Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Also, lol at the guy who said he still played Akalabeth. Akalabeth has aged like absolute garbage in almost any way I can think of, and it is far surpassed by games that came later.
Let me guess: it reminds you of your great experience with Shin Megami Tensei, where you expected social links and boys kissing other boys but instead got buttblasted by demons less than one hour into the game.

Old Hans

Arcane
"why bother going through all the trouble to set up the emulator if I may not even like the games?"

Why bother installing so many Skyrim mods when you won't play more than an hour before you hit uninstall.exe?

installing all the mods is like it's own fun activity, even if at the end the day it is still the exact same game, except now you have to eat your apples or you will die from the special new huger mechanics mod authored by D4ARk_Elf_66

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Let me guess: it reminds you of your great experience with Shin Megami Tensei, where you expected social links and boys kissing other boys but instead got buttblasted by demons less than one hour into the game.

What? I loved Shin Megami Tensei, one of the few JRPGs I've played that doesn't make me cringe. Akalabeth, by comparison, was an awful game where the only challenge were literally the gremlins. Don't get so touchy I called the game "shit" when that's what it is: old, outdated shit.

Why bother installing so many Skyrim mods when you won't play more than an hour before you hit uninstall.exe?

Installing mods before you play a game is something only a retard would do. You are expected to install them after having playing the game and knowing what you face.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I'm not really a videogame devourer, so to speak. Since that post,, I have played and beaten:

- Fallout
- Fallout 2
- Baldur's Gate
- Arcanum
- Icewind Dale
- Deus Ex
- And The Witcher 1...

Somehow, a lot of people with a fraction of my spare time manage to play twice or thrice as many games in that span of time.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Wizardries [...] aged extremly well

ALSO this. I gave the SNES version of Wizardry 1 a spin but dropped it because I was busy playing other stuff. However, I was surprised at how addicting it was, completely unlike Akalabeth (which I wanted to drop very early on once I noticed how simple and repetitive the game was, i.e. enter dungeon -> monster -> return to Lord British -> return to dungeon -> kill slightly stronger monster -> repeat).

mushaden

Scholar
I keep reading codexians that played Dragons Dogma, Blackguards, Expeditions:whatever, Legends of Eisenwald, Dark Souls, Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, shadowrrun, etc etc etc, but when it comes to the true classics (Ultima IV-VII; Might and Magic 2; Wizardy 6/7; Wasteland; Darklands; Betrayal at Krondor; Realms of Arkania II; Pools of Darkness; Dungeon Master etc etc) they make poker face.

Why?

PS: nothing wrong in playing the new generation games, but, in my little experience, if you didnt play the classics, you are losing the true magic . And I am a newfag, there isn't a nostalgic argument here.

PS2: yeah, my english sucks.

Ultima - tried 7, was nauseating and I didn't even get to the infamous combat. Tried Underworld and really enjoyed it (first one) but didn't finish it as I am known to do when games aren't turn based. I may as well try 4 but I'm not in a rush to.
Might and Magic 2 - tried 3 and didn't like how you had to go to fountains to get bonuses (at least I did to proceed at one point) like in HoMM
Wizardry 6/7 - Finished 7 and found it charming, though really tedious at times. Tried 6 but I wasn't hardcore enough to map it, but I may try again someday because I think playing a party through 6-8 would be fun
Wasteland - have not tried. Scared off by bugs I've read about.
Darklands - have not tried. Mean to play it but the real time combat has deterred me from doing so thus far
Betrayal at Krondor - tried and liked, but put it down. I mean to play through this one soon, although the combat seems way too dated for me
Realms of Arkania - tried the first one HD and did not enjoy. The game seemed to be just traveling to different spots on the map. Played the original RoA 2 and I was getting into it, but I gave it up after getting tired of Lowangen. Combat sucked and leveling up seemed pointless (i.e. felt like nothing changed). I may try RoA 2 HD when I can get it on sale.
Pools of Darkness - have not tried. I might enjoy it.
Dungeon master - haven't tried, big reason being that it's realtime.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright, after playing a bit more of World of Xeen, NOW I understand the topic title.

Seriously guys, why the fuck don't you play more classics? dosbox isn't that hard to use.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What? I loved Shin Megami Tensei, one of the few JRPGs I've played that doesn't make me cringe.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/sigourn.21476/&page=2#profile-post-21079
Holy shit, congrats Shin Megami Tensei, I've never quit a game because of high encounter rates before.

Akalabeth, by comparison, was an awful game where the only challenge were literally the gremlins. Don't get so touchy I called the game "shit" when that's what it is: old, outdated shit.
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded. It's a videogame, meant to be fun.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Often what classics lack in terms of mechanical depth or richness of content, they make up with charm and nostalgia. I sometimes like to pick up Champions of Krynn, Eye of Beholder or Bard's Tale due to the nostalgia factor, but to be honest I find them lacking in many respects. I haven't tried the old M&M or Wizardry games, so I can't really comment on how well they hold up to critical inspection. Wizardry 6 & 7 are both just too repetitive for my taste, although I really wish I had played them back in the day.

Black Angel

Arcane
With any modern game, you buy it, wait for it to finish downloading (either downloading everything if you buy digital version or the rest of the components online if you buy physical disk version, and if you're just a tad bit late, wait for it to download day 1 patch(es)), install it, and play.
FTFY.

And if by 'modern', you meant the 90s RPGs in comparison to the classics mentioned by OP, then your statement isn't entirely accurate considering you still have to install some mods like bugfixes, compatibility patches, hi-res patches, etc etc, and then adjust resolutions to your liking if it isn't already, of which I don't really see the difference with trying to setup DOSBOX to play much older 70s-80s RPGs then.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I keep reading codexians that played Dragons Dogma, Blackguards, Expeditions:whatever, Legends of Eisenwald, Dark Souls, Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, shadowrrun, etc etc etc, but when it comes to the true classics (Ultima IV-VII; Might and Magic 2; Wizardy 6/7; Wasteland; Darklands; Betrayal at Krondor; Realms of Arkania II; Pools of Darkness; Dungeon Master etc etc) they make poker face.

Why?

PS: nothing wrong in playing the new generation games, but, in my little experience, if you didnt play the classics, you are losing the true magic . And I am a newfag, there isn't a nostalgic argument here.

PS2: yeah, my english sucks.

Ultima - tried 7, was nauseating and I didn't even get to the infamous combat. Tried Underworld and really enjoyed it (first one) but didn't finish it as I am known to do when games aren't turn based. I may as well try 4 but I'm not in a rush to.
Might and Magic 2 - tried 3 and didn't like how you had to go to fountains to get bonuses (at least I did to proceed at one point) like in HoMM
Wizardry 6/7 - Finished 7 and found it charming, though really tedious at times. Tried 6 but I wasn't hardcore enough to map it, but I may try again someday because I think playing a party through 6-8 would be fun
Wasteland - have not tried. Scared off by bugs I've read about.
Darklands - have not tried. Mean to play it but the real time combat has deterred me from doing so thus far
Betrayal at Krondor - tried and liked, but put it down. I mean to play through this one soon, although the combat seems way too dated for me
Realms of Arkania - tried the first one HD and did not enjoy. The game seemed to be just traveling to different spots on the map. Played the original RoA 2 and I was getting into it, but I gave it up after getting tired of Lowangen. Combat sucked and leveling up seemed pointless (i.e. felt like nothing changed). I may try RoA 2 HD when I can get it on sale.
Pools of Darkness - have not tried. I might enjoy it.
Dungeon master - haven't tried, big reason being that it's realtime.
Darklands is a must. Don't be scared of real time combat. Combat is not that good but real time is not the main problem. It's slow (and obviously with pause) so it doesn't feel very real-timey, so to speak. The problem is that vast majority of it becomes too easy too early. Basically once you level up weapon skills and equip high quality plate and top tier weapons there are very few challenges left and it's too easy to do. Kill a few raubritters and you're there. In addition, the exploration of dungeons/castles/etc... in "isometric" mode is unbearably slow.
But it still is a must. Fantastic setting and atmosphere alone are worth it. Add to that some really interesting and original mechanics.
I'm not nostalgic. Played it for the first time when the game was ~10 years old and already dated as fuck graphic-wise.

Black Angel

Arcane
And if by 'modern', you meant the 90s RPGs

You do realise that the "90s RPGs" encompass pre-API/DOS and API/Windows, don't you?

Wizardry 6 (1990)
Darklands (1992)
Ultima 7 (1992)
Wizardry 7 (1992)
Betrayal at Krondor (1993)
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (1994)
Daggerfall (1996)
Fallout (1997)
etc.

Idiot.
I meant it in context of Sigourn's post, but thinking more about it I should've worded it to say RPGs that came out nearing the 2000s (Fallouts, BGs, PS:T, Deus Ex, Arcanum, etc etc), basically the games being compared against the classics as mentioned by OP.

Tbh, I probably shouldn't included that "And if by 'modern'," part and leave it at, "FTFY", but I add it anyway as a preemptive argument to Sigourn's possible followups.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
And if by 'modern', you meant the 90s RPGs

You do realise that the "90s RPGs" encompass pre-API/DOS and API/Windows, don't you?

Wizardry 6 (1990)
Darklands (1992)
Ultima 7 (1992)
Wizardry 7 (1992)
Betrayal at Krondor (1993)
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (1994)
Daggerfall (1996)
Fallout (1997)
etc.

Idiot.
I meant it in context of Sigourn's post, but thinking more about it I should've worded it to say RPGs that came out nearing the 2000s (Fallouts, BGs, PS:T, Deus Ex, Arcanum, etc etc), basically the games being compared against the classics as mentioned by OP.

Tbh, I probably shouldn't included that "And if by 'modern'," part and leave it at, "FTFY", but I add it anyway as a preemptive argument to Sigourn's possible followups.

NO NO NO.

I never compared the renaissance (lilura has a obsession with that word) rpgs with the true classics (I have a obsession with that words). I compared the golden era rpgs with the newer, pos-plato, rpgs (PoE, D:OS, AoD, Blackguards...).
Don't put PoE in the same line with AoD. Don't you dare !
:outrage:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I compared the golden era rpgs

In truth, the Golden Age ('87-94) should be renamed Stone Age to more clearly reflect the technology, technical aptitude, and imagination of the coders.

(What coders were achieving at that time in the genre is as nothing when compared to what coders were achieving in other genre, such as flight/space-sims, survival games, FPSes, strategy games, platform games, shoot 'em ups, side-scrolling hack n slashers and vs. Fighters.)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded. It's a videogame, meant to be fun.

But Shin Megami Tensei was fun. What wasn't fun was getting into a fight every step of the way (Nocturne eventually fixed this). I have a low tolerance for shit design decisions such as "fights every two seconds", especially when they are as banal as they get.

It's a videogame, meant to be fun.

Fuck off, using that metric Skyrim is literally the best game ever made with the sales and lasting power to prove it ten times over.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
With any modern game, you buy it, wait for it to finish downloading (either downloading everything if you buy digital version or the rest of the components online if you buy physical disk version, and if you're just a tad bit late, wait for it to download day 1 patch(es)), install it, and play.
FTFY.

Only morons buy games they haven't played before.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What is a true codexian, who are they?
They make 1000 posts about hating Morrowind/Oblivion/Oblivion with guns/Skyrim/Skyrim with guns yet have over 1k hours played on Steam and argue about best mods that add enough sugar to cover the taste of shit.

But Shin Megami Tensei was fun. What wasn't fun was getting into a fight every step of the way (Nocturne eventually fixed this). Sorry, but I have a low tolerance for shit design decisions such as "fights every two seconds", especially when they are as banal as they get.
It was fun and then you ragequit like a pussy and went back to Persona 3. Something doesn't add up here.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It was fun and then you ragequit like a pussy and went back to Persona 3.

Can you prove I've ever played Persona 3, or is it just mental gymnastics from a butthurt Codexer who desperately tries to justify being the hardcorez as "putting up with shit design decisions"? Then again, your position has been clear from the very beginning: a perfect example of people who think they are actually smart for playing certain videogames. :lol:

EDIT: the irony of using the butthurt rating against the person you are discussing with.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom