Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Is the Codex compliant with new EU regulation regarding private data?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Technically what this means is that every user should have access to a self-nuke button in their profile.

Not really. The implementation is up to each individual forum. DU has been nuking accounts on request manually so far and he can continue doing that. Although the forum software that we're using has implemented the GDPR requirements internally with the latest version released a few days ago, so most of the related administration will be easier and faster to do in the future. That said, the GDPR requirements only require the removal of personally identifiable information, so there is no requirement for the forum owners to delete any posts/threads except those (if any) that contain a user's personally identifiable information. Basically, when requested, we'll be required to delete or otherwise anonymize user accounts, but the posts you make get to stay.

Unless they're shit and we feel like deleting them all anyway too, of course.

Also, this only applies to EU citizens, technically.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you say yes, you get to visit RPG Watch.

Mother of god.

The EU has gone too far. TOO FAR!

Terrorising their populations and flooding Europe with machete rapegangs is one thing, forcing countries to obey laws they don't want, whatever. But this? Forcing citizens to the RPG Watch? This is inhuman.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yeah, so we're just banning people from the EU so we don't have to deal with their shitty regulations. A big box will pop up asking if you're from the EU, if you say no, you can access the forum. If you say yes, you get to visit RPG Watch.

better hurry up, before you end up in handcuffs like Kim Dotcom ..

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Europa is and had always been the retarded kid who goes against the common sense of the rest of the world.

Europa IS the common sense of the rest of the world, and the source of civilization. There is no sense, common or otherwise, in the rest of the world.

Well, until recently.

Millennial scum

Jokzore

Arbiter

It also applies to anyone processing data regarding EU citizen or offering goods/services on EU territory, that's why EU has been hammering Google in multiple cases regarding the new ''right to be forgotten''.

The EU is gay and I fuck their mothers.

There, I said it

So, what is bad about being able to get your info deleted? I thought you conservatards were all about privacy?

Ah right, I forgot, starving third-worlder worrying about first-world problems.

"Deleted"

I have no faith that Fagbook and co are not just deleting it from your sight, not from (((their))) servers.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

It also applies to anyone processing data regarding EU citizen or offering goods/services on EU territory, that's why EU has been hammering Google in multiple cases regarding the new ''right to be forgotten''.

I was referring to the right to have your forum account nuked. Technically, we're only required to do it for EU citizens. The "right to be forgotten" is search engine-specific and only indirectly related.

Jokzore

Arbiter
''nuking'' IS right to be forgotten. It's just that all high profile cases have been of search engines, since that's where data is most accessible/visible. However it applies to anyone that processes ''any information related to the subject''. There's cases in Italy and Belgium where it's been used to scrub clean news archives because people didn't want negative articles staining their reputation.

edit: As for it being exclusive to EU citizens, that's true as far as GDPR is concerned. However there's plenty of other legislation in other parts of the world (see Hong Kong, Turkey) where RTBF is being introduced.

Honestly Idk how to feel about this shit. On one hand I like knowing that I have more control over my own data but on the other it can be viewed as a new form of censorship, rewriting history and such.

It makes me think of that 1984 quote ''We've always been at war with Eastasia''.

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
''nuking'' IS right to be forgotten. It's just that all high profile cases have been of search engines, since that's where data is most accessible/visible. However it applies to anyone that processes ''any information related to the subject''. There's cases in Italy and Belgium where it's been used to scrub clean news archives because people didn't want negative articles staining their reputation.

edit: As for it being exclusive to EU citizens, that's true as far as GDPR is concerned. However there's plenty of other legislation in other parts of the world (see Hong Kong, Turkey) where RTBF is being introduced.

Honestly Idk how to feel about this shit. On one hand I like knowing that I have more control over my own data but on the other it can be viewed as a new form of censorship, rewriting history and such.

It makes me think of that 1984 quote ''We've always been at war with Eastasia''.

No, the GDPR goes way beyond just the right to be forgotten, hence my pointing out the distinction. Popularly it's being dumbed down and kept at simple terms so that your average user knows what we're talking about, but in the background there's far, far more that is being required specifically of website operators from a legal, full compliance POV. Much of it mildly to ridiculously impractical for hobbyist/fan/non-profit websites because the requirements are identical for billion dollar companies and Joe's Bestest Fan Forum Evar. It's complicated to the point that various law firms currently have differing opinions and/or explanations of some of the GDPR requirements so it's going to take anywhere from several months to several years before everything is tested in courts to the point that various rulings make practical implementation crystal clear at least in the majority if not all cases.

Several areas where the GDPR is being implemented now are simply at a "best guess" and "best effort" level because nobody really knows for sure whether what's being implemented is exactly what the EU bureaucrats had in mind, or technological limitations prevent it at this point in time. But that's to be expected from a regulation as far-reaching as this one.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The one thing this has been good for is that a lot of the semi-spam I was too lazy to click on the unsubscribe button for is now going away

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom