Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Is Deadfire better than PoE?

which is better?

• Total voters

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's been a week and a bunch of people have beaten Deadfire, so let's do an exit poll. We'll be generous to PoE here and compare its fully patched, post WM expansion state because vanilla would probably lose by a wide margin.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can you select two choices in this poll? You're asking to be sabotaged with nonsensical responses.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, I'm asking you to vote. Number of votes per user was carefully considered.

Matticus

Educated
PoE1 was better at launch due to the harder difficulty and because it had more bugs, but I have no doubt they can remedy this over time with the sequel

DexRiwus

Novice
POE2 has dumbed down combat system of previous game, that somehow ended up more uneven in terms of difficulty (mostly too easy) than POE1. +POE1

Main story in Deadfire is worse- it is three quests long nonsense, without any payoff (spoilers: there is no cool bossfight, you die instantly if you try to pick one with Eothas). Gods with cool designs building up your confrontation with Eothas and it ends in you going "Dude you are Wrong/Right/RightbutgivepeoplesomethingtomakethemstrongerObviousBestChoiceHere/KillEveryone" and he either goes 'Dude, you are right" or "Dude, you are wrong". Yeah, main story in POE1 is also garbage, but it has more content and variety (and bossfight). +POE1

In POE1 you have: Eder (Humor), Grieving Mother (Drama), Durance (Religious Lore), Kana (Geographical Lore), Aloth (Garbage), Pallegina (...). First three are well developed character (Eder's quest goes nowhere though), others suck but there is reason behind them existing.
In POE2 we have Serafen (Humor), Eder (Humor), Tekehu (Humor), Aloth (Garbage), Palegina (Why?), Xoti (Female Eder). Most of your companions have the same personality traits and despise violent behavior and unlike Tyranny or AP (where negative rep with teammates gave some bonuses) you get only negatives if companions hate you, leading up to them leaving your party. So be a good boy and don't play excessively violent, anti-religious asshole or you will lose 4-th of the game's content. +POE1

Ui and Graphics are way better in POE2. +POE2

Writing is the same shit, but most of the annoying lore is hidden behind hyperlinks. Player replies sound worse in Deadire, but there are more of them and they actually lead to different outcomes. Sidequest are better, due to them being more complex and having wide variety of solution. +POE2

Factions. Yeah, those are obviously better in POE2, because the whole game revolves around them. Pirates, Valian Traders (which would be the best faction by default, because their leader is the only one who supports long-term development of science and education, so Devs decide that they are slave-traders to make them unattractive to player without putting any effort into doing so), Deadfire traders (Military fanatics), Huana (So these have no redeeming qualities and they have cast system, where one asshole decides whether the newborns life will be shit for the rest of his life or not, with promise of rebirth in higher cast). Pirates have the best quests (both subfactions), Valians and Huanas are fine in this regard, but i do not remember a single Deadfire Trader's quest and i have done them all. Also faction quests cross with each other in interesting conflicting ways. +POE2

I am not counting voice acting as Pro for POE2 because it sucks.

I like POE1 better to be honest- it was first Obsidian CRPG project with quite low budged and did well for what it was. POE2 had way more resources, but, arguably, ended up only slightly better than POE1.

Orbito Sol

Literate
PoE 2 absolutely. It feels a lot more alive and immersive than the first game and the pacing was great compared to the first one.

I also liked the hyperlink system because it helped giving a lot of quick context to the player on the fly, unlike the first one where you really have to sift through those piles of text from the cyclopedia, or rely on exposition dumps from characters (which felt off to me). In the second one they assume your character already know all that information and that's alright by me.

Combat is way easier of course... But at least it's enjoyable, unlike the mess in the first one. That's probably just the casual in me speaking, though.

Game is also a lot more light-hearted than the first one and that's a personal plus. I'm a simple man, I enjoy adventuring with my pals Eder, Xoti and Serafen.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
YES! They just need to rebalance all combat encounters for PotD.

DexRiwus

Novice
Neatly avoided that which makes rpg rpg. Quests, with stats and skill checks. Where POE1 had none, POE2 has some.
The very first quest of finding a crew lets you get a dude by:
stealing a key
lockpciking the door with skill or buying shit from vendor
killing the guard
buying him free, paying less if doing anothe quests

And if it had a civil statcheck it would blow all quests in POE1 out of the water...........

Player replies sound worse in Deadire, but there are more of them and they actually lead to different outcomes. Sidequest are better, due to them being more complex and having wide variety of solution. +POE2

Reading around it seems like shitting on PoE 2 is the flavor of the month here, but honestly I'm liking it WAY more than PoE 1, which after an early honey moon based mostly on nostalgia turned out to be utterly mediocre.

My main problems with the sequel so far are the difficulty curve dropping hard in the late game (which can be easily addressed) and a mild sense of annoyance for having every single male party member flirting on me at every chance.
( Yeah, I get it Obsidian, you are progressive as buttfuck, but Jesus Christ, tune it down a notch).

Also, I'm actually enjoying the voice acting, for the most part. Fuck the whine about it, it's a noticeable quality of life improvement.
Can't complain about the game being less verbose than the previous one, either .
Oh, and I really don't miss these shitty and useless "backers' stories" .

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've only started PoE2 to see how it rolls. It doesn't give me 60 fps on GeForce 980Ti (might not be optimized for 4k) which is sad. Also the first fight with a pirate ended after a second, I didn't understand what happened. Looked like a bug to me. Everyone says it's buggy so I stopped for now, maybe will wait till there's a good patch. General consensus is it's much better so I'm optimistic. Still I played and completed PoE1 on release and even though there were all kinds of problems I didn't notice any serious bugs. Here's the difference for you.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I would say that Deadfire is significantly better in a lot of areas but has severe flaws in a number of others.

Overall the companions and the main story is better in PoE1 though (hard to imagine as that may be) so if that is important to you then you probably prefer PoE1.

Deadfire on the other hand has better factions and most importantly much better quest design. A number of quests are really good in how they provide different ways to approach them (deadlight, arkemyr, Cockspur, vailian family feud) which is a huge plus for me and makes me prefer Deadfire to PoE1.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In POE1 you have: Eder (Humor), Grieving Mother (Drama), Durance (Religious Lore), Kana (Geographical Lore), Aloth (Garbage), Pallegina (...). First three are well developed character (Eder's quest goes nowhere though), others suck but there is reason behind them existing.
In POE2 we have Serafen (Humor), Eder (Humor), Tekehu (Humor), Aloth (Garbage), Palegina (Why?), Xoti (Female Eder). Most of your companions have the same personality traits and despise violent behavior and unlike Tyranny or AP (where negative rep with teammates gave some bonuses) you get only negatives if companions hate you, leading up to them leaving your party. So be a good boy and don't play excessively violent, anti-religious asshole or you will lose 4-th of the game's content. +POE1

:lol: Wow, so much C&C. And makes you think too! What if violence is bad?

Best RPG since POE!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Deadfire will be the better game after 6 months of patches without a shadow of a doubt. Just pretend they delayed the release date until 2019 and you'll be alright.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm just honestly gonna wait for patches and such before buying.

The improvements to the original game after the White March I & II were overwhelming. I'm gonna assume the same here.

I've only started PoE2 to see how it rolls. It doesn't give me 60 fps on GeForce 980Ti (might not be optimized for 4k)
Performances wise the game seems to be extremely uneven for me.
There are times where I'm closing 144 fps without too many issues, and times where it struggles to stay above 30 fps for no apparent reason.
Also, I suspect some sort of memory leak in action, since performances are apparently degrading across the hours and closing and restarting can often give you a significant boost.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I am not able to reply or vote because there is no point in getting PoE II now, when we can expect 3 DLC in 6 months plus tons of bug fixes and improvements. You have to be seriously bored with your life and possibly depressed to suffer playing release PoE II, or any obsidian game at release for that matter.

Will give you my opinion when the game is actually finished and not at an early beta state.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Tyranny was fine on release, at least on technical side. It would benefit from better difficulty balancing (highest difficulty starts really great but then you don't even have to use all the tools available to you, just roll over everyone) and later they've added some new features like locking skills out of autoleveling. But I enjoyed it on release.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It feels better than PoE1 but if you ask me to make a list of what makes it better than PoE1 I will fail to make one and just go duuuuh muh feelings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom