Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
I forbid myself to refresh resources too because it becomes retarded (cast 20 spells then get back spells cast again)

Game should be balanced around player planning to beat encounter with his base power point pool, without ability to refresh anything

Also fuck monster summoning figurines, were broken in PoE1, same shit here.

Can't be arsed to check if it was already referenced here, but Josh said in the Gamasutra stream the other day that there will be a massive bump in difficulty to both Veteran and PotD
The problem is game systemically gives too many crutches to the player and is not symmetrical by it's design. Too many buffs, food, consumables, Empower system, summons, no penalty for dying,

I mean you can just act totally retarded in combat - nuke your whole party together with monsters, then get back up, eat some oranges. It's degenerate gameplay by it's design.

Last edited:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Also the side-quests are not related to the story at all, basically 90% of the side content is oblivious to the fact that a giant adra god is rampaging around and it's about to destroy the dumb wheel.

Actually there is a Huana quest which involves finding maps to the
ancient city of ukaizo
I think that is good foreshadowing of the main quest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Game should be balanced around player planning to beat encounter with his base power point pool, without ability to refresh anything

Then the encounters will be broken by using the Empower/refresh. This was obvious the second Josh said they are implementing the Empower mechanic, though.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Heh, 2 casters

Wait a sec I find some random high levels

Level 6 Transmuter, MIG/PER/INT

Thinking of abandoning this playthrough (or putting tape over part of monitor that has empower button to not see it)
I would do the same. The difficulty would have been more enjoyable had I just ignored empower all together. I do not know how you balance it when it buffs damage and there is no downside.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
He also said that he knew it was too easy but didn't prioritise it for release because he thought quest-breaking bugs are worse

well if the current state of quests is supposed to be less quest-breaking buggy, i shudder to think how it must have looked before

Shadenuat

Arcane

Then the encounters will be broken by using the Empower/refresh. This was obvious the second Josh said they are implementing the Empower mechanic, though.
I mean, there should't be any refresh/empower at all.

You have 5 spells, you plan with that.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's so funny seeing Obsitards trying to play down the flop that this game is, truly hilarious. Non existent AI on highest difficulty, no reactivity, garbage writing, horrendous encounters and let's remind ourselves that the game barely reaches 8k players on steam:lol:

tfw you've pointed out every single criticism 2 weeks ago, with more details, but you're called a shill for noting how utterly pointless a couple of vids are
i'm sorry if I upset you, let me give you an advice for your future videos (which i have no doubt, will be of great relevance) : fix the sound mixing so we can at least try to hear what you have to say
see you tomorrow for your daily reminder to the codex that you're the real deal and don't like popamole shit

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
It's so funny seeing Obsitards trying to play down the flop that this game is, truly hilarious. Non existent AI on highest difficulty, no reactivity, garbage writing, horrendous encounters and let's remind ourselves that the game barely reaches 8k players on steam:lol:

tfw you've pointed out every single criticism 2 weeks ago, with more details, but you're called a shill for noting how utterly pointless a couple of vids are
i'm sorry if I upset you, let me give you an advice for your future videos (which i have no doubt, will be of great relevance) : fix the sound mixing so we can at least try to hear what you have to say
see you tomorrow for your daily reminder to the codex that you're the real deal and don't like popamole shit

At least I post things that actually prove the game is broken beyond belief, instead of posting useless crap like you that has nothing to do with the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I actually liked Empower on my first run for the first early levels until everything became absurdly easy. It's a mechanic with a lot potential for cool tactical plays, a sort of consumable awesome button that at least in theory should have you pause and consider how best to use it.

It's just that right now combat wins itself without you casting any spells anyway, so empower is an obvious overkill. But if they can beef up the difficulty, I think it might be cool feature. You'd always have that decision on whether to empower a buff, a debuff, a damage spell, or save it for a refresh if you predict a longer fight.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, watching the Gamasutra VOD and the guy playing in the background is so terrible, can't fight 2 skeletons without getting half of his party knocked out.
He uses empower to refresh eder's abilities then decides not to use any of them and chugs a potion instead. :lol:

No wonder the game turned out so easy if this is the average player.

Parabalus

Arcane

They both need to be removed on PoTD. Even if you give them to enemies (too much work IMO) on all difficulties, they should be disabled for the player on PoTD.

I actually liked Empower on my first run for the first early levels until everything became absurdly easy. It's a mechanic with a lot potential for cool tactical plays, a sort of consumable awesome button that at least in theory should have you pause and consider how best to use it.

Empower is great if you are fighting overleveled enemies, I think vs the kraken, steel constructs I ran out of juice and restored PP. When you are vs same level it feels like a cheat. The +10 PL is broken on some scaling spells, using that on Meteor Shower or Disintegrate is flat nuts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just don't get what the point of it is. I know it's a way to make resting relevant, but why exactly does it work like it does? Couldn't it have been something else? It's really weird and it creates more problems than it solves. It basically makes balancing encounters impossible. It could've been single use per rest for the entire party, rather than everyone having 2 empowers per rest.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Also the side-quests are not related to the story at all, basically 90% of the side content is oblivious to the fact that a giant adra god is rampaging around and it's about to destroy the dumb wheel.

ancient city of ukaizo
There's the stone tablet quest as well.
Problem is, for each of these quests, you're given the choice to help the natives or rauatai. Yet there's absolutely no consequence, not even a simple mention, of that choice. I delivered the map to rauatai and destroyed the ukaizo map delivery machine, but as far as I could tell, there was no actual consequence. Not even a word in the ending slides.

Also I liked how different quests and different npcs would bring up the topic of ukaizo here and there, but I thought it was some optional high level area which would require the player to actually discover its coordinates or something. When you realize it's the crit path ending (and burn your eyes at the spectacle of how empty and utterly pointless it is), it just falls flat. Especially since there's not a single consequence to these little quests.
Talking of which, the game does have coordinates on the archipelago map, but never makes any use of it for treasure hunt and whatnot. That was an obvious occasion to benefit from the open world aspect, and yet another missed one.

Parabalus

Arcane
I just don't get what the point of it is. I know it's a way to make resting relevant, but why exactly does it work like it does? Couldn't it have been something else? It's really weird and it creates more problems than it solves. It basically makes balancing encounters impossible. It could've been single use per rest for the entire party, rather than everyone having 2 empowers per rest.

It goes up to 5-6 per rest at high levels.

It's just pointless, JES should remove every single per rest mechanic and balance around per encounters.

In the current system mostly everything is per encounter, but the "powerful" item abilities/empowers are per rest - but you can still rest spam to your hearts content, since the food "limitation" is laughable, it really feels like the worst of both IE and PoE1 worlds.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

ancient city of ukaizo
There's the stone tablet quest as well.
Problem is, for each of these quests, you're given the choice to help the natives or rauatai. Yet there's absolutely no consequence, not even a simple mention, of that choice. I delivered the map to rauatai and destroyed the ukaizo map delivery machine, but as far as I could tell, there was no actual consequence. Not even a word in the ending slides.

Also I liked how different quests and different npcs would bring up the topic of ukaizo here and there, but I thought it was some optional high level area which would require the player to actually discover its coordinates or something. When you realize it's the crit path ending (and burn your eyes at the spectacle of how empty and utterly pointless it is), it just falls flat. Especially since there's not a single consequence to these little quests.
Talking of which, the game does have coordinates on the archipelago map, but never makes any use of it for treasure hunt and whatnot. That was an obvious occasion to benefit from the open world aspect, and yet another missed one.

Yeah I found these three quests (the tablet, the map and the one in the undercity) very odd. Writing wise they are all really cool and fun to do. But they also seem oddly out of place in the grand scheme out things. Like, I get an impression they were all supposed to be part of the main quest at some point, where you search for final location. Which would be very fitting for a pirate, sea-faring game.

It's like at some point they changed direction and those quests were poorly baked into the faction quests and disconnected from the main narrative.

It's really weird.

frajaq

Erudite
It's just pointless, JES should remove every single per rest mechanic and balance around per encounters.

Yeah at this point (and specially how short most of the dungeons are), this would be the best way to do it. A lot of the special per-rest abilities given by certain unique equipment could be balanced to be per-encounter easily probably.

The summon figurines that are pretty broken currently would have to be re-balanced entirely and put a limitation in it (there could be an inventory slot dedicated to it even), but they could still remain since it's fun to find them and use them

jungl

Augur
Beat the game today. Game was very similar to storm of zehir and tyranny. Bunch of small or one map dungeons everywhere. Storm of zehir was more fun to explore and tyranny had more engaging story somewhat. They should of focused more on bigger dungeon crawling maps. I could care less about voice acting and factions. The visuals were pretty and the combat system is fine. Maybe isometric story based rpg games is simply not obsidian's forte. They should try making low key indie type rpgs not focus as much on lore and epic story stuff. Had more fun playing jeffs vogels latest avernum remake.

Erebus

Arcane
Storm of zehir was more fun to explore

Oh, come on ! Exploration in SoZ was dreadfully boring ; 90% of its optional dungeons/encounters had no entertainment value whatsoever. Deadfire does a much better job.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Rum Runner's Pack:

https://af.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_rum_runners_pack?as=1649904300

Whether celebrating your triumphs or nursing the wounds of defeat, it’s always a fine time to reward your crew with an extra round of rum rations. The Rum Runner’s Pack makes available a six-pack of new libations and adds the recruitable sidekick Mirke to the game, since no Captain should drink alone.

Included in this DLC:
• Mirke, a new sidekick.
• Six new alcohol-themed items added to a merchant in the Deadfire.
• New Drunken personality setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
New sidekick is out and she is the best one so far

6B90322E01968B346D5EC513A395096FBB22B88B

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100797-update-48-whats-next
Hello fellow adventurers,

The team at Obsidian is very proud of the reception that Deadfire is getting from the community, and we love reading and hearing your personal experiences as you explore the Deadfire for the first time. I would like to share what's in store for you in Pillars II over the next several months, including free content and new features!

The first large update for Deadfire will be launching in early June - Patch 1.1. This update contains hundreds of fixes and refinements based upon our internal testing and all the great feedback we have been getting.

Included in Patch 1.1 is a complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter and with new level scaling adjustments the game should be much more challenging. Let us know what you think on the forums - this will be an ongoing process based on community feedback. Secondly, for players who want to play the game for a second (or third!) time, we are adding an option to skip the introduction and jump straight into the second scene. This option will be available on the new game screen and will not require any Berath's Blessings points to activate. Lastly, the team is also adding new cosmetic options for player customization with the ability to change character appearance at any time.

While our programmers get Patch 1.1 ready, some of our artists and designers have had some time on their hands. They've put together the first of several free DLCs for Deadfire, "Rum Runner's Pack" which is coming out today. This pack features Mirke, a new Sidekick, along with a drunken personality idle animation and new alcoholic drinks. We will be releasing even more free DLC over the next few months that will add more items, ship upgrades, crew members, and appearance options. Look for the next free DLC to be available two weeks from now.

rumrunners-available-now.jpg

Just like the first Pillars of Eternity, the team is committed to support Deadfire with new features, content, bug fixes, and polish to make the game the best it can be. We are listening to your feedback on our forums, Reddit, social media, and user reviews - and the development team has many ideas for improvement, too. Through 2018, we have plans to add more quality of life changes to make the game better and better. For the mod community, we will be releasing documentation on the game data formats, and will be working on tools to help facilitate mods. Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran. As always, we are listening to feedback on what you would like to see in future updates.

Don't forget we have three expansive DLCs on the horizon. The first DLC, "Beast of Winter", is due to land this July. We will be showing off the new areas and content in the DLC soon!

It's been an amazing journey, and we aren't done yet. Thank you for your continued support for Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian. Now go forth, download "Rum Runner's Pack", and have a drink with your new friend Mirke.

Cheers,

Adam Brennecke

Executive Producer

The Rum Runner's Pack is available now, so go grab it here.

Reach out to us on our various social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, here on our forums) and let us know your comments, your critiques, and what you love about the game.

Did you miss our last update? Check it out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom