Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Is the Codex compliant with new EU regulation regarding private data?

thesoup

Arcane
The EU is gay and I fuck their mothers.

There, I said it

So, what is bad about being able to get your info deleted? I thought you conservatards were all about privacy?

Ah right, I forgot, starving third-worlder worrying about first-world problems.
Because no matter what the EU does, the codex conservative will find a way to rationalize it into a conspiracy theory about a Soros plot to end Western Civilization. The EU and its member states have been suing Facebook, google and apple left and right, but this is still bad because something something refugees Jews.

Mustawd

There, I said it

So, what is bad about being able to get your info deleted? I thought you conservatards were all about privacy?

Ah right, I forgot, starving third-worlder worrying about first-world problems.
Because no matter what the EU does, the codex conservative will find a way to rationalize it into a conspiracy theory about a Soros plot to end Western Civilization. The EU and its member states have been suing Facebook, google and apple left and right, but this is still bad because something something refugees Jews.

You forgot to mention the CIA vinegars.

Trashos

Arcane
Several areas where the GDPR is being implemented now are simply at a "best guess" and "best effort" level because nobody really knows for sure whether what's being implemented is exactly what the EU bureaucrats had in mind, or technological limitations prevent it at this point in time. But that's to be expected from a regulation as far-reaching as this one.

I 'd say that the bureaucrats will be figuring things out as they go, as well. There was a lot of fighting around GDPR, so its final version is just a mix of different opinions and compromises. But we are agreeing that ultimately it is all going to be figured out in practice.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Europa is and had always been the retarded kid who goes against the common sense of the rest of the world.

Europa IS the common sense of the rest of the world, and the source of civilization. There is no sense, common or otherwise, in the rest of the world.

Well, until recently.

Millennial scum
You mean Greek, Roma, and Byzantium, not western europe, right? They've always been retarded until the American knock them some sense.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You mean Greek, Roma, and Byzantium, not western europe, right? They've always been retarded until the American knock them some sense.
Americans ARE mostly western Europeans (yeah I know, nation of immigrants lol)

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
What do you get if you don't comply? Seems silly to try to interfere with sales across borders, if you don't want to deal with local laws don't buy from china/usa/etc.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Fines are potentially massive, 20/10 mil or 4/2 % yearly turnover. That's obviously meant for the Googles and the Facebooks, idk how much Codex would be fined, if at all.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I believe the Codex is on Aussie servers? If so, that means the EU can go hump a muslim because their laws are not enforceable on the Codex.

Google and Facebook are different because they have offices in the EU and therefore subject to their laws?

Jokzore

Arbiter
I believe the Codex is on Aussie servers? If so, that means the EU can go hump a muslim because their laws are not enforceable on the Codex.

Google and Facebook are different because they have offices in the EU and therefore subject to their laws?

No, if you process EU citizen data or provide goods/services on EU territory it applies. That's why in the Gonzalez case you had both Google Spain and Google Inc (US based) participating.

Cael

Arcane

No, if you process EU citizen data or provide goods/services for them it applies to you too. That's why in the Gonzalez case you had both Google Spain and Google Inc (US based) participating.
But how are they going to compel non-EU states to hand over their citizens for violating a law that is not part of a reciprocal agreement (mainly because the non-EU states don't have such a law)?

Unwanted

Bladeract

Dumbfuck
All states today are basically rogue states. They decide by treaty when people get extradited and will enforce other countries laws if theu have a treaty with them. Like the kid who had up a site to watch US tv shows which was perfectly legal in UK, but he got handed over to US in spite of doing nothing illegal where he lives.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Practically it's never going to be citizens, it's going to be companies.

If you refuse to comply though... well Europe is a massive market and these are the guys who control any and all access to it, so you can guess the next step.

It's very much in the companies interest to comply and that's exactly what Google is doing. Since the landmark CJEU ruling they've delisted over a million results, I think they obey ~43% of the requests and those numbers are only gonna go up now that an actual regulation is in place (as opposed to a directive).

Cael

Arcane
All states today are basically rogue states. They decide by treaty when people get extradited and will enforce other countries laws if theu have a treaty with them. Like the kid who had up a site to watch US tv shows which was perfectly legal in UK, but he got handed over to US in spite of doing nothing illegal where he lives.
Well, it is going to be fun watching the legal battles.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

No, if you process EU citizen data or provide goods/services for them it applies to you too. That's why in the Gonzalez case you had both Google Spain and Google Inc (US based) participating.
But how are they going to compel non-EU states to hand over their citizens for violating a law that is not part of a reciprocal agreement (mainly because the non-EU states don't have such a law)?

The magic power of wishful thinking

Unwanted

Bladeract

Dumbfuck
I crippled up my leg a few weeks ago and can't walk for another month or two and somehow google knows this and keeps showing me ads for this hilarious kind of strap on peg leg thing that costs 149 bucks. I thought it was just coincidence at first but I keep getting it more and mre, I gotta say they have a point when they seem to know something I didn't even type on the computer somewhere.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Google doesn't have supernatural powers, it's just very good at tracking your every little info dump and adjusting the advertising to suit. Somewhere where it could identify you, not necessarily your own computer, you searched for something related to your injury.

Origin

Augur

There, I said it

Well, part of the problem is in the fact that every company will have to invest both time and money to adapt to new regulations.

Which are maximally bureaucratic, partly nonsensical and lack efficient standardization. EU style.

Not to mention the incoming abuse trend of end users that started the day off the wrong foot.

But don't worry, every EU country already has couple of key corporations offering their "expert consultancy" on the topic. Which of course, comes with outrageously overblown price.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
Well, part of the problem is in the fact that every company will have to invest both time and money to adapt to new regulations.

Which are maximally bureaucratic, partly nonsensical and lack efficient standardization. EU style.

Its cumbersome because the burden of proof is on the company to show the data they're processing is for purposes of journalism, art, science, academy etc.

Potentially anyone who's information you're processing (regardless of if they gave it up willingly, or you collected it yourself) can ask of you to control that data.

I'm guessing Google is gonna do the exact same thing YouTube does with copyright claims, shoot first and ask questions later, distance themselves from even the potential of liability.

EDIT: Also the exemptions are almost entirely left to Member States to regulate. So if you're in a country that isn't a big fan of journalism or freedom of expression, you're pretty much shit out of luck.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I crippled up my leg a few weeks ago and can't walk for another month or two and somehow google knows this and keeps showing me ads for this hilarious kind of strap on peg leg thing that costs 149 bucks. I thought it was just coincidence at first but I keep getting it more and mre, I gotta say they have a point when they seem to know something I didn't even type on the computer somewhere.

Google knew we were having a baby.

Even though I had never done any baby related searches.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom