Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
I wasn't given the option to romance both Xoti and Maia, this game is shit

Lhynn

Arcane
Multiple romance mods are surely on the way. Also probably a pallegina and eder romance, and a pallegina/eder romance as well.

Codex Year of the Donut
Multiple romance mods are surely on the way. Also probably a pallegina and eder romance, and a pallegina/eder romance as well.

"Listen, bluebirds fly with bluebirds. Red birds wanna be with red birds. Tell me when I’m wrong. Pigeons fly with pigeons."

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
tumblr_p8ojeavUsl1ri36afo1_500.gif

Flou

Arbiter
When I looked at GOG last week, PoE2 was on the 47th page out of 50 on the bestsellers list. Now it's on the 42nd.

Still climbing steadily(?), but at a quite slow pace. Page 40 out of 50. #1 on the most popular list on the 1st page, with Pillars 1 Definite Edition being #2

On Steam the PDXCon sales launched Pillars 1 Definite Edition to the 1st page on Global Top Sellers as well at #24 with Deadfire being at #34 and Pillars 1 normal edition at #42. Tyranny isn't on sale for some reason currently. I guess they are saving it for the summer sale.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game keeps falling on steam harder than Little Boy fell on Hiroshima, right now it's on place 54 and it keeps going down baby:lol:. Also the game barely hits 8k po daily on steam, which is aggravating and a terrible omen for the incoming DLC's. I said from the first week since PoE 1 was released, the sequel is not going to succeed, the generic universe combined with a terrible and shallow combat system is going to push a lot of players away and It seem I was pretty much right.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game keeps falling on steam harder than Little Boy fell on Hiroshima, right now it's on place 54 and it keeps going down baby:lol:. Also the game barely hits 8k po daily on steam, which is aggravating and a terrible omen for the incoming DLC's. I said from the first week since PoE 1 was released, the sequel is not going to succeed, the generic universe combined with a terrible and shallow combat system is going to push a lot of players away and It seem I was pretty much right.
The DLCs are already near completions in my opinion. A lot of cut content in deadfire.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Really? POE1 (along with Obsidian) seem to be loved by many people, even here. I guess, just not ENOUGH people to warrant POE2's success.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They only have to pay Fig investors, if the game makes money after covering their expenses.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Does that matter? If it sells so bad they cannot pay, they probably won't survive anyway.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Really? POE1 (along with Obsidian) seem to be loved by many people, even here. I guess, just not ENOUGH people to warrant POE2's success.

Really. You might've missed that only a few people endorse PoE1 here. Before anyone says anything, I'm one of those people, but that comes with a huge asterisk and a loooooong list of compromises. The vast majority of people who bought the game outside of the 'Dex didn't play 3.0, so they only remember the broken mess that was release. Achievements for WM confirm this. I think PoE failed to create a sizeable fanbase and the low sales of DF are the consequence of that. We can, and have, spilled enormous amounts of pixel ink detailing why exactly PoE isn't good, but I guess the general public just intuitively picked up on that, even if they can't explain why. It's not some forward-thinking and ahead of its time masterpiece that is incomprehensible to people in this day and age and we have to wait decades for people to start appreciating it, it's simply not that good. The very few good moments (90% of them being in WM) aren't enough to redeem the whole.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They only have to pay Fig investors, if the game makes money after covering their expenses.

I got a different impression from this though (share in proceeds for all pc sales, at a lower % after 1.13 the FIG funds are returned, also see graph of returns for levels of sales):
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/invest

Intersting, that their marketing material in the "Invest" section is different from the actual dividend policy.

Okay, so where does the revenue for “Mega Super Fun Time!” go? After paying expenses and costs associated with making and publishing the games, the money left over is divvied up between (1) Fred, (2) Fig, and (3) investors who bought Fig Game Shares for “Mega Super Fun Time!”

Now, it’s possible that the amount left over is negative. That means the games haven’t generated enough revenue to recoup expenses, at least not yet. Over time, that balance could shift as more people buy “Mega Super Fun Time!” and the dividend amount becomes positive. In general, once the games recoup expenses, the better the game sells, the larger your dividends will be.

KevinV12000

Arcane
This is the first Obsidian game I haven't bought out of a sense of wanting to support the developer I viewed as the last of the computer game (versus vidya game) developers. Hell, I even bought the South Park shit.

I just can't do it this time around. PoE was just painful to play, and the idea that the folks who did enjoy it want a pirate-themed sequel is so fantastically retarded I can only hope it was the decision of some committee.

If these guys simply focused on their audience--computer gamers--instead of sneering at them as outdated or stuck in their ways, they could be making a good living producing niche games for a niche market. Instead, they seem to want to become a console developer while still making the kind of games computer gamers like, i.e. pissing off both fan bases at once.

It's like watching a traditional jazz band decide to release an album of Beyonce covers. Beyonce fans won't like it, and you've just pissed the hell out of your real fans.

Bohr

Arcane
Intersting, that their marketing material in the "Invest" section is different from the actual dividend policy.

Okay, so where does the revenue for “Mega Super Fun Time!” go? After paying expenses and costs associated with making and publishing the games, the money left over is divvied up between (1) Fred, (2) Fig, and (3) investors who bought Fig Game Shares for “Mega Super Fun Time!”

Now, it’s possible that the amount left over is negative. That means the games haven’t generated enough revenue to recoup expenses, at least not yet. Over time, that balance could shift as more people buy “Mega Super Fun Time!” and the dividend amount becomes positive. In general, once the games recoup expenses, the better the game sells, the larger your dividends will be.

Makes me wonder how much variation there is between different FIG campaigns (haven't followed others) but I'd certainly expect the details laid out on the Deadfire investor page to be followed or they'd have a problem

Anyway, just 543,650 full price sales for investors to break even

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's easier to scam investors, if the revenue share doesn't start with the first copy sold, but after covering development expenses, which certainly can be influenced by creative accounting in a company which has several projects in the pipeline at the same time.

But because Fig isn't the developer, this would also scam Fig.

Gulnar

Scholar
By now people should have finished it. Well? Your verdict? Shit? Incline?

I don't want to read 200 pages of rant.

Good things:
In general, i liked the game. The first one was imho too generic, too stereotyped, while the pirate/colonialism theme of the second one was a bit fresher. It was a bit like a second expedition conquistador.
There's a lot of secondary quests, there's a lot of things you can do.
The combat feels better than the one of the first one, and i like the distance from the old vancian system, and especially from the atrocious supplies system.
The companions are bland enough not to annoy me.
Honestly, i liked the naval combat. It would be probably annoying if there was much more of it, but it feels like it's the right amount, imho, and it's ok.
Bad things:
The bugs are really bad. There's a lot of 'em, and they range from "petty annoyance" to "Morrowind FPS bug".
The ending is awful and the main quest is somewhat mediocre. You're a passive observer to someone else tale. Thankfully, it's short enough.
The companions are bland.

In short: Not the greatest game of the world, but imho fun enough to play and enjoy. Also, there's a codex troll!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom