Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think Blizz is resistant to adding high elves because they don't want a playable "vanilla elf with nothing special about them" race. Each of them has gotta have some twist or gimmick. Void Elves were their way of giving high elf fanboys what they wanted but with something else to make them speshul, but it backfired judging by the reactions. And since all of the pre-BFA Allied Races seem to be "fire and forget" you can probably not expect much in the way of lore development for them. Enjoy your two named NPCs and floating rock capital!

Sentinel

Arcane
When Classic servers will release, the current WoW will die out to the old superior version.
I think it's the other way around. When classic releases, it'll die out after 2 months and some people will flock to new WoW while the others will go online crying about how vanilla servers arent actually vanilla and it's all blizzard's fault their nostalgia isn't sated.

Aildrik

Savant
I feel like Vanilla servers will be a sort of living wayback machine for WoW. I can see both new and old players leveling through to revisit lore, quests and zones that have been long lost in the current game. I also think there will be a good bit of staying power to the classic servers as you have people who will prefer old Azeroth.

My big curiosity will be the raiding scene. I don't think many players, even those that think they do now, will not have a lot of stomach for the 40man raids as they were back in the day. Molten Core was cool and all but pretty damn boring to be honest, and now you are relying on 35-40 ppl to show up? AQ40 and Naxx will be even more brutal when it comes to time commitment; food, buff, flask farming, etc.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AQ40 and Naxx will be even more brutal when it comes to time commitment; food, buff, flask farming, etc.

This is mostly redunant and will not be timeconsuming issue if the server will prove to be popular enough to hit original vanilla cap (which was around 1250 players per faction, then upped to 1500).

Back in retail vanilla we had people buying raidspots for farm raids and for example Judgement Spaulders sold for several thousands of gold at times. Just selling boost runs can easily keep raid potted and flasked fairly easily.

GreyViper

Prophet
Currently unlocking most of the hidden skins for all classes before the new xpac lands and they get locked away. 70% done in that regards.
But regarding Saregas being defeated, its not that much of an issue since old gods are next. Also I recommend doing the Death Knight class hall, that could be well called Rise of Lich King. So I wonder if its going to be two, antagonists Old Gods and the new Lich King.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My big curiosity will be the raiding scene. I don't think many players, even those that think they do now, will not have a lot of stomach for the 40man raids as they were back in the day. Molten Core was cool and all but pretty damn boring to be honest, and now you are relying on 35-40 ppl to show up? AQ40 and Naxx will be even more brutal when it comes to time commitment; food, buff, flask farming, etc.
tons of returning players remember the encounters like yesterday. people will get carried (and in return, continue to carry others).

Quatlo

Arcane
Not to mention that most of the diffucilty came from neeeding to have 40 non braindead people in the raid and really, really shitty interface.
Even backported addons in vanilla make the game a cakewalk compared to how it was back in the day, plus at least you have healers that know their skills now.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Current leveling in WoW after the heirloom nerfs is a complete shitshow and Blizzard should be embarrassed and ashamed of the dogshit state it is in. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that in its current state WoW offers the worst leveling experience I've had in a MMO. Several tens of levels without getting anything new, significant or interesting to morph your gameplay while you wade through sluggish tedium is inexcusable. Pre-heirloom nerf it was acceptable because you'd blaze through the early levels really fast, but now it is a whole lot slower and you're forced to play with crummy and clunky gameplay because most classes only feel right after you get their entire skillset. When I was leveling my Balance Druid I only felt like things clicked properly once I hit level 100 and got the artifact skill which completed his skill set and gameplay loop. Instead of adding more unnecessary levels with BfA Blizzard should be considering a level squash. There are just too many dead levels that don't add anything to you in terms of character development; even less so now due to world wide level scaling so you're not even getting a statistical advantage with level ups.

Just to pull up EverQuest as an example, the game is on its 24th expansion (released last September) and its level cap goes up all the way to 110, because they don't try to force new level caps with each expansion, and when they do they tend to add some actual progression where each new level has at least something for you to look forward to.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
^^ You can thank vanilla shills for that slower leveling pace HAHAHAHA enjoy your “immersion” and “sense of accomplishment” after spamming frostbolt for 110 levels LOL

‘Doodz u entitled milenials dont get it back in my day u actually had to WORK for pixels ull never understand the feeling of getting a +1 stamina epic drop from khablandoth the death bringer after grinding for 20000 hours’

Don Peste

Arcane
^^ You can thank vanilla shills for that slower leveling pace HAHAHAHA enjoy your “immersion” and “sense of accomplishment” after spamming frostbolt for 110 levels LOL

‘Doodz u entitled milenials dont get it back in my day u actually had to WORK for pixels ull never understand the feeling of getting a +1 stamina epic drop from khablandoth the death bringer after grinding for 20000 hours’
In reality, only 2% of players beated Khablandoth back in the day.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Pretty sure the nuscaling is blizzard turning the screws to up their sales on character boosts. They like those there shekels

Hobo Elf

Arcane

They are probably fake fans who never played vanilla but like pictures that oldfags have painted for them in their stories. Leveling was slow back then but the leveling phase was also considered to be content and was actually fun to go through, even repeatedly. Now the leveling phase hardly counts as content and only exists to stretch your gameplay time and keep you subbed, or even better (for Blizzard), pay for the level boost. I still don't know why levels 100-110 exist when the only character progression that happens in the Legions expac is at level 100 when you get your Artifact weapon and at 110 when you actually start leveling it up. The 100-110 leveling phase is a complete waste of time and doesn't add anything to the experience.

Pretty sure the nuscaling is blizzard turning the screws to up their sales on character boosts. They like those there shekels

That's my thought as well, and seems to be the popular conspiracy theory (I came to this conclusion on my own before reading other peoples' opinions).

Bake

Novice
Most pathetic thing with the scaling change is that it’s clear as day that they didn’t thoroughly playtest it before forcing it through.
Many quests obviously weren't designed with these changes in mind, so now they’ve become absolute chores to do.

Aildrik

Savant
I think I am finally done with WoW :( I took a break at the end of Cata until partway through MoP but for me personally, the loose ends hanging out from WC3 have mostly been wrapped up and I am not really feeling the direction Blizzard is going with new lore. Maybe it is also just that I have been playing since Vanilla and the game has just played itself out. I will likely come back and check out the Vanilla servers when they finally launch, just to see if/how Blizzard pulls it all off. I enjoyed playing on some of the private vanilla servers but never felt I could invest the time with the sword of cease and desist hanging overhead. I think it could be a lot of fun on officially sanctioned servers with a healthy population.

Aildrik

Savant
The loose ends were wrapped up in fucking WotLK.

A lot were, yeah, but I personally wanted to see how the Titan / Sargeras storyline played out... if they were going to keep him as a nebulous bad guy and the Titans as mysterious 'out there...somewhere' power. With that wrapped up, there really isn't much left aside from crap that was introduced in, say, BC like the Void and Old Gods.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They can (and will) recycle old concepts/ideas/expansions. Just wait for it, we'll be going back to Northrend eventually to kill Bolvar as the Lich King. Or there's always more time travel to be done.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They are probably fake fans who never played vanilla but like pictures that oldfags have painted for them in their stories. Leveling was slow back then but the leveling phase was also considered to be content and was actually fun to go through, even repeatedly. Now the leveling phase hardly counts as content and only exists to stretch your gameplay time and keep you subbed, or even better (for Blizzard), pay for the level boost. I still don't know why levels 100-110 exist when the only character progression that happens in the Legions expac is at level 100 when you get your Artifact weapon and at 110 when you actually start leveling it up. The 100-110 leveling phase is a complete waste of time and doesn't add anything to the experience.

People report:
4 days /played (96 hours) just to level from 1 to 110
3 days /played (72 hours) to get geared for current content after you hit 110

and the overwhelming majority of people admit the game sucks until you hit current content?
so you're looking at a 168 hour long tutorial before you can even play the 'real game'.

Who the fuck designs games like that?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should just go with the original idea for Warcraft 2 and make a portal that leads to the modern world.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
They should just go with the original idea for Warcraft 2 and make a portal that leads to the modern world.

They have at least 2 spaceships now, the Vindicaar and the Priest one out in bumfuck nowhere. Surely they can go poke zerg, terrans and protoss, or find a nice world for each race to setup colonies for when the egg finally hatches out the titan, then you can have themepark planets. Kobolt planet where you can partake in the microholiday 'light the candle', Hoggerworld, where you can pay respect to Hogger, king of the gnolls, Waterworld where the naga are in an eternal battle with kevin costner.

Sykar

Arcane

That's my thought as well, and seems to be the popular conspiracy theory (I came to this conclusion on my own before reading other peoples' opinions).

You could spend a week in a zone if you leveled casually and it never got boring on a PvP sever apart from the occasional retarded griever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom