Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
A sizeable number of codexers complained quite loudly at Wasteland 2 screenshots that included blur and Depth of Field. Yes that game is 3D, but it had a top down camera for the most part.

The recognizable area thing below is fair enough, but there's no reason to use a blur filter on it. Your eyes naturally have their own focal points, so blurring is unnecessary.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
While we are at it, let's also don't bother using proper perspective because your eyes can naturally detect which objects are close and which ones are away.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's just there to clearly differenciate between the background and the actual map. Considering there's some parallax effect going on by moving the camera, deactivating the blur would probably look goddamn ugly.
I mean, the effect would be very apparent, and wouldn't work at all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Rn5qUnX.jpg

although it didn't bother me, it's not the prettiest background you could do I guess

qintarra.jpg

Jezal_k23

So, ship combat is incredibly trivial once you get the hang of it.

My ship is clearly inferior and I still feel like I can defeat EVERYTHING with a little bit of luck, and otherwise getting into range asap, then hold -> fire -> jibe -> hold -> fire -> jibe -> ... forever with the starting ship until the enemy inevitably dies. I also always go for the hull, fuck everything else. I cause a shitstorm in their ship pretty quickly with the standard cannonball shot.

kr06f2x.jpg

The ship I defeated had like 4 cannons on each side, and I still fucked it up using the strategy I mentioned above. I don't know how much tougher ships can get, but right now I feel invincible with the starting ship and iron thunderer cannons.

Matticus

Educated
I think the background blur is just too pronounced - but they were limited in what they could do without increasing the background resolution. Obsidian went for a depth of field effect, but the decision was likely primarily to cut down on texture resolution and avoid texture tiling. Still, to my eyes the aerial perspective technique (with tiling) looks better in Arcanum.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
First bit of music that resonated with me is the ambiental from Poko Kohara. Really fits well together with the misty and mysterious Star Gatesque sand world with an ancient pyramid and a huge construct.

Matticus

Educated
You're right. There appears to be a Twin Elms Redux but I have no idea under what circumstances it plays. I've heard it while exploring though and instantly recognized it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So, ship combat is incredibly trivial once you get the hang of it.

My ship is clearly inferior and I still feel like I can defeat EVERYTHING with a little bit of luck, and otherwise getting into range asap, then hold -> fire -> jibe -> hold -> fire -> jibe -> ... forever with the starting ship until the enemy inevitably dies. I also always go for the hull, fuck everything else. I cause a shitstorm in their ship pretty quickly with the standard cannonball shot.

kr06f2x.jpg

The ship I defeated had like 4 cannons on each side, and I still fucked it up using the strategy I mentioned above. I don't know how much tougher ships can get, but right now I feel invincible with the starting ship and iron thunderer cannons.

The Ironclad is the toughest galleon I think. After that only some of the Junkers can give you trouble, since a few of them have 5 cannons and can basically delete your pitiful 60 hull in one salvo if unlucky. But that's few of them, the one with Feargus and maybe 2-3 others.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Disagree. Third game, if it happens, is D:OS clone. Multiplayer, full 3D.
And throw away multiple years worth of work on unique 2d/3d engine with shadow blending and multiple light sources just as it begins to show its true potential? Yep, sounds like Obsidian alright.
Why throw away when they can sell/lease the tech to Black Geyser and such :lol:

But I don't think the problem is that Deadfire is "2D" and has no multiplayer. The main factor is the marketing and the fact that they released one month later, just before a big sale. This ("before a big sale") was something that Josh was reluctant to admit during the stream, and the only point where he sounded kinda nervous.

To me it sounded like an acknowledgement that sales aren't meeting expectations and he takes the blame, or is currently "taking the blame" for that. "It sounds like you don't want to direct games any more." Let's hope the DLC policy will bring more people in.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Do we have evidence that Versus Evil botched the marketing for this game? How badly did they screw up?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do we have evidence that Versus Evil botched the marketing for this game? How badly did they screw up?
I haven't looked and I really don't know what to look for specifically, but the sales numbers speak for themselves.

Someone who has followed more closely D:OS2's campaign and can compare should speak.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The Ironclad is the toughest galleon I think. After that only some of the Junkers can give you trouble, since a few of them have 5 cannons and can basically delete your pitiful 60 hull in one salvo if unlucky. But that's few of them, the one with Feargus and maybe 2-3 others.
You can just board every ship in the game and don't bother with shooting.
After collecting harem and finishing old city i just grabbed some food and water and killed every bounty and boarded every ship in the game using starting ship. Only traders left - i'm not evul. Even with reduced exp turning quests on was enough to bring me to lvl 13. Now only vampires, Nemnok, tower and faction/story missions left on the map.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Was browsing through the cyclopedia and saw this. The fuck...

pLKLaSh.jpg

I thought it worked on a sliding scale where each stat is like +3 to -3 in terms of modifiers, and f.e "inflict hobbled" means -1 on the DEX scale while "inflict paralyze" means -3 on the DEX scale. If the cyclopedia is right, all inspiration granters are also a hard counter to afflictions.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
First bit of music that resonated with me is the ambiental from Poko Kohara. Really fits well together with the misty and mysterious Star Gatesque sand world with an ancient pyramid and a huge construct.

That is the theme of White march.

At 23:36:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I laughed when in the latest Co-Optional podcast one of the hosts brought up PoE2, mentioned that it is much more fun than PoE1, but then started complaining that the combat is not turn-based.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Hey AwesomeButton your modding tool got retweeted.
Ah, that's satisfying, and also will have a big effect on the views and tweeter follows :D I had tweeted a couple of times to him, just to let him know, but hadn't explicitly asked him to give a shoutout.

Thanks to aweigh for prompting me to post to reddit as well. Lots of people noticed it that come from there.

Quillon

Arcane
Finished the game again, chose Vailians this time instead of going alone with Kith taking lessons from history, doubt there is a better ending than this. Maybe I should have murdered Maia also for Port Maje tho, and maybe shoulda wiped Rautaians from Neketaka also :P

Now I've played it twice for my canon playthrough, time to play it with alternate characters/agendas, preset histories giving me ideas for what kinda characters to play and choosing which faction at the end. And many multiclasses to try yet.

:prosper::prosper::prosper:

Tigranes

Arcane
Was browsing through the cyclopedia and saw this. The fuck...

pLKLaSh.jpg

I thought it worked on a sliding scale where each stat is like +3 to -3 in terms of modifiers, and f.e "inflict hobbled" means -1 on the DEX scale while "inflict paralyze" means -3 on the DEX scale. If the cyclopedia is right, all inspiration granters are also a hard counter to afflictions.

I mean, that I think is actually how it should work - but they needed to get rid of all these 8000 retarded synonyms, who can keep track of hobbled and quick and deft and nimble? They just needed "DEX Penalty" and "DEX Bonus", and then have a system where a dex penalty spell will cancel out an existing dex bonus, and vice versa, without players having to calculate "OK i am QUICK so that's +3 dex and he just hit me with HOBBLE so that's -2 so I am still NIMBLE which is +1" or whatever.

It does confound me that they thought it was a good idea to expand on POE1 and add even more words you have to hover over in 3 layers to figure out what the fuck your malus is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom