Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Your opinion on the game is worthless

This coming from a guy who bitched that no one is attacking him and it turned out he just picked pacifist quest solution. :lol:
It is a poor design mate,it is cool to have a few optional fights that you could talk around it. But not every single boss. You couldn't even pass the talky check at the archmage estate,don't know how you managed to get outwitted by an imp. That level have like 5% chance of not doing it pacifistic. Also i killed the rooftop construct,therefore it is not a pacifistic run :P.

PS: At least you are a good sport when it come down to throwing jabs :lol:.

I got inside through a bathhouse caves, so I started at the lab going up. Good luck fighting 2 or 3 constructs simultaneously, fresh off the boat with starter weapons. By the time I got to the imp that has a skill check I already cleaned up the whole place anyway.
Yeah a few constructs at lower lever are pretty fun. I too cleaned that "Dungeon" but reloaded to try out the rooftop way,more thieving style that way. Did you do the vampire island on second playthrough,or are you still scared?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
FreeKaner, is that an endorsement of Tyranny? It was crushingly boring when I played it at release, but the myriad of patches might've fixed some stuff.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
FreeKaner, is that an endorsement of Tyranny? It was crushingly boring when I played it at release, but the myriad of patches might've fixed some stuff.

The tone and the writing didn't change, but its quest structure is p. interesting overall due how open-ended it is. I would recommend only as a semi-serious game about playing the bureaucrat of a conquering army in fantasy antiquity, with a lot of agency on how to proceed. If that particular shtick doesn't appeal to you I wouldn't, game needs some premeditated personal investment to care about it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sacred82
To anyone living on the sea, which - in fact - i am, so i actually know what i am talking about, you sound like a laughable deranged idiot.
You would get laughed at all day if you ever tried to talk that idiotic nonsense about fishing or the sea in general.

Besides that your whole rhetoric is an imbecilic shifting from idiotic goal post to idiotic goal post, either which you know nothing about.

Thanks, it's good to know you're one of a tribe of primiitive island-bound people making a living fishing from 2 man canoes. That explains things.

That just explains how dumb, uneducated and moronic you are. A shining example of Dunning Kruger.

2 man canoes is all they have, - only in your malfunctioning shit of a brain.
Might wanna google various types of ships used by natives in Pacific, before you open that asshole in your face again.
And find me where in the game is that established, either.

And no, the bad weather doesnt last a "single day" which is an idiotic strawman produced by your idiotic dumb brain, but
- it dont last long enough to make people starve
back up your strawman by telling us how long it takes to make people starve, and why a period of weather can impossibly hold up for that long.

There is no strawman argument in anything i wrote, imbecile.
As to your moronic dumb question, which for reasons of general stupidity you cannot figure out for yourself:

It takes quite some time to make people starve, because people store food.
Because - people dont just have food for that day or the next meal - and then starve.
Which is how you would "handle things" and kill yourself, because you are that much of an imbecile.

In any kind of civilization, especially more advanced island civilization like the one in the game, people store food. Thats what enables a civilization - to be a civilization.
I think thats taught in 3rd of fourth grade.

- in fact people go fishing in bad weather all the time. Thats the usual working day for a fisherman.
gee wiz, the Aumaua'll just put on their raincoats and boots and start up their engines, of course
Boots and raincoats are modern technology - and you cannot fish without combustion engines. Only on codex.

Why use combustion engines when you have magic, eh?

EH?

CRETINOUS BRAINDEAD IMBECILE.

- not every bad weather is the same
o rly, you're a fountain of wisdom
Yes, really. And you needed to be told that.

- archipelagos - islands- provide protection from the worst of it
islands provide protection for very small boats out at sea. I want an island for a protector.
Is that an attempt at a reply or just you making an example of a ludicrous dumbfuck of yourself?
Thats already achieved. Youre just hammering it in now.

- you can catch fish from the shore you ludicrous laughable dimwit
People just need to pull out their fishing rods and wade into ankle deep water and the fish can't wait to be hauled ashore, all the while storms are raging. Can you please pinpoint the location of your island of madmen on a map for me to laugh at it?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, thats right. You can actually catch fish even in a storm.
And you dont need to wet your ankles miss.
You can stand on the fucking shore, you dumb low cretin. And you dont even need fishing rods either. (head explodes, i know...)

Unless those storms in your head are so catastrophic and long lasting they would wipe out everything.
In which case... there wouldnt be any island civilizations anywhere in this world or any other.

I'll spell it out for you, you island-dwelling crazy goof:
in an organized society, the fishing activity - certainly the seagoing fishing activity - can be regulated, just like the hunting in a landbound tribe can be regulated. It's a communal activity, and absence without leave can be punished.
Punished worse then starving to death?
So they will regulate themselves to death?

You sad, degenerate, dumb cretin.

surprisingly enough, people can get sweat pretty much anywhere on their skin. Plz tell me, Mr island dwelling fish inspector cum neuroscientist, how this can not occur due to any shifts in a person's emotional state. You have 30 seconds before you're being eliminated for being a waste of resources.
It can occur due to various shifts in personal emotional state as well because of many other factors, such as say.. oh i dont know... running. Or a hot day. Which are impossible to guess at first look.
- And you need to be told this -
Which was my point, along the fact that dumb cliché is so overused in movies and literature - which is what makes it a cliché, only you are such a complete imbecile thats unfathomable for you.

bwahaha, people are unable to 'flare', that is, make their nostrils expand and collaps rapidly. I'm already doing it in response to your bullshit. Don't talk about human anatomy anymore unless you want to embarass yourself further.
Yeah i bet you do. Mind making a video of you rapidly expanding and collapsing your nostrils? Thats going to make you look exactly like what you write makes you look.

And you skipped over replying what does that have to do with other descriptions you mentioned, just to grasp for another goal post that hit you over the head.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
That just explains how dumb, uneducated and moronic you are. A shining example of Dunning Kruger.

2 man canoes is all they have, - only in your malfunctioning shit of a brain.
Might wanna google various types of ships used by natives in Pacific, before you open that asshole in your face again.
And find me where in the game is that established, either.

you might want to expand your vocabulary before getting your veins ready to burst, shithead.

As to what's established in the game - it's that there are food shortages. Period. Your retarded argument is that there can't possibly ever be a shortage of food wherever there's water.

There is no strawman argument in anything i wrote, imbecile.
As to your moronic dumb question, which for reasons of general stupidity you cannot figure out for yourself:

It takes quite some time to make people starve, because people store food.
Because - people dont just have food for that day or the next meal - and then starve.
Which is how you would "handle things" and kill yourself, because you are that much of an imbecile.

In any kind of civilization, especially more advanced island civilization like the one in the game, people story food. Thats what enables a civilization - to be a civilization.
I think thats taught in 3rd of fourth grade.

Because food stores cannot be depleted lollercakez. That's why there never was any famine since the dawn of civilization, because all those granaries and larders magically refilled all the time. And if they didn't, people just had to wade a few meters from the shore to have fish jump into their arms, or a few meters into a forest to have deer sacrifice themselves at their feet.

:avatard:

Why use combustion engines when you have magic, eh?

EH?

CRETINOUS BRAINDEAD IMBECILE?

Y U NO EAT WEN U GOT DA MAGIX?!!

People can't starve because magic. Well, at least we've hereby plumbed the depths of your logical thinking.

Yes, really. And you needed to be told that.

You certainly are a fountain of something. :shitandpiss:

- archipelagos - islands- provide protection from the worst of it
islands provide protection for very small boats out at sea. I want an island for a protector.
Is that an attempt at a reply or just you making an example of a ludicrous dumbfuck of yourself?
Thats already achieved. Youre just hammering it in now.

what can change the nature of your shitposting? Admitting that half of your arguments are retarded bullshit would help.

- you can catch fish from the shore you ludicrous laughable dimwit
People just need to pull out their fishing rods and wade into ankle deep water and the fish can't wait to be hauled ashore, all the while storms are raging. Can you please pinpoint the location of your island of madmen on a map for me to laugh at it?
Yes, thats right. You can actually catch fish even in a storm.
And you dont need to wet your ankles miss.
You can stand on the fucking shore, you dumb low cretin. And you dont even need fishing rods either. (head explodes, i know...)

Unless those storms in your head are so catastrophic and long lasting they would wipe out everything.
In which case... there wouldnt be any island civilizations anywhere in this world or any other.

Storms either flatten everything there is on an island, or they don't occur at all. Are you sure you've even left your room at the closed ward during the last 20 years?

Shore fishing with nets may or may not work well enough in any location at any time to feed a community of unknown size. But in your insanity, you've already worked out the specifics of the animal populations in Eora.

I'll spell it out for you, you island-dwelling crazy goof:
in an organized society, the fishing activity - certainly the seagoing fishing activity - can be regulated, just like the hunting in a landbound tribe can be regulated. It's a communal activity, and absence without leave can be punished.
Punished worse then starving to death?
So they will regulate themselves to death?

You sad, degenerate, dumb cretin.

Ok, your degenerated brain has already lost track of what we were originally arguing about, so let me rehash:

certain individuals unfortunately had to croak in times of food shortage. Not the whole community, fuckwit. And yes, people can and in many cases will prefer the punishment further down the road (dying of starvation if the food stores keep on getting depleted) vs. immediate punishment (corporal punishment for going against the community's rules).

It can occur due to various shifts in personal emotional state as well because of many other factors, such as say.. oh i dont know... running. Or a hot day. Which are impossible to guess at first look.
- And you need to be told this -
Which was my point, along the fact that dumb cliché is so overused in movies and literature - which is what makes it a cliché, only you are such a complete imbecile thats unfathomable for you.

"People sweating out of fear and anxiety are impossible for me to recognize due to my severe autism. Maybe they're just winded from a long run, how am I supposed to know? Plz make sure your games are more inclusive to people with my disability in the future."

I'll gladly forward your request to Josh via twitter.

Yeah i bet you do. Mind making a video of you rapidly expanding and collapsing your nostrils? Thats going to make you look exactly like what you write makes you look.

Hey, someone already did that. Probably someone who ran into your kind of retards before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JzOOJ8CR9o

Mind you, if people are pissed off, the motion may not be as slow and regular as in this video. It's an example. /autism warning

And you skipped over replying what does that have to do with other descriptions you mentioned, just to grasp for another goal post that hit you over the head.

"A silence falls over the room"

coincedence? I think not!

:philosoraptor:

Even in humans, flaring nostrils could be a sign of anger or aggression, like I said. Primates, e.g. gorillas, also screw up their noses in similar situations. Aumaua are physically larger than the other kith, basically a gorilla to bunch of chimpanzees. It's probably meant to look impressive.

'Meant to look' - do you recognize the cognitive dissonance between behaviour you are expecting here because that's how you'd act or what you'd like to see in a ficitional character, and the intentions the writer had? Probably not.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Game still has bland, edgy for edgy sake writing on a barebones fantasy setting that manages to be very bland despite all edgyness, you still want to get all companions and light them on fire inside burning tires but the reactivity is indeed impressive, it surpasses MotB on it, you can betray all factions on many ways and the fun is to plan how to be the worst possible asshole for everyone. I confess I had alot of fun when I convinced the rebels I was a good guy and having all the leadership of the rebels on a meeting where I promptly betrayed them all by the end of act 1, many RPGs wouldn't allow you to do this, you can betray not only all factions but on different stages of the main quest and the game must be commended by that.

It only misses good character progression, writing and combat, you know, the other 75% that makes a good RPG but in terms of reactivity, it is really great.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, anybody else noticed that Maia is arguably the only companion in both games that can potentially outperform custom adventurers?

She actually has a decent attribute spread (Might 14 , Dex 15, Per 17 is solid for ranged damage dealer), her unique subclass is fucking amazing (extra range on all the guns and the guns can cause interruption) and she's got a damn nice unique armor(reduces reload time).

Not that I'm complaining but I kind of wonder what's up with that, given storyline companions are usually awfully optimized.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's on purpose to offset calloused handjobs.

In other news, I've lost 10-20k and have no memory how. It can't be just wages, I've rested maybe 2-3 times while on land. Can't remember buying anything expensive. Huh...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

In other news, I've lost 10-20k and have no memory how. It can't be just wages, I've rested maybe 2-3 times while on land. Can't remember buying anything expensive. Huh...
You got fucked by the wage bug. The game decides to pay like 200 wages in a second wasting all your money. You just have to reload when you see the wage messages cluttering the right side of the screen.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Check your statements. Freeze your credit cards immediately.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Anyway, anybody else noticed that Maia is arguably the only companion in both games that can potentially outperform custom adventurers?

She actually has a decent attribute spread (Might 14 , Dex 15, Per 17 is solid for ranged damage dealer), her unique subclass is fucking amazing (extra range on all the guns and the guns can cause interruption) and she's got a damn nice unique armor(reduces reload time).

Not that I'm complaining but I kind of wonder what's up with that, given storyline companions are usually awfully optimized.

I wish I'd made her a scout. The animal companion skills all seem trash.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

I think it's less of a deliberate thing and more of an alignment between how they designed her as a character and how the mechanical implementation of that character (long range sniper = high perception, some dex, long range) happened to have access to the some of the best stats and tools in the game.

Not that it should matter, but this was also the case with a lot of BG 2 companions

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

Ranger seems like the most uninspired class in the game right now. All their skills seem so bland.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Ranger seems like the most uninspired class in the game right now. All their skills seem so bland.

Yeah, Scout works out great though. Ranger passives+Rogue actives have great synergy.

frajaq

Erudite

Yeah they weren't particularly interesting in PoE 1 either
It's weird that the one class with combat pets gets shafted considering Obsidian fucking looooooves pets everywhere in the game
And it's not like you have to search TOO hard in other games (can even be other genres) for cool/interesting/satisfying abilities to get inspired

Malpercio

Arcane
Hehe Josh is shocked that people missed the combat speed meter
Was that in the beta?

Having a ship be your "fortress" was a smart idea. In PoE 1, having to travel for two days simply because a messenger had arrived at Caed Nua or because I wanted to modify my party was really annoying.
Yeah, but too bad the ship sucks. Even the most expensive one ends up being just the same two screens. There is so much they could have done with it and the crew-recruitment aspect.

Trashos

Arcane
It's flawed don't get me wrong, but it's better than first game. I also don't mind the short main story because I think Obsidian writers just shit the bed when they want to make major overarching philosophical and theological narratives. New Vegas' main story was short too, especially if you went for House ending, there was what 4 quests total? It was also similarly paced and gated.

The House arc, which is the one I usually go for, is technically 8 quests long. This number excludes the quests that are involved in getting to Vegas. One of House's quests is dealing with the Boomers, which is a set of quests on its own. And if one befriends the BoS as part of the process, that's another set of quests too, although technically not required.

I think this is short only compared to the total amount of content in New Vegas, which is huge (my near-completionist playthroughs are 150h long).

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.
It's a metaphor of real life. Often someone of great authority and prestige turns out to be quite a mediocre guy when you get to see him in person and get an idea about his actual qualities.
Charisma is all about deception. When you can deceive the retards and the non-retards into believing in you, you can take the world. For American politics at least (the only area I follow), everybody is putting up a front. Easy to identify the fuckers who are all appearances. The intellectual politicians write and speak independently, demonstrating actual thoughts that make sense.

Orcs, as much as I hate to admit it, are superior damage dealers. They have the natural brutish strength that allows them to excel in combat. The orc is many sizes larger and stronger than the human or the elf. To watch an orc warrior rend a troll in two curdles the blood. Thankfully, they lack the more enterprising traits the civilized races possess. Their natural might lends success in the physical arenas, sure, but their over reliance on their own strength hinders their abilities to plan ahead, to work towards inter-tribal diplomacy, and to develop arts and technology. A powerful race to be sure, but crude. If the Crown wishes, we could harness their might as warriors and laborers. But they are suitable for little else.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The House arc, which is the one I usually go for, is technically 8 quests long. This number excludes the quests that are involved in getting to Vegas. One of House's quests is dealing with the Boomers, which is a set of quests on its own. And if one befriends the BoS as part of the process, that's another set of quests too, although technically not required.

I think this is short only compared to the total amount of content in New Vegas, which is huge (my near-completionist playthroughs are 150h long).

Dealing with boomers is same thing regardless of which faction you choose, in fact you can just go to boomers without ever talking to House. That is a strength of New Vegas, and I think it would be misfitting to say that its main quest is weak because it only has handful of quests in a 100h+ long game.

I have not finished Deadfire, I didn't even get to Neketaka. However on its own the main quest just being 4 quests does not mean much.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I think the most important question to ask is why bother critiquing a 40+ hour game without even spending an hour with it. Would one do it for the social perks? Maybe the intellectual aspects?

You know, as much as I would love speaking with every one of you, I doubt I will have the fortune of meeting any of you.

So I've gotta say call me a newfag. Anything else wouldn't make any sense!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom