Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 3 isn’t as bad as you think...

Frozen

Arcane
Fallout 3 is a TES/Gamebryo shit of a game for hike loving retards.
Suck Tod's dick some more OP

Zer0wing

Cipher
He's absolutely right, Fallout 3 is better than anyone 'round here. where's my slick tag?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fallout > Fallout 2 > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout Tactics > Fallout 3 > Fallout Brotherhood of Steel > Fallout 4

How in the Wasteland is Brotherhood of Steel worse than Fallout 3?

I thought when I clicked on the thread it's say: It's worse.

New Vegas has done something that not even the original Fallouts managed for me, it made me “get” the setting and love it immensely

The original Fallout had some whacky humor and situations, but it could also be very grim and dark in its apocalyptic setting, while Fallout 2 sort of took things too far with the tongue in cheek and cultural references but sort of lost a bit of the tone of what Fallout is

And that made me realize something
Fallout 3 is not as bad as I thought it was; for all of ita inane dialogues, bad writing, stupid quests, lifeless characters and retarded plot it sort of fits on this idea I had; Todd and Bethesda looked at Fallout and instead of embracing the concept of an apocalypse where the world is turned upside down and humanity shows its worst survival instincts sort of got it wrong and focused on the tongue in cheek aspects of the setting
Of course people in Bethesda’s Fallout Universe would live right next to a dud nuclear bomb, have a secret society for rescuing androids, a goth wannabe vampire gang, Peter Pan, super mutants would turn into mindless orcs, child ghouls could remain inside a fridge for 200 years, a crazy scientist would get his kicks over cross dressing as a little girl and torturing his fellow vault companions.... they played it for laughs

Yes

Todd and company decided that Fallout was more about exploding headshots, robot man vs antlady superheroes fighting in the middle of the street...

It is like a few months ago I went to the movies with a girl I was dating to see Bladerunner 2049 and while I was transfixed by the cinematography, setting and characters she thought it was really bad, complicated and basically didn’t understand any of it so she called it “the computer threesome movie”... I mean that is exactly what she took from it; for all of its themes of what it means to BE human for her it was just a kinky weird movie

I look at New Vegas (which can have some less than stellar dialogues and quests) as the capo labore of Obsidian; they finally had the chance to do Fallout right and frankly they ran away with it. They played up to the standards of the older games and took a serious approach as an homage to those first 2 games and it shows, to be it is not only the best Obsidian game of all time but the best Fallout game period

So where does this leave Fallout 3?
It is stupid, inane and simplistic because it was meant to be like that, nobody in Bethesda tried to do a “bad” Fallout game, they did what they though was Fallout
Their Fallout universe is whacky, ultra violent and tongue in cheek and New Vegas is completely different, mostly played straight with a few very well placed Dark humor themes
The fact both games run in the same engine and technically had the same base system goes to show the vastly different ideology behind both games

We here at the Codex we turn our noses at Fallout 3 but that whacky humor did vibe with a lot of people because of the same way some people find Adam Sandle funny while others are Dave Chapelle fans, one is aimed at low brow tits and farts jokes while the other parodies modern trends and issues through comedy... it is not that one is bad and the other is good, it is simply that they have different audiences
Right now I am enjoying New Vegas tremendously, savoring each second of the experience in ways the older Fallouts didn’t quite managed to hook me and though this experience I can look a bit more forgiving on Fallout 3 because I finally understand where is it coming from

Bethesda didn't even try making a Fallout game, they just made a post-apocalypstic sequel to Oblivion with guns and really wonky shooting. So little was Bethesda trying to make a Fallout game I'm still confused as to why they spent $5.75 million to get it. What they did was basically spend all that money to get an aesthetic they abandon, some designs they'd change, and I guess the right to call the stat system SPECIAL; which while a nice clever little acronym isn't worth $5.75 million. Funny thing is if they wanted the type of thing Fallout was visually so bad they could have just taken it for free; Fallout didn't come up with Robby the Robot style robots, or that '30s/'40s World of Tomorrow idea of the future, or Bob's Big Boy looking logos, or the Mad Max stuff, or pulpy sci-fi jumpsuits, or power armor, or the Vaults. They could have just done what Irrational Games did, taken what they liked for nothing, and never have to deal with anyone ever complain about how they ruined a series.

Did the humor of Fallout 3 vibe with anyone? I don't think I've ever seen people talk about how much they love the humor of Fallout 3. I mean, I'm sure there's probably some people somewhere that love that about it, I've just never seen it, and I've never seen to to such a degree that'd make me believe that's the thing that got people into Fallout 3. People seems to like Fallout 3, and everything Bethesda's done since Oblivion because they're openworld game that let you pick everything up, and you can (kind of, but not really) do whatever you want. The only humor from Bethesda games I've seen people enjoy or talk about is the unintentional humor that comes with bugs, bad lines, and posing dead bodies.

If all Todd took away from the original games was exploding heads he sure did a shit job translating the cool kill animations of the original game into 3D. Now they look like those Crash Dummy toys popping apart, and it just falls into being unintentionally funny.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You mentioned Fallout being world turned upside down with humanity showing it's worst survival instinct. NV is like that, most obviously with the Legion, but FO1 wasnt. All the settlements were actually pretty nice, Junktown had Gizmo (who is even not that bad) but also had Killian, caravans went even to Necropolis and BoS who contrary to rumors turned to be the ultimate bros... The worst were the gangs who are just a few and not even all but just the Khans.
How about the Regulators, who kill Zimmerman's son in order to lay the blame on the Blades, and who then shoot Zimmerman in the head after he discovers the truth? How about the fail state ending where you are dunked into the vats and your whole vault is raided? How about Necropolis being wiped out by super mutants if you get there too late. Or Harold's story about his whole adventuring group being wiped out in Mariposa, with him ending up as a rotting corpse. Or The Glow. There are others as well. I don't consider either NV or Fallout 1 to be "grimdark" but neither was Fallout 1 all fun and roses and goofy bullshit. Neither of them are grimdark but they have a serious undertone at almost all times which is what separates them from 3 or 4.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fallout 3 & 4 are the ones that's embarrassingly grimdark, with lots of unconvincing dark elements that took themselves too seriously and tryhard attempts at black comedy, Fallout 1 & NV was simply being serious most of the time and with a sensible amount of darkness.

Master

Arbiter
You mentioned Fallout being world turned upside down with humanity showing it's worst survival instinct. NV is like that, most obviously with the Legion, but FO1 wasnt. All the settlements were actually pretty nice, Junktown had Gizmo (who is even not that bad) but also had Killian, caravans went even to Necropolis and BoS who contrary to rumors turned to be the ultimate bros... The worst were the gangs who are just a few and not even all but just the Khans.
How about the Regulators, who kill Zimmerman's son in order to lay the blame on the Blades, and who then shoot Zimmerman in the head after he discovers the truth? How about the fail state ending where you are dunked into the vats and your whole vault is raided? How about Necropolis being wiped out by super mutants if you get there too late. Or Harold's story about his whole adventuring group being wiped out in Mariposa, with him ending up as a rotting corpse. Or The Glow. There are others as well. I don't consider either NV or Fallout 1 to be "grimdark" but neither was Fallout 1 all fun and roses and goofy bullshit. Neither of them are grimdark but they have a serious undertone at almost all times which is what separates them from 3 or 4.
Thats all pretty far from people being nailed on crosses and burned alive. For example a message left in one of the camps hit by the Legion says something like "btw, we have taken the women alive". Was that shit necessary? By grimdark i mean stuff like that, tryhard grimdark.

U-8D8

Savant
Thats all pretty far from people being nailed on crosses and burned alive. For example a message left in one of the camps hit by the Legion says something like "btw, we have taken the women alive". Was that shit necessary? By grimdark i mean stuff like that, tryhard grimdark.

It's not a coincidence that all the cases you mentioned are done by the Legion; a faction with roots in a far more barbaric and vicious time than Fallout's setting, where crucifixions and the like were commonplace. What you'd call tryhard is what the Roman Legions would probably call business as usual. That's not mentioning that their forces are largely made up of tribes that were most likely that violent to begin. Also, that message? The last line's thrown in to stifle any hope that at least some of the troopers got away. If it was as grimdark as you say, you better believe they'd have left more than an implication of what they were going to do to them.

I don't know man, seems more like you have more of a problem with the subject matter itself than how they present it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
9781.jpg

now i have aids

Master

Arbiter
It's not a coincidence that all the cases you mentioned are done by the Legion; a faction with roots in a far more barbaric and vicious time than Fallout's setting, where crucifixions and the like were commonplace. What you'd call tryhard is what the Roman Legions would probably call business as usual. That's not mentioning that their forces are largely made up of tribes that were most likely that violent to begin. Also, that message? The last line's thrown in to stifle any hope that at least some of the troopers got away. If it was as grimdark as you say, you better believe they'd have left more than an implication of what they were going to do to them.

I don't know man, seems more like you have more of a problem with the subject matter itself than how they present it.
Not sure what you mean by that. It is what it is in the game: pretty tryhard grimdark. By this I mean when something edgy is shoehorned where it doesn't fit, it becomes obvious what the author is trying to do. It destroys believability of the setting. What, Dragon Age can get called out for this but NV can't? The problem is, here it doesn't fit the tone of the first game just like some things from F2 don't.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
By this I mean when something edgy is shoehorned where it doesn't fit

What makes you think the Legion's practices (aside from humping each other and dressing like retards) do not fit into the setting?

The problem is, here it doesn't fit the tone of the first game just like some things from F2 don't.

If anything, what doesn't fit the tone of the first game is the fact of having huge factions... which makes it possible to have practices such as this executed in a grand scale. Are we going to ignore that the Khans kidnapped people to rape them, and raiders were constantly assaulting caravans? The Legion seems like a completely logical answer to that, and it perfectly fits into the tone of the series because of it. Especially because it is justified: the only thing that isn't is the awkward attires.

One needs only to look at Fallout to realize the game had two different tones in it: one, fairly grimdark and "realistic" (the first part of the main quest, retrieving the water chip while encountering all kinds of vicious and kind human beings); the other, completely grounded on sci-fi superhero fantasy (the lone wolf destroying an army of SUPER MUTANTS and their TELEPHATIC LEADER). If Fallout consisted of only the first part of the main quest, and Fallout 2 consisted of the second, people would (rightfully) claim Fallout 2 completely shifted the tone of the series from "grounded" to "blatantly unrealistic and unbelievable".

Master

Arbiter
What makes you think the Legion's practices (aside from humping each other and dressing like retards) do not fit into the setting?
The way it's presented straight up. It has to have a certain goofy edge to it, like FO1.

If anything, what doesn't fit the tone of the first game is the fact of having huge factions... which makes it possible to have practices such as this executed in a grand scale. Are we going to ignore that the Khans kidnapped people to rape them, and raiders were constantly assaulting caravans? The Legion seems like a completely logical answer to that, and it perfectly fits into the tone of the series because of it. Especially because it is justified: the only thing that isn't is the awkward attires.

One needs only to look at Fallout to realize the game had two different tones in it: one, fairly grimdark and "realistic" (the first part of the main quest, retrieving the water chip while encountering all kinds of vicious and kind human beings); the other, completely grounded on sci-fi superhero fantasy (the lone wolf destroying an army of SUPER MUTANTS and their TELEPHATIC LEADER). If Fallout consisted of only the first part of the main quest, and Fallout 2 consisted of the second, people would (rightfully) claim Fallout 2 completely shifted the tone of the series from "grounded" to "blatantly unrealistic and unbelievable".

Again, the situation in FO1 wasn't bleak in any way excluding the Master(but as you imply, it's also funny). The gangs were just a few and were not a force of any kind. The Khans, the worst of the bunch had like one building. Nothing suggests something like the Legion could have developed.

There are no two tones in FO1. The darker parts like Khans kidnapping people was mixed with them being dumbfucks and believing in ghosts. Same with Iguanna Bob and Doc Morbid, there was always something funny with the "dark" stuff. F2 went overboard with the funny, and so did NV but even worse, it did it on both sides, the space ghouls and Elvis cults were interspersed with straight played Legion and dramatic vilains. There was no subtle mixing like in FO1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom