Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What I really want is a fucking "Restock" button, so I don't have to manually buy exact number of supplies missing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Whoever here first came up with an idea that counting quests is a useful measure for anything, needs to sign up as an organ donor and then immediately go and have a car crash. That's the only way he can be useful for humanity.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also, as a connoisseur of loading screens, i greatly appreciate the fact that there are like a dozen bounty-giving npcs all over the world and some can be found in their own specific houses

it boosts muh immershun a lot

Quillon

Arcane
So I got 2 faction ships remaining(agnes of many eyes & makabra are the names I think) on the map outside of bounties in my current game, does attacking them give bad faction rep or are they also fair game?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
also, as a connoisseur of loading screens, i greatly appreciate the fact that there are like a dozen bounty-giving npcs all over the world and some can be found in their own specific houses

it boosts muh immershun a lot

Well, this time the bounties are all on the map. In PoE1 they don't spawn until you find the bounty dude, and then they only spawn in batches. So you don't get a new batch until you kill the last one. Which is retarded too.

Having 6 bounty dispensers all over Neketaka was fucking infurating to me at first, but once I set up to an exploration phase, the way it worked out in practice is that just from random exploration I had like 15 heads in my inventory by the time I bothered to go back and hand off the bounties.

But yeah, it should have been 1-2 bounty dispensers and mobs all on the map from the start. The way it works right now just adds pointless busywork.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/174190332616/some-pillars-ttrpg-answers

Some Pillars TTRPG Answers

I received some feedback on the Pillars of Eternity tabletop rules that we sent out a few weeks ago and I wanted to address it for the benefit of others who may be interested. I won’t quote the person verbatim, but I will post what I hope is essentially in the spirit of their questions/concerns:

#1) The phased initiative system may increase tactical possibilities, but it will take longer to go through a round of combat.

I don’t think it will take longer. The reason for dividing the combat round into Immediate / Move / Act is to reduce the downtime between a single player’s participation and to more strictly segment the action economy. We (and you, eventually) need to test it, but the goal is to keep players more engaged and focused, ultimately making combat quicker and more enjoyable while retaining tactical depth.

#2) Why mark characters who change hexes during the Move phase? It seems overly complicated and really, what does it accomplish?

Slower characters move before faster characters in sequence, but the faster characters (moving “later”) are able to move through and/or Bump any character who has moved in the phase. The idea is that everyone who moves around in the Move phase is rushing for positions, but the faster characters (again, moving “later”) always have the final pick of where they end up.

A character who does not move or has not moved at the time another character is moving cannot be moved through or Bumped. Characters who have not moved are easily identified by the lack of a marker.

At the end of the Move phase, all markers are pulled.

#3) Have you considered the impact on modifiers that come from the bell curve produced by 2d10?

Yes. I chose 2d10 specifically because its distribution looks like this:

tumblr_inline_p96zhzbrhC1ri73pi_400.png

In my experience, the flat distribution of a d20 (or a d10 or d12, for that matter) means that target difficulties set at regular intervals generally depend more on the die roll than bonuses, especially if the bonus ranges tend to be marginal compared to the die range. And when the bonus ranges extend beyond the die range, the result of the roll is often a foregone conclusion (when compared to static difficulty targets, anyway).

Cf. the ability and casting rolls in Ars Magica. They use a single d10 + characteristic + ability or d10 + Stamina + Form + Technique. Abilities advance at 1/5th rate compared to Arts in AM5. Also, all abilities and Arts progress on a triangular scale, meaning that even if abilities and Arts advanced at the same rate, the fact that you add two Arts to the casting roll usually guarantees a higher total because XP is spent more efficiently across two things on a triangular scale.

The result of all of this is that with ability Ease Factors increasing by 3, the die roll typically has more of an impact on success than how much a character has invested in the skill. Because stressed die rolls “explode” (roll a d10 again) it’s actually not hard to hit even pretty high Ease Factors. Compare this to casting rolls in Ars Magica, where – barring a botch – the chance of success is usually easy to predict and the only question is how much Penetration is going to be generated.

I want the common check die rolls to have a predictable middle that allows for high and low die values even if they’re rare. I want high target difficulties to be hard to achieve through the die roll, meaning that they depend more heavily on the bonuses being generated. I believe that 2d10 will do a better job of this than d10, d20, or d100.

#4) Have you considered a d100 range?

Yes, but I’ve both run games using a d100 range (Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer) and created my own homebrew system that was d100-based. CoC isn’t a particularly tactical game, but my homebrew system was. Having to do addition and subtraction on a d100 roll made things much slower than any other basic die mechanic I’ve used.

I understand WFRP uses d100. That’s fine for them. 4th Edition is coming out in a month and it also uses d100. d100 does not accomplish what I want the core die mechanic to accomplish for this game. Sorry.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having to do addition and subtraction on a d100 roll made things much slower than any other basic die mechanic I’ve used.

mods to rolls in d100 systems are almost always increments of 10

how the fuck is that supposed to be so very much slower than adding/subtracting mods within a range of 1-10

Shadenuat

Arcane
But yeah, it should have been 1-2 bounty dispensers and mobs all on the map from the start. The way it works right now just adds pointless busywork.
It would have been cool like a mercenary/bounty hunters guild/island with competition you rise in ranks and fame and last bounty is against another best bounty hunting party whatever

well 2 words
Frost Seeker
Split Arrow
That's 4 words
but 2 if you read only first 2

Dragons's Dowry (a legendary gun you can JUST BUY AT THE START OF THE GAME LOL) + fire resistant gear is also nifty

Tekehu is a beast too though, simply of the fact being a druid and having some good nukes. Eder fighter/rogue is also very powerful. But Maia is probably most powerful single target DPS companion in the game.

Ability wise Rangers are fucking boring (where are my minsc with rage, my beastmaster, my stalker with spells?) but mechanically they do truckloads of damage, absurd if you use correct equipment even.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyway, anybody else noticed that Maia is arguably the only companion in both games that can potentially outperform custom adventurers?

She actually has a decent attribute spread (Might 14 , Dex 15, Per 17 is solid for ranged damage dealer), her unique subclass is fucking amazing (extra range on all the guns and the guns can cause interruption) and she's got a damn nice unique armor(reduces reload time).

Not that I'm complaining but I kind of wonder what's up with that, given storyline companions are usually awfully optimized.
I did not test Maia much, but I did give her the Frost bow that shoots 3-4 projectiles and she did good work. I did not realize she gained interruption, which sounds pretty damn good. Once the difficulty is fixed, I may run a party with her and Teheku.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Gaming in 2018 on highest difficulty, ''underleveled'' and ''diverse'' encounters, by yours truly:lol::lol::lol:

This game reminds me of another gem I played last year

This is what we resumed to 25 years later, this is what we call gaming today:lol::lol:

I'll post more if someone wants, I eradicated almost everything on the map at level 7-8, the one that I couldn't properly do it was Nemnok and the Vampires

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That 360p aesthetic. I don't think he's saying combat is easy, but that he's using the same tactic on each encounter. 2 Empowered Minoletta's, that bubble thing, etc. I was saying this is the case since the beta, PoE1 was like this as well, so nothing new.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
It's so funny seeing Obsitards trying to play down the flop that this game is, truly hilarious. Non existent AI on highest difficulty, no reactivity, garbage writing, horrendous encounters and let's remind ourselves that the game barely reaches 8k players on steam:lol:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
OK, this confirms Xoti is a white trash hillbilly high on crack.

After we found the son of Eder's lover dead on a ship, they wen't into banter and she breaks out "Pity it wasn't your son, you'd be a good father to him."

That's not good writing, that's excellent writing. Boys, we're reached the incline peak, take a bow Obsidian.

IMG_4552-e1406652368608.jpg

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
That 360p aesthetic. I don't think he's saying combat is easy, but that he's using the same tactic on each encounter. 2 Empowered Minoletta's, that bubble thing, etc. I was saying this is the case since the beta, PoE1 was like this as well, so nothing new.

But I am saying the combat is easy, everything is viable, you can go butt naked in fights and you still end up smashing your face on the keyboard and end up victorious, it's ridiculous. Also the AI is non existent or at the moment just broken, there's way too many instances when the AI just freezes out like it's trying to process what target to hit next, I don't understand why they released the game in this state. It feels like I'm playing an alpha build in terms of balance and AI optimization, it's pathetic that this is all you can get in this day and age, regressing in almost every department but graphics.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, then nothing new. They themselves admitted they didn't have time to balance the difficulty. I thought you were showing how everything can be beaten by only using 1 tactic. Which is also true and it was one of the major things that made PoE1 so boring and tedious to play.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Heh, 2 casters

Wait a sec I find some random high levels

nukeynuke.jpg

Level 6 Transmuter, MIG/PER/INT

Thinking of abandoning this playthrough (or putting tape over part of monitor that has empower button to not see it)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
everything is viable

working as intended :balance:

(or putting tape over part of monitor that has empower button to not see it)

tbh i dont use it at all except for resource refreshing (although i havent done that for the last 5 or something levels i'm p sure) and i think i'm better off for it

Prime Junta

Can't be arsed to check if it was already referenced here, but Josh said in the Gamasutra stream the other day that there will be a massive bump in difficulty to both Veteran and PotD in the upcoming balance patch.

He also said that he knew it was too easy but didn't prioritise it for release because he thought quest-breaking bugs are worse, and that had it been too hard he probably would have reprioritised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom