Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

KateMicucci

Arcane
Fuggin nerds

I hate them so much

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Games became so immature pos, I dunno... 2005/06?

Since then, I completely stopped playing any game at all. In 2016 one of my friends said that I needed to play Planescape Torment, because, since I like to read a lot, I would love it, and it wasnt the childish things we were seeing in new games. Ok, played, and loved the game. To PST I went to BG and Icewind dale. Found the codex to discuss about similiar good games and discovered golden era rpgs.

If it wasnt for the renaissance and late 80s/early 90s rpgs, I wouldnt even play any game at all. Today, I study all day to be a prosecutor or a federal judge in my country, have a functional life, and play really old games 1 or 2 hour a day.

I hate the nerd/geek world, I despise comics, I dont watch super heroes movies, etc, because they are as immature as these today's games. So, basically, you are a retard in my world, Swampy_Merkin. Fuck off, then.

Your trying so hard not to be disassociated with nerds, its almost like you have something to hide.

This is why I max out perception for my forum build.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
wonka-nerds-candy-book-131699-im.jpg

I liked the green ones best.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only having consloles is no excuse for not playing many of the so-called classics. Many of the Ultimas, Wizardries, Might & Magics and a few of the Gold Box games were available on the NES or SNES or Sega Genesis.

My first, incomprehensible, experience with RPGs was playing a blobber ported to Nintendo without the manual when I was barely literate. Good times.

Just take it as a compliment: highly detail oriented but does not play well with others.

Black Angel

Arcane
You completely missed what I was saying. Baldur's Gate wasn't designed with 16:9 monitors in mind. That's why, if you want to play the game windowed (like any reasonable person would), the cursor flies past the window's edges and scrolling means you have to bring the cursor all the way to the edge of your monitor. Go ahead and prove me wrong: install vanilla Baldur's Gate, choose fullscreen, and tell me BioWare expected everyone to play the game stretched as fuck.

"Mods fix it!" isn't an excuse, especially because I don't like using high resolution mods for games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout.
Why should I play an old game windowed? Because it can't alt-tab properly, or? Well, not exactly a problem for me playing Fallout with hi-res patch, although sadly it is a problem with PS:T and BG despite of the hi-res mods.

Also, you are underestimating the might of the high resolution mods for games like BG and Fallout. These games might not been designed with 16:9 monitors, but with the hi-res mods and extra patience, you can scale the game looks properly even to 16:9 monitors without it being stretched as fuck, while STILL maintaining how it supposed to look as intended by the devs. Hell, I even bookmarked agris config for Fallout 2's resolution in case of me forgetting the steps http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ut-game-by-czechs.109858/page-11#post-4650361. Although, sadly, I can't remember from where I get my config for BG and PS:T, and this is what they looked like in my 16:9 monitor
vjrkk.jpg

6h3ome.jpg
Looks just as smooth as a baby's butt.

Also, I will say "Mods will fix it!" is a valid excuse for 20 year-old games, and it's entirely on you for trying to brute force an outdated game onto a modern rig. Besides, weren't you liking PS:TEE and its zooming feature? So, shouldn't you be getting BGEE instead?

Last edited:

Since then, I completely stopped playing any game at all. In 2016 one of my friends said that I needed to play Planescape Torment, because, since I like to read a lot, I would love it, and it wasnt the childish things we were seeing in new games. Ok, played, and loved the game. To PST I went to BG and Icewind dale. Found the codex to discuss about similiar good games and discovered golden era rpgs.

If it wasnt for the renaissance and late 80s/early 90s rpgs, I wouldnt even play any game at all. Today, I study all day to be a prosecutor or a federal judge in my country, have a functional life, and play really old games 1 or 2 hour a day.

I hate the nerd/geek world, I despise comics, I dont watch super heroes movies, etc, because they are as immature as these today's games. So, basically, you are a retard in my world, Swampy_Merkin. Fuck off, then.

You really are a serious mature adult, no doubt about that. No comics or anything. Nice adulting man!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Some PS2 Jrpg nonsense.....the only thing good in that mess was FFXII and it's Gambit system....truly brilliant.

Awesome PS2 games were:
FF X
FF XII
Kagero
God Hand
Mana Khemia
Persona 3,4
Disgaea I, II.
Metal Saga (though it had kinda bad graphics, but it's only game where you can put powered armor and few missiles on your dog.)
Chrono Cross. (as long as you played Chrono Trigger first)

It's not only one game from PS2 era. Of course sensible people played it for free on emulation.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fuck off, using that metric Skyrim is literally the best game ever made with the sales and lasting power to prove it ten times over.
Bitch, I replied with your own line.

See this thread:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/sigourn.21476/&page=2#profile-post-21079

Videogames are meant to be fun, though. But claiming that Akalabeth is fun won't make it fun for everyone. If you think Akalabeth is objectively a good game because you find it fun (and thus everyone who doesn't must be a retard), I have news for you: there's this open world RPG by Bethesda with millions of people ready to call you a retard. And given how much one game sold and the other didn't, I'm inclined to say they are in the right. Likewise, I don't think SMT is a fun game in the long run. It starts off good, but the random encounters eventually wore me out. Being able to put up with them doesn't make you strong or smart, only more patient.

I'd rather brag about using my patience for something else than enjoying videogames. Oh, and I'm still waiting for that proof of me saying I like the Persona series or

zwanzig_zwoelf said:
gay dating sims

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Lots of posturing ITT. Especially when people like Lilura shit on RtWP while shilling NWN modules nonstop.

Covenant

Savant
Lots of posturing ITT. Especially when people like Lilura shit on RtWP while shilling NWN modules nonstop.

The more time I spend here the more I'm convinced that if the Codex were ever turned into a movie it'd be a black and white French art film, four hours long, and the whole thing is just a bunch of guys standing around publicly masturbating and asking each other 'But what is an RPG?'.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck

So what do you come here for man?

In my perfect world woman would never be allowed to leave their birthing harnesses and would have no part in society except constantly shitting out children who they are not allowed to even speak to.

But I don't sign up on some feminist site and tell them how much I dislike their yapping or try to police their joke of a forum. No I stay positive and only posts on sites with subjects I care about like games and so on.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

So what do you come here for man?

In my perfect world woman would never be allowed to leave their birthing harnesses and would have no part in society except constantly shitting out children who they are not allowed to even speak to.

But I don't sign up on some feminist site and tell them how much I dislike their yapping or try to police their joke of a forum. No I stay positive and only posts on sites with subjects I care about like games and so on.

You are right. I despise the edgy/prejudiced orientation of the majority in this forum, and games affects my productivity too. Next step to maturity is self-eject, indeed.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will play Disciples of Steel, I guess. Tks.

And another thing: I want to play another game with taticool battles + exploration world (it's necessary that I visit a lot of towns) + and top down graphics (like the magic candle, ultima VII, this natuk game, disciple of steel, and snes Jrpgs, like breath of fire 1, FF's, etc). Please, give me some suggestions. You or anyone eles.

Deuce Traveler too, please.

Odd... somehow I missed this mention, and only noticed this when I was slumming for threads with titles that interest me. So bear with me, but I prefer party/squad CRPGs that are turn-based, and have a 2D overhead or isometric tactical view, like moving tabletop miniatures around but on a computer screen. Mostly it's because I grew up with a love of classic Battletech and BECMI D&D first, with CRPGs a close second. Just so you know where I am coming from. Also, listen to octavius on his choices as he has some good tastes and have played some more of the obscure games he is suggesting. I've heard great things about Disciples of Steel and Aethra Chronicles, but have only played a little bit of Aethra Chronicles myself before I realized I was probably going to need to download the manual before I got too far in. I've liked what I have seen from folk's posts on those two games, however.

Anyway, my suggestions for you off the top of my head, and out of games I actually played through:
- Final Fantasy Tactics... mixes up tactics, team management, and lore pretty well... not many games like it...have not tried the War of the Lions upgrade
- Dark Heart of Uukrul... you'll be allowed in Crooked Bee's treehouse
- All of the D&D Gold Box games, including Dyer's fan-made mods based upon the classic modules, like so: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ted-adventures-module-b4-the-lost-city.82545/
- Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception (really only the beginning of the game... it drags sometime after you leave training, but not many good turn-based overhead battletech games using classic rules out there...maybe Crescent Hawks Revenge, but that sequel kicked my ass way back when... I should give it a second go for giggles)
- Spiderweb Software's Exile trilogy... freeware now, and all you need is to run Windows 3.1 in DOS1Box and run the executables.... starts right up... so much exploration to be had...I'm going through Avernum 4-6 right now as the story's continuation. Literally hundreds of hours of gaming that fits your requirements.
- Nethergate... brutal difficulty, but worthwhile. Lots to discover
- Wizard's Crown... not much meat in it, but some great character creation and combat... precursor to Gold Box games, but with only one major city
- Betrayal at Krondor... open ended exploration
- Jagged Alliance 2

Honorable Mentions:
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms X: Great sandbox game that meets a lot of your requirements.... buuuut... fighting is with armies, not parties
- X-Com: UFO Defense
- Legend of Cao Cao: Limited C&C and exploration

I've played a few hours of, and can recommend:
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- The Magic Candle... I loved Ultima IV and Ultima V, but never heard of this game until much later. It has solid lore that almost equals the Ultimas, but with better combat. I loved the feel of this game, but I was an idiot and played for a few hours without saving, then ended up getting TPKed... like a damn rookie...

Also, I haven't played Realmz yet, but I downloaded it and got it running. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-realmz.71817/
It is supposed to be a pretty good indie tactical RPG. I may post more when I get a chance to find where I put my list of CRPGs completed.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Today, I study all day to be a prosecutor or a federal judge in my countrySwampy_Merkin. Fuck off, then.

Does brazil even have a court system? I seem to remember a story last year about police going on strike for a week in a city and like a thousand people getting killed.

I also seem to remember brazilians beheading a football referee a few years ago haha.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Odd... somehow I missed this mention, and only noticed this when I was slumming for threads with titles that interest me. So bear with me, but I prefer party/squad CRPGs that are turn-based, and have a 2D overhead or isometric tactical view, like moving tabletop miniatures around but on a computer screen. Mostly it's because I grew up with a love of classic Battletech and BECMI D&D first, with CRPGs a close second. Just so you know where I am coming from. Also, listen to octavius on his choices as he has some good tastes and have played some more of the obscure games he is suggesting. I've heard great things about Disciples of Steel and Aethra Chronicles, but have only played a little bit of Aethra Chronicles myself before I realized I was probably going to need to download the manual before I got too far in. I've liked what I have seen from folk's posts on those two games, however.

Anyway, my suggestions for you off the top of my head, and out of games I actually played through:
- Final Fantasy Tactics... mixes up tactics, team management, and lore pretty well... not many games like it...have not tried the War of the Lions upgrade
- Dark Heart of Uukrul... you'll be allowed in Crooked Bee's treehouse
- All of the D&D Gold Box games, including Dyer's fan-made mods based upon the classic modules, like so: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ted-adventures-module-b4-the-lost-city.82545/
- Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception (really only the beginning of the game... it drags sometime after you leave training, but not many good turn-based overhead battletech games using classic rules out there...maybe Crescent Hawks Revenge, but that sequel kicked my ass way back when... I should give it a second go for giggles)
- Spiderweb Software's Exile trilogy... freeware now, and all you need is to run Windows 3.1 in DOS1Box and run the executables.... starts right up... so much exploration to be had...I'm going through Avernum 4-6 right now as the story's continuation. Literally hundreds of hours of gaming that fits your requirements.
- Nethergate... brutal difficulty, but worthwhile. Lots to discover
- Wizard's Crown... not much meat in it, but some great character creation and combat... precursor to Gold Box games, but with only one major city
- Betrayal at Krondor... open ended exploration
- Jagged Alliance 2

Honorable Mentions:
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms X: Great sandbox game that meets a lot of your requirements.... buuuut... fighting is with armies, not parties
- X-Com: UFO Defense
- Legend of Cao Cao: Limited C&C and exploration

I've played a few hours of, and can recommend:
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- The Magic Candle... I loved Ultima IV and Ultima V, but never heard of this game until much later. It has solid lore that almost equals the Ultimas, but with better combat. I loved the feel of this game, but I was an idiot and played for a few hours without saving, then ended up getting TPKed... like a damn rookie...

Also, I haven't played Realmz yet, but I downloaded it and got it running. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-realmz.71817/
It is supposed to be a pretty good indie tactical RPG. I may post more when I get a chance to find where I put my list of CRPGs completed.

Tks so much for this answer. I really mean it.

Later I will post what game I will play besides Disciples of Steel.

I am currently playing Darklands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom