Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
How you starve while surrounded by sea? By not having ocean-going ships and the weather being shit, for example.
Because you need "ocean going" ships to fish.
And weather being shit... mhmm,.. a "shit", gotcha. I guess some rain would make you starve to death while being incapable of walking to the shore and catching some fish or plucking some clams.
Thats just it, you see the weather is "shit" and you lie down and starve to death.

There is nooo waaaay anyone can catch fish from smaller boats either, which - people living in an archipelago just dont know how to make.

It.. just cant be done.

:lol:

Try going out to sea in a small wooden boat amid high waves, let alone catch anything.

The claim that no one in a community near the sea could ever starve is ridiculous, especially since we don't know how the food is divided. Not everyone need get a fair share.

Right, right, its nitpicking... not that important that those are examples of how the entire conversations with companions and various NPCs you interact with in the game, is written.

The most important thing is that a couple of imbeciles found two examples that are not as bad as their devolved cretin brains understands the term.
Because thats the measure for good writing.

Most of your examples that followed are retarded, as in, not indicative of non-sensical writing. Bad writing, stylistically, people can always argue about that, but there's a limit to that and the writing is not as absurd as you pretend. Wee, sheens of sweat as a sign of anxiety, how clichéd. Nostrils flaring, how ineffective. I must concede your superior expertise on neck fat however.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The gods in Greek mythology punishing mortals does not "prove" their domains or what those domains are..

Euripides' Dionysus seem to disagree with you, my good man.
Check "Bacchae". If you've already done so, check it again.

Tragedians don't write mythology. Even if we count that, it's the exception that confirms the rule. It's atypical even for tragedies from the start, Dionysus being a character in the play is very different from everything else. The Iliad is another very atypical example of the gods having humanlike involvement in the plot.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
What is it that you don't understand? The main story is too linear, poorly explained and too short , you don't get to digest what is happening and before you know it the credit starts to roll. You know nothing till the end, when they decide to drop a load of mambo jumbo pulled out of their ass because they were too incompetent to make an interesting story. And yes, length does affect quality when the story is rushed and poorly explained, like I told you, the main story can be completed in under 2-3 hours and it mostly consists with you visiting only 3 islands, that's not enough content to properly explain a story of this magnitude.
Because you seem to be changing your point between posts. You started by saying the game sucks because of a lack of branching paths at the climax, then that the main story is too short, and then that a game in 2018 must innovate beyond Baldur's Gate. Now, we are back at the game being way too short. If you think it is all three, that is fine, but just need to mark when you are moving from one point to another.

Furthermore, as I said in my prior post, I think it is perfectly fine for someone to criticize the game for the quality and quantity of the writing. I just think it is over the top to call the game shit, because it does not have a branching plot that virtually no game offers or that specifically suffered for its absence (e.g., Planescape Torment).

And somehow in Planescape you can kill or absorb the final boss and get a more nuanced ending with different cinematics and some post-end talk with your companions, yet in PoE 2 all you can do is pick your favourite color from a bowl.

And PT

And that's a 20yo game we are talking about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hehe Josh is talking about the reaction to what he said about traditionalists at Reboot Develop

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh says he thinks Obsidian ended up making the dungeons too small because they invested in fleshing out the factions instead (in particular the RDC which received an extra area late in development)

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How you starve while surrounded by sea? By not having ocean-going ships and the weather being shit, for example.
And weather being shit... mhmm,.. a "shit", gotcha. I guess some rain would make you starve to death while being incapable of walking to the shore and catching some fish or plucking some clams.
Thats just it, you see the weather is "shit" and you lie down and starve to death.

There is nooo waaaay anyone can catch fish from smaller boats either, which - people living in an archipelago just dont know how to make.

It.. just cant be done.

Try going out to sea in a small wooden boat amid high waves, let alone catch anything.
Thats what fishing boats do all the time, moron.

Plus, even the extremely "high waves" stop after a while, you ridiculous dumb inlander. The "shit weather" does not last for ages!
And, if you have an archipelago, there is plenty of space where waves are not "that high". Unbelievable i know. Its incomprehensible magic.
Watch or your brain may implode from reading these words.

The claim that no one in a community near the sea could ever starve is ridiculous, especially since we don't know how the food is divided. Not everyone need get a fair share.
Food division is a matter of politics - socioeconomic system.
Wanna try preventing people from catching fish if they are starving, or take it away, let me know how your awesome island society goes on.

Right, right, its nitpicking... not that important that those are examples of how the entire conversations with companions and various NPCs you interact with in the game, is written.
The most important thing is that a couple of imbeciles found two examples that are not as bad as their devolved cretin brains understands the term.
Because thats the measure for good writing.

Most of your examples that followed are retarded, as in, not indicative of non-sensical writing. Bad writing, stylistically, people can always argue about that, but there's a limit to that and the writing is not as absurd as you pretend. Wee, sheens of sweat as a sign of anxiety, how clichéd. Nostrils flaring, how ineffective. I must concede your superior expertise on neck fat however.
[/QUOTE]

First of all, i didnt "pretend it was so absurd". Thats an idiotic fallacy you and the other few imbeciles invent to falsely build a "counter argument".
And you do that because you are dumb devolved ignorant bitches.

Sheens of sweat on upper lips ARE a cliche, while nostrils flaring is just so fucking stupid i cant even. Wanna first show me how to "flare nostrils" and then explain how that is a good thing to do in official gatherings, or anywhere else. The fact you think its alright writing just shows what a ridiculous dumb cretin you are, and is one of the main reasons why writing in games is so lousy.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What is it that you don't understand? The main story is too linear, poorly explained and too short , you don't get to digest what is happening and before you know it the credit starts to roll. You know nothing till the end, when they decide to drop a load of mambo jumbo pulled out of their ass because they were too incompetent to make an interesting story. And yes, length does affect quality when the story is rushed and poorly explained, like I told you, the main story can be completed in under 2-3 hours and it mostly consists with you visiting only 3 islands, that's not enough content to properly explain a story of this magnitude.
Because you seem to be changing your point between posts. You started by saying the game sucks because of a lack of branching paths at the climax, then that the main story is too short, and then that a game in 2018 must innovate beyond Baldur's Gate. Now, we are back at the game being way too short. If you think it is all three, that is fine, but just need to mark when you are moving from one point to another.

Furthermore, as I said in my prior post, I think it is perfectly fine for someone to criticize the game for the quality and quantity of the writing. I just think it is over the top to call the game shit, because it does not have a branching plot that virtually no game offers or that specifically suffered for its absence (e.g., Planescape Torment).

And somehow in Planescape you can kill or absorb the final boss and get a more nuanced ending with different cinematics and some post-end talk with your companions, yet in PoE 2 all you can do is pick your favourite color from a bowl.

And that's a 20yo game we are talking about.
But that is not the argument you started with at all. Again, you keep changing your point. You said that the game suffers because there are no alternative routes or areas that change. Planescape Torment has a lot of nuance, but you cannot avoid the Fortress of Regret. There is one route and only one route to the ending. You have to fight/kill a companion and you must choose to either go to "hell" or nonexistence. To use your own analogy, there is only red and blue flavor. The final boss fight itself is relatively inconsequential, especially when you run either max wisdom or charisma.

Eothas is not really the final boss of PoE2, but rather the opposing faction leader. Eothas instantly kills you if you try, and so I wouldn't call that a boss fight.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

It.. just cant be done.

:retarded:

how fucking retarded can you be. Think Hawaiian canoes.

Plus, even the extremely "high waves" stop after a while, you ridiculous dumb inlander. The "shit weather" does not last for ages!
And, if you have an archipelago, there is plenty of space where waves are not "that high". Unbelievable i know. Its incomprehensible magic.

No amount of bad weather (which always goes away the next day because it's totally not seasonal lololmirite) has ever disrupted fishing because it totally doesn't influence animal behaviour either. Fuckwit.

that's a pretty loose definition of politics but whatevs m8

Wanna try preventing people from catching fish if they are starving, or take it away, let me know how your awesome island society goes on.

Because you have to take people's boats away to stop them from going out to sea. :lol:

First of all, i didnt "pretend it was so absurd". Thats an idiotic fallacy you and the other few imbeciles invent to falsely build a "counter argument".
And you do that because you are dumb devolved ignorant bitches.

Label it whatever you want moron, they're your retarded examples. Point being, you took offense to the content of the writing, not the style.

Sheens of sweat on upper lips ARE a cliche, while nostrils flaring is just so fucking stupid i cant even.

People sweating out of anxiety are a cliché. Good to know. Or maybe you'd like to explain what body parts are less clichéd if covered in sweat?

Wanna first show me how to "flare nostrils" and then explain how that is a good thing to do in official gatherings, or anywhere else.

A good thing.

A. good. thing.

Maybe you shouldn't criticize the writing if that's the categories you think in. Just to blow your mind, you can portray a character showing signs of impotent rage or unimpressive attempts to assert authority, too.

kys

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Another thing Josh said is expect a really large jump in PotD difficulty after he finishes balancing it.

Also, he wonders if anybody has noticed that the area descriptions change if you kill a faction's leader. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Talking about his break from directing games now. Josh says he's taking the break because he was starting to feel burnt out towards the end of Deadfire. He wants to see if he can do "something a little different" in RPGs. He'll work as Obsidian's Design Director overseeing other designers for a while and think about what he might do "maybe a year from now".

vonAchdorf

Arcane
He wants to design something a little bit different in the RPG genre "a year from now".

Too slow of course.

What's the tabletop he mentioned he has to design?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

It.. just cant be done.

It's too bad you weren't hit by a biawac and don't have Watcher powers. You would be able to go to Easter Island and talk to some ghosts about how they managed to starve and go extinct while being surrounded by food-rich waters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom