Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What they did with afflictions and inspirations is miles better than how it worked in poe1. It takes a split second to keep track of hobbled and quick etc, by hovering the mouse over the word and checking the ranking of the buff/debuff in a second.
It's not obvious and I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't even see that their little icon represents both the stat associated and the rank.
It's just a matter of remembering that INT is domination, RES is fear, DEX is petrification, STR is stun, PER is blind and CON is fucking useless (weak or whatever).
Sure it's not intuitive, but mechanically speaking, it's way better than piling up debuffs who all do -10 to -20 accuracy like how it worked in poe1.

The only affliction which should be revised is the INT one, because unless a caster is dominated, there's no fucking reason to try and turn it into a charm.

Despite what's written in the cyclopedia btw, it does work as a +3 -3 system afaik. Casting the lower level priest prayer for the mind will turn dominate into charm (and be useless, you'd need the upper level prayer for INT).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Despite what's written in the cyclopedia btw, it does work as a +3 -3 system afaik. Casting the lower level priest prayer for the mind will turn dominate into charm (and be useless, you'd need the upper level prayer for INT).

lol really? Is Sawyer aware of this? He specifically said it wouldn't work this way on several occasions.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
About sidekicks, I am not sure if this was a good idea. They dont interact, so what is the difference between sidekicks and custom companions? You can still choose custom companions attributes...

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Is Sawyer aware of this?
No idea, plus my feedback is based on observation, and I've observed quite a few bugs related to afflictions overlapping etc.
For instance, casting Halt on an enemy who's already immobilized will not be taken into consideration, and even though he'll be tagged as subject to Halt, he'll move freely anyway.
I do remember casting prayer for the mind and removing Dominate to replace it with Charm, telling myself that ancient fampyrs require the better version of the prayer. Now if it's a bug though, I really don't see how it would be so consistent with what anyone would naturally expect from this system.
Thing is, I also perfectly remember removing debuffs entirely this way, and replacing them with buffs, but I could have missed the fact that my buff was degraded in the process.

Frankly if it's supposed to work as the cyclopedia says, it's one stupid fucking system. Just cast rank 3 aspirations everytime and nothing will ever happen. It's way too absurd to be the actual rule.
Or is it... :smug:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
About sidekicks, I am not sure if this was a good idea. They dont interact, so what is the difference between sidekicks and custom companions? You can still choose custom companions attributes...

The point of them was to have very little content, only banters and interjections, but it seems they made them into adventurers with custom voice sets and model. That's not all that bad, but it's even less than what BG1 had. Since they don't have ANY content at all, I don't see why they are only 4. Mirke being added so casually in a "FreeLC" tells me they are very easy to make.

Shadenuat

Arcane
As long as Svef and similar consumables are in the game, afflictions are just pure exotics and don't matter.

And yes there's something wrong with how they work, override each other, and so on. Cyclopedia lies.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, it might turn out they "downgraded" everything and that's why sidekicks are puppets, no better than hired adventurers. Even worse, though, because you can't customize their stats. I still don't understand how BG1 had 25 companions, some of them with quests, and a lot of huge maps, but PoE2 struggles with the same things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lacrymas being awfully Roguey itt. I've read that they actually do say things if you have them in your party at a few places, plus you can converse with Rekke quite a bit once he learns the language.

Trash Player

Scholar
The cyclopedia is not clear, it should work like this:
Tier 1 Inspiration gives +5 to respective stat and a potential set of additional bonus. Tier 2 the former and a set of additional bonus. Tier 3 the former bonus and then another set of additional bonus. Vice versa for Afflictions. Only the highest tier of either apply at once, the lower ones are suppressed. Resistance downgrades any Afflictions to 1 tier lower, multiple sources of resistance do not stack. Each instance of Inspiration cancels out, preemptively or retroactively, an instance of Affliction of the same stat; tier difference and duration does not matter. For example, a tier 1 Strength Inspiration can cancel a tier 3 Strength Affliction. A ingame example would be a Wizard/Berserker casting Infuse Vital Essence getting Smart, the tier 1 Intelligence Inspiration, to cancel out Confused, the tier 1 Intelligence Affliction, from Frenzy. However, Hardy, the tier 2 Constitution Inspiration, from Frenzy will suppress Fit, the tier 1 Constitution Inspiration, from Infuse Vital Essence. The net result is Hardy, nothing on the Intelligence, and Tenacious, the tier 2 Strength Inspiration, that is also from Frenzy.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The cyclopedia is not clear, it should work like this:
Tier 1 Inspiration gives +5 to respective stat and a potential set of additional bonus. Tier 2 the former and a set of additional bonus. Tier 3 the former bonus and then another set of additional bonus. Vice versa for Afflictions. Only the highest tier of either apply at once, the lower ones are suppressed. Resistance downgrades any Afflictions to 1 tier lower, multiple sources of resistance do not stack. Each instance of Inspiration cancels out, preemptively or retroactively, an instance of Affliction of the same stat; tier difference and duration does not matter. For example, a tier 1 Strength Inspiration can cancel a tier 3 Strength Affliction. A ingame example would be a Wizard/Berserker casting Infuse Vital Essence getting Smart, the tier 1 Intelligence Inspiration, to cancel out Confused, the tier 2 Intelligence Affliction, from Frenzy. However, Hardy, the tier 2 Constitution Inspiration, from Frenzy will suppress Fit, the tier 1 Constitution Inspiration, from Infuse Vital Essence. The net result is Hardy, nothing on the Intelligence, and Tenacious, the tier 2 Strength Inspiration, that is also from Frenzy.

So is this Prayer that MajorMace mentioned an Inspiration or a Resistance?

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is what Fig says about them -

Before joining your ranks, Sidekicks start out as unique NPCs integral to specific quests, complete with their own personalities and looks, and they may offer to join your party as a reward for completing their quest. Just like companions, these new characters have a custom portrait and voice sound-set. However, unlike companions, they do not have their own vision quest and will not participate in the relationship system outlined in our last stretch goal. We know you love more choice and flexibility when creating your parties, and Sidekicks are a way for us to give you that choice by providing a larger roster of characters to choose.

It just says they won't have vision quests and won't participate in the relationship system, it doesn't say they are going to be mute forever.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
considering the framerate in neketaka, I have no difficulty imagining why poe doesn't have big maps

Infinitron the prayer is an inspiration (smart), there's a better version which gives a higher rank int inspiration (don't remember the name)
it doesn't say they are going to be mute forever.
they aren't actually
sidekicks are alright considering what was promised. Problem is actual companions imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Aren't the framerates dependent on the amount of models on the map, rather than the map itself?

Lacrymas

Arcane
To have a sense of bigness, like BG1. It also makes the hiding of secrets more elaborate and you can be rewarded with interesting visual vistas if you explore. Besides, the dungeons are too small from what I've read and that's also a problem.

Trashos

Arcane
I am not sure if I am being too nice or too harsh, but I don't think that the talent at Obsidian is comparable to the talent Bioware had back then. As a whole.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sidekicks are at varying states. Rekke could almost pass for full companion, he develops along the cours of the game and has a tiny little side-quest that you can find. Others are basically pointless mutes though.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
To enlighten you Trashos, from what I've read, you're never too nice.
Although here, you're probably right. I don't think maps would be a good way to support this though, bg1 didn't have memorable or good maps, and deadfire ones look very good.
I don't think it takes talent to stretch 15 wilderness areas wide. People also tend to forget that bg2 has very small maps, whenever they felt it wasn't necessary to pull out a huge one (beholder's lairs, mindflayer's nest, extraplanar levels etc) on top of big ones (amaunator's temple, firkraag's) which are comparable to old city (unfortunately the only big dungeon in deadfire if i'm not mistaken).

Needless to remind you as well that some maps were repeated, like the beholder one. Which was some concentric series of corridors filled with beholders of various rank.

Lacrymas It's not that dungeons are too small size-wise, it's that they're too short. Wael's map is very small, but it's a series of doors which open and close depending on a lot of levers scattered around it. It would be a cool dungeon, even if represented on a small map, if they actually took the time to put a puzzle there, which would require to spread the party between closed doors and progress like this. As it works now, you just casually walk through it, and it's very, very quickly done.
The size of the map isn't really the matter with these small dungeons imo. Their design, gameplay-wise, is.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sidekicks are at varying states. Rekke could almost pass for full companion, he develops along the cours of the game and has a tiny little side-quest that you can find. Others are basically pointless mutes though.
Likely a consequence of Rekke having a good deal of Dollarhyde's full attention, whereas no one's owned up to writing the others yet. Plus they do have that word count to consider (that they still went over) and obviously the full companions would take up the bulk of that. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
BG1's maps weren't designed to be "memorable", and even then I can still picture a lot of them. The point of it was to make a big semi-open world and populate them with random adventures. Yes, I have criticized the randomness and disconnected nature of BG1's content, but that can easily be fixed in games after it. BG2 even had a better structure, the accumulation of 50k gold was a good framework in which to have random adventures for money. I also somehow doubt PoE2 has "memorable" maps in the way you think of them. They need to be constructed like paintings, with everything that entails, not just have good-looking foliage, dynamic lighting and a waterfall or two. A good example is the top of Durgan's Battery and the Abbey with the skeleton of Abydon in WM, maybe even the spider city because it was so different from everything else in a good way. BG1 just opted for another solution, but they were still a lot and BIG, and varied enough to not become too samey and boring. Some of them were, though, not gonna lie.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Likely a consequence of Rekke having a good deal of Dollarhyde's full attention, whereas no one's owned up to writing the others yet. Plus they do have that word count to consider (that they still went over) and obviously the full companions would take up the bulk of that. :M

The funny thing is that she was hyping on her Twitter how she created entire new language for Rekke and it will be this amazingly thoughtful puzzle for player to figure out.

Whereas what actually happens, is you take him to your party and then he automatically learns the local language after couple of weeks in game time. :roll:

I'm almost certain that at some point someone showed the concept to Feargus, he went "bitch what the fuck?" and that was it for Kate's brilliant companion idea.

:slamdunk:

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
and varied enough to not become too samey and boring
That sounds like extremely subjective, according to recent posts about people who tried out BG1 a few days ago.
Their first impressions usually boils down to how wilderness maps are unnecessarily big and empty.

I too remember maps from BG1 because I too have played BG1 a lot.

I've recently started my first full playthrough of the BG saga. I've been trying to get into it for the last 15 or so years but I always seem to quit at some point. This time around however I finally managed to finish the first game. The main problem with this game imo is pacing both in terms of story progression and in terms of itemization. Although you spend the majority of the game wandering through wilderness and fighting trashmobs in hopes of finding anything meaningful to interact with, the Durlag's tower made this torment totally worth it.

Fairfax

Arcane
This is what Fig says about them -

Before joining your ranks, Sidekicks start out as unique NPCs integral to specific quests, complete with their own personalities and looks, and they may offer to join your party as a reward for completing their quest. Just like companions, these new characters have a custom portrait and voice sound-set. However, unlike companions, they do not have their own vision quest and will not participate in the relationship system outlined in our last stretch goal. We know you love more choice and flexibility when creating your parties, and Sidekicks are a way for us to give you that choice by providing a larger roster of characters to choose.

It just says they won't have vision quests and won't participate in the relationship system, it doesn't say they are going to be mute forever.
Interesting. Unless I missed something, Ydwin and Konstanten aren't "integral to specific quests", so that's not what they delivered. :M

I am not sure if I am being too nice or too harsh, but I don't think that the talent at Obsidian is comparable to the talent Bioware had back then. As a whole.
With the exception of writing, it's always been the case.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My framerate in Tikitaka is alright. It only goes down terribly in ship battles when suddenly 15 poirates appear and start launching fireworks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom