Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sacred82

To anyone living on the sea, which - in fact - i am, so i actually know what i am talking about, you sound like a laughable deranged idiot.
You would get laughed at all day if you ever tried to talk that idiotic nonsense about fishing or the sea in general.

Besides that your whole rhetoric is an imbecilic shifting from idiotic goal post to idiotic goal post, either which you know nothing about.

And no, the bad weather doesnt last a "single day" which is an idiotic strawman produced by your idiotic dumb brain, but
- it dont last long enough to make people starve,
- in fact people go fishing in bad weather all the time. Thats the usual working day for a fisherman.
- not every bad weather is the same
- archipelagos - islands- provide protection from the worst of it
- you can catch fish from the shore you ludicrous laughable dimwit
- fish are not the only edible thing in the sea

Its just that you wanna talk about something you have no bloody idea about and in the process of trying to make yourself "RIGHT!" you went into full retard mode.
And thats because you are stupid.

Because you have to take people's boats away to stop them from going out to sea. :lol:
Lol wut?

Im afraid even to try to comprehend this as it looks to be introduction into another abyss of ignorance and utter stupidity.
But i find it pleasing that you are laughing about it.

People sweating out of anxiety are a cliché. Good to know.
Peoples upper lips - be specific asshole.
And yes, it is a dumb cliche. Not to mention sweating doesnt just show one specific emotional state. MORON!

Just to blow your mind, you can portray a character showing signs of impotent rage or unimpressive attempts to assert authority, too.
What does that have to do with flaring nostrils at people? Which people are physically incapable of doing, btw,

Please spend more time trying to prove how flaring nostrils is example of good character behavior description. :D

It's too bad you weren't hit by a biawac and don't have Watcher powers. You would be able to go to Easter Island and talk to some ghosts about how they managed to starve and go extinct while being surrounded by food-rich waters.
Wikipedia should be enough for that. Might wanna apply some of those awesome cognitive powers and read it.

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished the game and... wait, I'm going back to Caed Nua ? I don't want to go back there ! The Dyrwood was so lame ! This is almost as bad as MotB's good ending forcing me to return to fucking Neverwinter...

Anyway, I liked the game ! PoE 1 was... well, not bad, but kinda meh. I tried to replay it several times, but with little enthusiasm ; most of my attempts ended very quickly. But I definitely feel like replaying PoE 2. Though not right now, because the game has a few bugs that really need to be fixed.

Ukaizo is probably the weakest part of the game. Eothas's plan is interesting, but it doesn't really leave much room for our intervention. Other than the fight against the guardian, there's almost nothing to do on pseudo-Atlantis. Especially if you have no intention of changing Eothas's mind, which was my case.

Putting aside the return to Caed Nua, the ending slides were fine. Xoti ended up both with Eder and with Maia, which is probably a bug, though it's funnier to pretend it's not.

The exploration is pretty entertaining. It's what Storm of Zehir should have been. The dungeons are not huge and some encounters are very brief, but they're not bland.

Having a ship be your "fortress" was a smart idea. In PoE 1, having to travel for two days simply because a messenger had arrived at Caed Nua or because I wanted to modify my party was really annoying.

The companions are pretty good. Well, other than the animancer chick, who's a few dialogue lines short of a tertiary character right now. I liked the fact that, other than Aloth (and I've never really cared much about him), they all have strong ties to the story. Eder and Xoti worship Eothas, though with very different points of view. Pallegina, Maia, Tekehu and Serafen are each tied to one of the four main groups in the archipelago.

I liked the political aspect of the story. In truth, if developed more, I think it would have been sufficient to make a good story by itself.The lack of black-and-white morality in this struggle for preeminence is quite pleasant.

I really enjoyed the setting. The places we get to visit look very good, much better than anything we see in PoE 1 (except maybe for the White March). The societies and organizations we discover are reasonably interesting.

The existence of elves and dwarves has become utterly pointless, though. At least, in the first game, there was an elven city and an ancient dwarven fortress.

I really appreciated the fact that you can somewhat choose the classes of your companions, and that dual-classing is possible. It adds flexibility.

Having a party of five turned out to be a decent idea. Four is too few ; it really limits your tactical possibilities. Six is of course my favorite, but in a game where all characters have special abilities they can use (as opposed to the very limited options available to non-spellcasters in old CRPGs), maybe it wasn't necessary. Besides, you can still control six party members if you have a ranger in the team.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok i am halfway throw the stream,and don't what game they are talking about. Sawyer is explaining how they make certain things during development and level design and it have nothing in common with the game. Did he even play his gem? He talks how they try to reactivity,the game have almost no reactivity. He talks about making levels with pre-quest exploration in mind,yet most quests are broken if you explore before getting the quest. He talks about captivating and engaging opening while they have....you know what. Honestly,what game is he talking about?!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Ok i am halfway throw the stream,and don't what game they are talking about. Sawyer is explaining how they make certain things during development and level design and it have nothing in common with the game. Did he even play his gem? He talks how they try to reactivity,the game have almost no reactivity. He talks about making levels with pre-quest exploration in mind,yet most quests are broken if you explore before getting the quest. He talks about captivating and engaging opening while they have....you know what. Honestly,what game is he talking about?!

The whole stream was full of softball questions and he answered like a true corporate stooge, we did this, we did that, of course we did this, when in reality they did almost none of that, it's like only him and his team played the game, everyone else just got a beta version. Their just saving face at the moment, especially that the game is going belly up on steam, they barely break 8k players online today:lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did he even play his gem? He talks how they try to reactivity,the game have almost no reactivity
There's reactivity just not meaningful as we percieve it, not AoD reactivity where you can actually pay for your actions, die, really change the way plot goes etc.

Basically there's little to none reactivity which would make player REALLY concider his/her actions.

The nu, modern, Tyranny-like reactivity sortof. You fail quest (lol I killed your dragon last hope for your magicians), you say you sorry, you get new quest. You fail quest AGAIN (what tribe? sorry killed them all), say you sorry, you still can get next quest. You tell companion to fuck off and help slavers, he says "pls just this once or I leave", but since you can only help slavers once you continue and all is well. Ecetera.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
so they devoted time specifically to fleshing out the factions and combined they still have less content than the Legion

And PoE1 factions combined still have less content than any of Deadfire factions.

Did he even play his gem? He talks how they try to reactivity,the game have almost no reactivity
There's reactivity just not meaningful as we percieve it,

You're talking to a dude who can't even figure out if he played 30 or 60 hours, do you seriously think he is able to figure out that one of his decisions had reactivity 5 hours later? :lol:

Last edited:

Lios

Cipher
Tragedians don't write mythology. Even if we count that, it's the exception that confirms the rule. It's atypical even for tragedies from the start, Dionysus being a character in the play is very different from everything else. The Iliad is another very atypical example of the gods having humanlike involvement in the plot.

Barring the bold part which is debatable (remember that Euripides' Dionysus actually defined the dionysian-phoenician cult), you are right on this one.
This is what I get for rushing in to play smartass.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
There's reactivity just not meaningful as we percieve it, not AoD reactivity where you can actually pay for your actions, die, really change the way plot goes etc.

Basically there's little to none reactivity which would make player REALLY concider his/her actions.

And this is a major problem with the game, which hurts it's replayability value by quite a margin. The main story is way too linear and short, the factions have only 4-5 short quests and and most of them end up being in the same location and there's barely any reaction from any of them if you go agaisnt them, maybe until the last main mission. The large bulk of the game consists in bounty like encounters with little to no narrative, where you hunt enemies on random islands or some small but good-ish quests like Nemnok The Devourer, Vampire island and that's kinda it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The nu, modern, Tyranny-like reactivity sortof. You fail quest (lol I killed your dragon last hope for your magicians), you say you sorry, you get new quest. You fail quest AGAIN (what tribe? sorry killed them all), say you sorry, you still can get next quest. You tell companion to fuck off and help slavers, he says "pls just this once or I leave", but since you can only help slavers once you continue and all is well.
Nobody cares about what is the nu way or what ever. When people hear reactivity they expect certain thing,when Sawyer and Obsidian doesn't deliver people will take their wallets go elsewhere,as they did. People don't care about some flimsy alternate definition of reactivity,they won't go "Oh,you are right,the game is great no that you had explained!" .

PS: I get your post and agree with you,my comment is not attack on yours ;).

PS:Fuck off IHaveHugeNick. You got wiped by bunch of imps and skipped the vampire island! Your opinion on the game is worthless seeing how you haven't even finished the whole game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just finished the whole stream,more bullshit maistery. Also that guy that played the game really sucked at it,he didn't even bother using the alt to highlight things.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Sacred82

To anyone living on the sea, which - in fact - i am, so i actually know what i am talking about, you sound like a laughable deranged idiot.
You would get laughed at all day if you ever tried to talk that idiotic nonsense about fishing or the sea in general.

Besides that your whole rhetoric is an imbecilic shifting from idiotic goal post to idiotic goal post, either which you know nothing about.

And no, the bad weather doesnt last a "single day" which is an idiotic strawman produced by your idiotic dumb brain, but
- it dont last long enough to make people starve,
- in fact people go fishing in bad weather all the time. Thats the usual working day for a fisherman.

Its just that you wanna talk about something you have no bloody idea about and in the process of trying to make yourself "RIGHT!" you went into full retard mode.
And thats because you are stupid.
Insults and empty claims don't help to anyone look more reasonable and smarter. You claim that you live near sea, but you can't tell difference between fishing boat and ship for transportation people and cargo. Not to mention that in all sea travels of mankind during past 10 millennia people always had food stored in different forms, just because fish tend to migrating and in ocean/sea it goes in deep waters where fishing rod is not effective or useless (not to mention that you can caught seaweed or some poisonous shit) and construction of some ships make it difficult. Even if according your "wisdom" catch fish in fucking deep ocean is easy - any fish need preparation before eating and don't tell me you would waste a fresh water on this.
in fact people go fishing in bad weather all the time. Thats the usual working day for a fisherman.
Maybe on river or in special boat, but we talking about not fishing ship.
it dont last long enough to make people starve,
Some seas have storm seasons that last MONTHS and fish migrate.
archipelagos - islands- provide protection from the worst of it
Is it some kind of dark joke, after another tragedy in Pacific Ocean?
fish are not the only edible thing in the sea
Not all seaweed can be eaten by humans and definitely not all jelly fish.
you can catch fish from the shore
We talking about ocean, if you have shore then you have island and this is different story.

Honestly you don't seems like one who live near ocean and if you live then you count as freak by your neighbors

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Rinslin Merwind
Sunny... ill spare you because you are so dumb nobody can correct that or even try to explain anything.
I thought that previous "opinions" about life at sea were dumb and ignorant but you just went and exceeded those limits by a light year.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Your opinion on the game is worthless

This coming from a guy who bitched that no one is attacking him and it turned out he just picked pacifist quest solution. :lol:
It is a poor design mate,it is cool to have a few optional fights that you could talk around it. But not every single boss. You couldn't even pass the talky check at the archmage estate,don't know how you managed to get outwitted by an imp. That level have like 5% chance of not doing it pacifistic. Also i killed the rooftop construct,therefore it is not a pacifistic run :P.

PS: At least you are a good sport when it come down to throwing jabs :lol:.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

The nu, modern, Tyranny-like reactivity sortof. You fail quest (lol I killed your dragon last hope for your magicians), you say you sorry, you get new quest. You fail quest AGAIN (what tribe? sorry killed them all), say you sorry, you still can get next quest. You tell companion to fuck off and help slavers, he says "pls just this once or I leave", but since you can only help slavers once you continue and all is well. Ecetera.

Tyranny is the game that's closest to AoD. It actually has quite bit of reactivity. I mean at the end of act I who you ally with changes entirety of act 2, in which you still have a lot of flexibility in how to proceed.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Sacred82

Thanks, it's good to know you're one of a tribe of primiitive island-bound people making a living fishing from 2 man canoes. That explains things.

- it dont last long enough to make people starve

back up your strawman by telling us how long it takes to make people starve, and why a period of weather can impossibly hold up for that long.

gee wiz, the Aumaua'll just put on their raincoats and boots and start up their engines, of course

o rly, you're a fountain of wisdom

islands provide protection for very small boats out at sea. I want an island for a protector.

People just need to pull out their fishing rods and wade into ankle deep water and the fish can't wait to be hauled ashore, all the while storms are raging. Can you please pinpoint the location of your island of madmen on a map for me to laugh at it?

you can also catch dolphins, whales, kraken and mermaids while standing on the waterfront. Wrap it up in algae and I'm game.

Because you have to take people's boats away to stop them from going out to sea. :lol:
Lol wut?

Im afraid even to try to comprehend this as it looks to be introduction into another abyss of ignorance and utter stupidity.
But i find it pleasing that you are laughing about it.

I'll spell it out for you, you island-dwelling crazy goof:

in an organized society, the fishing activity - certainly the seagoing fishing activity - can be regulated, just like the hunting in a landbound tribe can be regulated. It's a communal activity, and absence without leave can be punished.

People sweating out of anxiety are a cliché. Good to know.
Peoples upper lips - be specific asshole.
And yes, it is a dumb cliche. Not to mention sweating doesnt just show one specific emotional state. MORON!

GET A BRAINS.

surprisingly enough, people can get sweat pretty much anywhere on their skin. Plz tell me, Mr island dwelling fish inspector cum neuroscientist, how this can not occur due to any shifts in a person's emotional state. You have 30 seconds before you're being eliminated for being a waste of resources.

Just to blow your mind, you can portray a character showing signs of impotent rage or unimpressive attempts to assert authority, too.
What does that have to do with flaring nostrils at people? Which people are physically incapable of doing, btw,

Please spend more time trying to prove how flaring nostrils is example of good character behavior description. :D

bwahaha, people are unable to 'flare', that is, make their nostrils expand and collaps rapidly. I'm already doing it in response to your bullshit. Don't talk about human anatomy anymore unless you want to embarass yourself further.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Your opinion on the game is worthless

This coming from a guy who bitched that no one is attacking him and it turned out he just picked pacifist quest solution. :lol:
It is a poor design mate,it is cool to have a few optional fights that you could talk around it. But not every single boss. You couldn't even pass the talky check at the archmage estate,don't know how you managed to get outwitted by an imp. That level have like 5% chance of not doing it pacifistic. Also i killed the rooftop construct,therefore it is not a pacifistic run :P.

PS: At least you are a good sport when it come down to throwing jabs :lol:.

I got inside through a bathhouse caves, so I started at the lab going up. Good luck fighting 2 or 3 constructs simultaneously, fresh off the boat with starter weapons. By the time I got to the imp that has a skill check I already cleaned up the whole place anyway.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That makes The Witcher 2 the closest game to AoD, arguably its spiritual predecessor

That's not what I meant, Tyranny's quest structure is very freeform but also very reactive. You can commit to factions during your play and at any point completely abandon them. It's not even close to witcher 2 which is just two different pathways to same act 3. While Tyranny has like 4 different factions with ability to switch between them, commit to your own path, be a loyalist or rebel against Kyros etc. You can go with Scarlet Chorus, betray them, then help rebels then betray them too at end of act I for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom