Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's probably the last isometric RPG Obsidian make, yeah. Unless people really are waiting for a "definitive edition" and sales explode once that comes out, but I somehow doubt it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nah, even with the sales bombing I can't imagine they wouldn't get a million or two on Kickstarter or Fig again. But Deadfire is definitely shaping up to be the last high-effort game of the revival era, where devs actually risk investing their own money, innovate and expand on the features.

3rd game if it happens, is gonna be HBS style by-the-book cheap sequel, with everpresent reuse of assets, systems and technology.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I do not know how dispositive sales are to a kickstarter game, relative to publisher funded game. All they need is enough people to fund another campaign.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I do not know how dispositive sales are to a kickstarter game, relative to publisher funded game. All they need is enough people to fund another campaign.

Making games that doesn't sell is not a sustainable strategy, even with kickstarter money, a couple of mils is chump change for a company based in California. It's clear that they can't make decent games on a budget, hell they could barely do it with big money from publishers. Tyranny failed, PoE 2 continues to fail, Obsidian is about to be done with isometric games if they know what's good for them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3rd game if it happens, is gonna be HBS style by-the-book cheap sequel, with everpresent reuse of assets, systems and technology.

Disagree. Third game, if it happens, is D:OS clone. Multiplayer, full 3D. (They can ditch the randomized items and keep the classes to distinguish themselves.)

If even inXile can do it...

Parabalus

Arcane
Empower should be something like fate points in Arcanum...

Fate points were a cool concept that sucked in practice.

Best use of it is to pickpocket OP stuff early, for "real" gameplay it's use is limited, especially since a good part of them are tied to Arcanum's combat :M.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nah, even with the sales bombing I can't imagine they wouldn't get a million or two on Kickstarter or Fig again. But Deadfire is definitely shaping up to be the last high-effort game of the revival era, where devs actually risk investing their own money, innovate and expand on the features.

I wouldn't mind that at all.

It certainly looks good enough and I wouldn't have learned that sometimes confusing rule set for only two games.

Mustawd

Disagree. Third game, if it happens, is D:OS clone. Multiplayer, full 3D. (They can ditch the randomized items and keep the classes to distinguish themselves.)

If even inXile can do it..

Well, that would basically mean a better SCL? Cuz the RTwP would have to turn into RT in MP, even if it might technically exist in SP. Also, I doubt OE can pull off the N+ design of Larian, which is really where it succeeded commercially IMO. The fact that it has great reactivity and you can basically do and kill anything you want is a huge plus.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
They should at least make crew consume food when you're dungeon crawling, so that if you're rest spamming you lose good food at a rapid rate or quickly accrue morale penalties from water and hardtack.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Disagree. Third game, if it happens, is D:OS clone. Multiplayer, full 3D. If even inXile is going there...

Heh. I bet they will give up on "eora".
That will be an improvement. The world is pretty badly written/created. A fresh start with that engine and some good writer making the world will be incline. Sadly that will never happen.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Rn5qUnX.jpg

I just punched Concelhaut for 270 damage (crit+swift flurry). I also have a pair of gloves with 33% chance of extra lightning damage on crit, but they didn't go off here.

As far as min-maxing goes, I could have swapped my gloves out for +2 alchemy, which would yield another power level and +1 accuracy, but I like the flavor of the lightning gloves.

5dqHdz1.jpg

gCeqyxl.jpg

Ulfhednar

Savant
It's kind of embarassing that Josh mentioned that bit about adding a malus to hardtack... cause you know, I'm really short on rice, ale, koiki fruit, and whatever that fish is that my crew has to inspect in a scripted interaction every 30 min.

How about a DLC that adds four new monster types to the game and high level enemy parties that take full advantage of the multiclassing system you spent two years balancing?

Kaivokz

Arcane
That background blur looks terrible. Who's dumb idea was that
I never really noticed it while playing. It only happens in places with a large contrast in depth (like the top of a tower). It also moves as you move the camera (simulating perspective). It looks bad if you stare at it, but the contrast with the rest of the screen is such that your eye isn't drawn to it while actually playing the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What we really don’t want to do is get back into the Pillars 1 situation where people angrily stomp back to to civilization for food / inns every 20 minutes because they feel “forced” to.
:prosper:

Yet another person who thinks games should look like film instead of being there.

Tigranes

Arcane
uh.... or someone who wanted to not render a huge forest in detail.

from what i remember it's only that soupy for really high up towers (of which there are few), and elsewhere it does pretty clever tricks like showing you a recognisable and accurate map of the area below as you are looking over the steps / area transition.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What we really don’t want to do is get back into the Pillars 1 situation where people angrily stomp back to to civilization for food / inns every 20 minutes because they feel “forced” to.
:prosper:

Yet another person who thinks games should look like film instead of being there.
even the human eye have focal points you know
granted not as extreme as in that screenshot

regardless, scenes like that didn't bother me in the least while playing and I'm extremely blur/motionblur sensitive. I remember the location but I don't remember the blur.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Are you people seriously making analogies between fixed blur in a 2D isometric game that is used exclusively in high vertical areas to create illusion of depth, to a motion blur in a 3D Witcher games where it is used to mimic film distortions?

Jesus fucking Christ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom