Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Rentals

I watched a excellent video from Gaming Historian...

... and now I wonder how many of you rented video games in the past instead of buying? Maybe still do that, I mean - beyond digital distribution?

In Poland, I cannot remember ANY of video game rental stores, maybe there were some during the most expensive consoles era in late nineties (PSX) but thanks to rampant piracy there was no place for such kind of services in viable scale.

Nathir

Liturgist
Must be an american thing. I never rented a game from a store, only from friends.

Mustawd

... and now I wonder how many of you rented video games in the past instead of buying?

I only ever owned like 2 or 3 games. Rented the rest, which is why I never used to finish games. My dad and I would go to Blockbuster on a Friday night, rent the game, and have to return by Sunday evening. So that's really only like 2 days when you think about it.

but thanks to rampant piracy there was no place for such kind of services in viable scale.

Yah, the US didn't have the piracy scene from what I hear Euros had. Also, back when I first started renting it was for the SNES/Sega Genesis, so I don't think pirated cartridges even existed?

mondblut

Arcane
Well, I used to purchase bootleg game CDs, copy them on CDRs then return to the stores to exchange for other CDs, does that count?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yah, the US didn't have the piracy scene from what I hear Euros had. Also, back when I first started renting it was for the SNES/Sega Genesis, so I don't think pirated cartridges even existed?
There were bootleg cartridges, but I think this kind of activity was largely suppressed in Japan, the United States, and other First World countries, so if you wanted to play a console game in the Atari, NES, or SNES eras you needed to purchase or rent it. The computer software industry, on the other hand, already had a serious piracy problem in the 1980s, due to the ease of copying "floppy" disks.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Back in the day sometimes me and a friend used to rent a PSX console and tried to finish games over the weekend. I remember we finished MGS, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Broken Sword and that Duke Nukem psx game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom