Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Before playing a new game, do you...

Before playing a new game, do you read the manual?

• Yes

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Only if it's in a genre I'm not familiar with.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters

the_shadow

Arcane
read the manual?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the time. Unless it's a physical copy, then i always read the shit before I play. Most games now a days don't have manuals.

Zlaja

Arcane
I miss the fact that games don't have paper manuals these days. One of my favorite things in the past used to be getting really REALLY exited about playing a new game and then going to the bathroom before starting to play it. And while doing so I would of course always grab the game manual and go through it while mother nature does her thing. These days I'm a lot more bored while sitting on the can.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For new games, no. You have to be braindead to not be able to play these new games. But when I play an old game from GOG, I usually check the manual first.

mbv123

Arbiter
If it's something that I need a manual for, then I just check it out parallel when I'm playing a game to familiarize myself with game concepts that I don't understand.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Manuals are for oldfags. Reading more than 250 characters, half of which are hashtags, is teh hard.

These days, the more millennial audience demands that all awesomeness be contained in the amount of buttans on a standard Dualshock 4 controller. Any super-complicated hardcore concepts that might confuse new players, like pressing triangle to reload or X to get over the crate, should be explained in an extremely tedious, and completely voice acted tutorial.o

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wtf is a manual?

I drive automatic in forza 7

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was playing pirated games all my life and those almost never came with a manual, also I got internet only in early 2000s so it was hard to check any information for myself, forcing me to learn as I play.

I never had any trouble figuring out things on my own even in games like Master of Orion, Cave Wars, Hearts of Iron or Academagia.

The only time I actually remembered using a manual was before playing Solium Infernum and thats because me and my friends were going to playing for the first time co-op and I wanted to have any advantage in order to win. If I was playing it solo I would just learned as I played.

So its baffling to me when an adult gaming journalist cant figure out how to progress trough first cave in Fallout.

DraQ

Arcane
read the manual?
Those are still a thing?

I was playing pirated games all my life and those almost never came with a manual, also I got internet only in early 2000s so it was hard to check any information for myself, forcing me to learn as I play.
Same story here initially, but later on legit copies increasingly became a thing here, and good manual can really set the tone, mood and provide background information.

Anyone remember's Homeworld 1's, for example?

Last edited:

Plisken

Learned
most games dont benefit nor require nor have a manual to read from. Do I really need a manual to find out a generic FPS has the exact same control scheme it will undoubtedly beat me over the head with prompts in the opening levels anyway? Even RPGs dont often require this stuff.

I think the era of games having unique manuals is pretty much long gone at this point.

Dux

Arcane
I ain't got time to read no goddamn manual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom