Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #48: What's Next - Upcoming Patches and Free DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

It's been a bit over two weeks since Pillars of Eternity II was released. The game's reception has generally been remarkably positive, marred mainly by complaints about companion writing and lack of difficulty, and concern over its seemingly underwhelming sales performance. Obsidian have plans to address at least one of those issues, first discussed in a post-release Josh Sawyer Q&A stream last week and detailed in today's Fig update, which lays out Deadfire's roadmap for the rest of the year. I quote:

The team at Obsidian is very proud of the reception that Deadfire is getting from the community, and we love reading and hearing your personal experiences as you explore the Deadfire for the first time. I would like to share what's in store for you in Pillars II over the next several months, including free content and new features!

The first large update for Deadfire will be launching in early June - Patch 1.1. This update contains hundreds of fixes and refinements based upon our internal testing and all the great feedback we have been getting.

Included in Patch 1.1 is a complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter and with new level scaling adjustments the game should be much more challenging. Let us know what you think on the forums - this will be an ongoing process based on community feedback. Secondly, for players who want to play the game for a second (or third!) time, we are adding an option to skip the introduction and jump straight into the second scene. This option will be available on the new game screen and will not require any Berath's Blessings points to activate. Lastly, the team is also adding new cosmetic options for player customization with the ability to change character appearance at any time.

While our programmers get Patch 1.1 ready, some of our artists and designers have had some time on their hands. They've put together the first of several free DLCs for Deadfire, "Rum Runner's Pack" which is coming out today. This pack features Mirke, a new Sidekick, along with a drunken personality idle animation and new alcoholic drinks. We will be releasing even more free DLC over the next few months that will add more items, ship upgrades, crew members, and appearance options. Look for the next free DLC to be available two weeks from now.

Just like the first Pillars of Eternity, the team is committed to support Deadfire with new features, content, bug fixes, and polish to make the game the best it can be. We are listening to your feedback on our forums, Reddit, social media, and user reviews - and the development team has many ideas for improvement, too. Through 2018, we have plans to add more quality of life changes to make the game better and better. For the mod community, we will be releasing documentation on the game data formats, and will be working on tools to help facilitate mods. Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran. As always, we are listening to feedback on what you would like to see in future updates.

Don't forget we have three expansive DLCs on the horizon. The first DLC, "Beast of Winter", is due to land this July. We will be showing off the new areas and content in the DLC soon!

It's been an amazing journey, and we aren't done yet. Thank you for your continued support for Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian. Now go forth, download "Rum Runner's Pack", and have a drink with your new friend Mirke.
Sounds good - early June for the difficulty patch is sooner than I expected. You can grab that free DLC on Steam or GOG.

Last edited by a moderator:

fobia

Will the free DLC help to get those sales up though?

Anybody knows of examples where that worked?
I can only think of The Witcher 3, but I think it wasn't the free DLCs that were responsible for it's success.

(It was Gwent ofc. :D)

Paul_cz

Arcane
How do we even know that sales are bad when steamspy is semidead?

I totally expected them to be bad though. No matter the quality of the game, there have been simply too many of these 2D/top down RPGs. Most people haven't even finished the first game or Divinity 2 yet.

Tigranes

Arcane
Revamped difficulty settings, skip intro button, those are very good changes. And that's what matters beyond the fluff.

Now we'll see (1) how good those revamps are, and (2) how good/bad the combat feels after them. No guarantees there.

Shilandra

Learned
So you can be an alcoholic now?

Sweet, I might just pick this game up after all. Nothing like representation of inebriation and waking up in a pile of your own vomit to really make you feel like your choices matter.

Trashos

Arcane
The game's reception has generally been remarkably positive, marred mainly by complaints about companion writing and lack of difficulty, and concern over its seemingly underwhelming sales performance.

Too much agenda. Let's rewrite this.

"The writing sucks and combat difficulty is a joke. Remarkably, there are some Codex members who find this acceptable. However, they are finding it hard to communicate what it is exactly that they like about the game. Also, muh graphics."

Shilandra

Learned
You know, I don't think ill ever really like pillars. Or at least its setting. For a fantasy game it just feels so, I don't know, grounded? Like they've stripped it of all its fantastical elements. One of the things I loved about the old dnd games was the setting was truly fantastic.Everything about the planes and their various makeup and the creatures who inhabited them were fascinating. Even on faerun itself you had all this mysticism and power as a constant undercurrent through the whole setting with people piciing up decorative family heirlooms and turning them into flaming swords of vengeance. There was a richness to the magic of the world that suffused it and made you feel like you could tap into it yourself as you grew. Heck, even tyranny brought some of this back with everything involving the archons and kyros and the magic system with the sigils. I loved every second of that stuff.

But with pillars, even stuff that starts bordering on the fantastic, like the gods and rocks that absorb and mold souls, are purposefully stepped on. The gods are just glorified automatons. The art and work of soulcraft is a clinical science for some reason, less mystical than Fucking magic. Even stuff like soulbound weapons were painfully boring at least from what I remeber.

Maybe its diffrent in deadfire, what with eathos coming back and all that. But I don't see how they can recover the fantastical when they spent damn near the entirety of the first game cheekily undermining their gods and thinking they were so clever and original for doing so.

Playing pillars feels empty, even if you were throwing around fireballs and fighting dragons there's nothing like the weave or the archons to back it up and make it feel like you're truly immersing yourself in a magical world and I truly,think that's a shame.

Morkar Left

What is amazing about Obsidian is that they can pinpoint what should be improved but always come up with the wrong solutions.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Playing pillars feels empty, even if you were throwing around fireballs and fighting dragons there's nothing like the weave or the archons to back it up and make it feel like you're truly immersing yourself in a magical world and I truly,think that's a shame.

That's because Ferg opted to play safe and let the copycat in charge of the project. He knew he'd get a bland, functional game, at least functional when compared to inXile Kickstarters, and settling for that was for some reason more appealing than letting someone like MCA shoot for the stars.

I have more respect for NumaNuma, at least they tried something new, even though project management and execution turned out to be a total shit fest.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

I totally expected them to be bad though. No matter the quality of the game, there have been simply too many of these 2D/top down RPGs. Most people haven't even finished the first game or Divinity 2 yet.
Not even remotely true. I have stopped playing because despite influx of iso games, how many can actually be considered good or stand in top 10 on their own?
You get some parts of game. One has so so mechanics, other has graphics, third has a bearable story. Full package? Not even remotely close. You know I would even settle for good mechanics and overlook other parts, but even that is not happening...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

For those who aren't following the extremely edgy and inane "Sales analysis" thread, Deadfire's owners are estimated at 117 000 as of today, according to steamspy.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is that good or bad?
Pretty bad. The steamspy sampling algorithm may be inaccurate for such small numbers, but in the best case consider it around 150 000.

117 000 would be terrible. But steamspy is so accurate it could as well be 117 000 000, so there's that.
Wishful thinking. You have Huge wounds to lick.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Even Steamspys old algorithm was quite inaccurate and would show contradictory changes after every update. And this was when the creator still thought it's accurate enough to be shown to the public. Right now after Valve retardoed data mining people's profiles, it's basically a random number generator posing as a sales analysis tool.

Are the sales good? No, they suck, and we can determine that as a fact just by looking at the steam bestseller charts.

But pretending that we have some actual data worth debating is pure autism, don't fool yourself.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The algorithm is explained, the margin of error also. I'd say it's accurate enough to know it's above 117 000 and below 150 000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom