powerful gun that is ok on recoil like m1911 .45 cal but some guns are very hard to control ie snub nosed magnums. Some guns are just too big and/or powerful for many people's hands, too, which is why 45 is not the standard in the military any more.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Are those critical miss gifs :lol: can't wait to see from the ingame viewpoint :bounce:

Vault Dweller
Will you go realistic route and give women penalties to handling bigger guns (unless they're obese)? Also, do you have animations of women in action? They can be also bald.
"Women are directly fitted for acting as the nurses and teachers of our early childhood by the fact that they are themselves childish, frivolous and short-sighted." He opined that women are deficient in artistic faculties and sense of justice, and expressed opposition to monogamy.

"I have not yet spoken my last word about women. I believe that if a woman succeeds in withdrawing from the mass, or rather raising herself above the mass, she grows ceaselessly and more than a man."

:happytrollboy:
schopenhauerarthur.jpg
:happytrollboy:

but yea men and women SHOULD have different base stats a la Arcanum. why not? more stats more better

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
1420739900_gun_recoil_to_the_face.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
HeavyNecessaryCutworm-max-1mb.gif
Gun-Fail.gif

What I find lacking in the animations presented is the slowness the gun moves after is fired and the lack of rotational movement in the vertical plane for high caliber handguns.

And about the subject of what looks good in an isometric game, I thoughts only giant ass pauldrons look good as Diablo 3 devs thought me!

Fallout 2 (1) had excellent gun shooting animations without exaggerated movement/effects. Flair was achieved also via stance and lighting effects when weapons were fired.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
but yea men and women SHOULD have different base stats a la Arcanum. why not? more stats more better
Not always and Arcanum was known for a bloated character system. In general, while the concept is interesting in theory, the difference should be deeper than +1 to some stat (that's just pointless). Ideally, any meaningful change should affect gameplay and that's where it becomes quite a project (one we simply don't have time for).

Fallout 2 (1) had excellent gun shooting animations without exaggerated movement/effects. Flair was achieved also via stance and lighting effects when weapons were fired.
Can you post a couple? For some reason I see only the sprites but not the animations.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Can you post a couple? For some reason I see only the sprites but not the animations.

I've spent near an hour trying to find some gifs with the gun shooting animations with no success.
It must be there somewhere on the internet but too obscure to come up on a simple search.

Maybe someone around here can upload the animations with the all weapon classes in Fallout 1 and 2.

I remember that the 10 mm SMG animation was my favorite
ehvoyGr.jpg

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys, this is a space gun! Obviously the rules are different in space...

Seriously, though, does anyone know how you'd design a gun to be less of a suicide weapon on a spaceship? Would larger, lower velocity rounds be safer in terms of not blowing holes into vacuum when you miss?

Grotesque how do I record video from the game?

Goral you sexist incel have you ever actually escaped your basement for a minute or two there are women carrying 10kg bags of potatoes in each hand all around the country

I know an 88 year old Polish grandmother who still makes pyzy once a week, which apparently requires her to squeeze all of the moisture out of a sack full of potatoes. She has forearms like a longshoreman and will likely outlive me. Pyzy is delicious. I hope they have potatoes in space. Otherwise, what's the point?

Quantomas

Savant

Seriously, though, does anyone know how you'd design a gun to be less of a suicide weapon on a spaceship? Would larger, lower velocity rounds be safer in terms of not blowing holes into vacuum when you miss?
It very much depends on the properties of the walls and supporting structures, how hardened these are, whether they have amorphous shells to slow the impact of projectiles, etc.

In general having projectiles will less kinetic energy is more safe, but you can design bullets that break up on impact and inflict damage in a different way, like shotguns.

Zeriel

Arcane

That seems like a non issue for a heavy freighter like what the ship in the game's setting is supposed to be (from vague recollection). The outer hull would probably already be thick as fuck to shield against stuff coming from outside. It only seems like such a problem for us because we're still at the (early) stage of spaceflight where the weight of a spacecraft is a major concern due to the price of lifting stuff into orbit being so expensive. If that price goes down or you have outer space drydocks I'd imagine ships would get really bulky, especially cargo ones.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hilarious pictures. :)

Regarding Fallout, I remember this passage from Lilura's retrospective:

In addition, Fallout's aesthetics were ground-breaking; post-apocalyptic theme aside, think of the amount of pre-rendered frames employed in the "talking heads" and death animations (literally, thousands). Sprite-wise, not only were they much more detailed, but Fallout employed many more anim cycles and many more frames per cycle than the subsequent Infinity Engine games. The sprites get blown up, vaporized, melted, dismembered and cut in half. In addition, your character actually crouches to pick things up and can even be seen climbing ladders! Only Jagged Alliance 2 did more in this respect.
So true.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
giphy.gif

I've extracted some animation from the game but that's what you get when you don't have photoshop! :)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Second, it's an RPG meaning it's stat, not gender-driven.
So why choose gender then if the result will be the same? In AoD gender also made no difference so why "waste resources" on it at all? You've just said it's stat-driven so gender should reflect that.
I don't want to force the players to put points in STR just to be able to use certain guns without penalties
Why not? That's how it was done in Fallout for example.
If a 14 year old kid can handle AR-15 and a shotgun and do well in a competition against more experienced men...
I'm more interested in this part:
This, in an overwhelmingly male-dominated sport where roughly 1 in 10 competitors are women, and 1 in 20 are minors.
Gee, I wonder why? One exceptional girl is just that - an exception. Also, I'm pretty sure that she's using recoil pads or the guns she's handling have reduced recoil thanks to various tricks (e.g. a rubber pad which I think is visible in the picture above - edit: to be more precise in this case recoil is not reduced, effect of the recoil on human body is - I'm writing this because Codex is full of autists). In TNW where most guns will be made in a shed using substandard materials recoil (or mass, the bigger the mass of the gun the less recoil during shooting but a heavier gun means you need more strength to use it properly) would be even bigger problem.

Last edited:

hivemind

So why choose gender then if the result will be the same? In AoD gender also made no difference so why "waste resources" on it at all? You've just said it's stat-driven so gender should reflect that.
Do you reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly think that this is an important hill for ITS to fight on? Like really really?

Quantomas

Savant
That seems like a non issue for a heavy freighter like what the ship in the game's setting is supposed to be (from vague recollection). The outer hull would probably already be thick as fuck to shield against stuff coming from outside. It only seems like such a problem for us because we're still at the (early) stage of spaceflight where the weight of a spacecraft is a major concern due to the price of lifting stuff into orbit being so expensive. If that price goes down or you have outer space drydocks I'd imagine ships would get really bulky, especially cargo ones.
Negative.

Weight is critical. A ship twice the mass needs double the amount of fuel for the same acceleration. This directly affects max velocity and means the heavier ship needs double the fuel, or twice the time, to get to its destination.

The amount of fuel (rocket fuel, nuclear, fusion) a ship carries limits max velocity because ideally you want to accelerate until you reach the halfway point and then begin to decelerate as you near your destination. If the engines are not the limiting factor, the weight determines how long you will need. 600 years instead of 300 for a ship half the weight is quite the penalty.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's a cosmetic option that falls under customization, same as hair styles, limited as they were. If you're asking why waste resources on customization, it's like asking why waste resources on more detailed visuals or more animations. The answer is to increase sales without compromising design.

Why not? That's how it was done in Fallout for example.
Didn't lie it. Call it a personal preference.

Gee, I wonder why?
Do you also wonder why gaming is a predominantly male-dominated form of entertainment?

One exceptional girl is just that - an exception.
An exception of what exactly? Either recoil affects all 'small-frame' women or it doesn't. She is not some hardened merc but a 14 year old kid. Anyway, when we consider any feature, no matter how small, the question we ask is not how it can advance an agenda or what truths it shall speak but what it adds to gameplay. In this particular case, not much. I regret that you disagree, I really do, but as I said earlier:

"In general, while the concept (of differentiating the genders) is interesting in theory, the difference should be deeper than +1 to some stat (that's just pointless). Ideally, any meaningful change should affect gameplay and that's where it becomes quite a project (one we simply don't have time for)."

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
grown man almost hits himself in the head the recoil is so strong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom