Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
pretty sure like half of them want to nuke the statue but don't for reasons

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That is bad writing,he got that power just to show that you can die in this game from text.
Sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? How the fuck a god of DEATH have power to KILL character in one blow is an example of bad writing? I mean what else you want? Show more creativity and invent way that god of DEATH should show that he is a god of death, beside killing. Or what you meant by this? Also you can die from text in several places, not only in Rymrgand lair.
While they don't use any powers to nuke the fucking statue.
Maybe because they don't want destroy world again, like it was with Abydon? I mean they was created to protect world, not fucking nuke whole world every time when they like it. Not to mention that killing a god have consequences.
Ohhh that american pride! Rymrgand is not a god of death,he is a god of nothingness and eradication. The game is written in a way to give them powers in certain moments that will impress the player while being totally impotent when it matters. The volcano part was sooo bad. A statue with such tonnage will sink in the volcano,magma and lava are liquids. Also the statue wouldn't be seeable,because most seas and oceans are a lot deeper than the statue's height. All the plot like is retarded beyond believe,it feels like it is written by a six grader. This is some basic education there mate,but the writers are lacking it. A good fantasy/scifi takes the natural laws and adds something unique,they don't just disregard it and just splash some random shit on to it. That is just a show of poor life experience and knowledge!
I have never seen anything that is so badly written in my life.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Be afraid, be very afraid...

32Zw1Bz.png
People have fun with builds and then devs decided to nerf builds instead of buffing enemies, I foresee fall down amount of players after patch release and thousands people who butthurt because shitload classes become useless. Honestly it's worst practice of balancing for single player game, people not should feel like their characters become a useless garbage, just because devs have "Grand Strategy(R)" It's my opinion ofc, but balancing should be done with DLC at worst or on beta-testing at best. I can't belive that deadfire going to repeat vicious cycle of patches like PoE did. Poor monks, I feel sad for players who actually using them, -1 playable class from game.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
A god of death is not a god of slaughter and murder, I think you are confusing the two things.
It's fine, he doesn't murder or slaughter you. He's like fuck off and if you act smart like try me, he does and you die.
It's a cool interaction, but now that I know it's just there to hype some dlc, i'm pissed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant it as a response to "how else would a god of death show you that he's the god of death?" Thanatos/Hades didn't go around killing people to show that he's the god of death.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
He's not a god of death anyway. He's the god of all things should end/stop hehe so it's actually on point to give him a little something in that regard.
Considering it poor writing when it's actually one of the rare occurences of consistency in the game is p.weird.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
A god of death is not a god of slaughter and murder, I think you are confusing the two things.
It's fine, he doesn't murder or slaughter you. He's like fuck off and if you act smart like try me, he does and you die.
It's a cool interaction, but now that I know it's just there to hype some dlc, i'm pissed.

It's a good interaction in itself, regardless of its ties to future DLC.

It's also very remiscent of Hades, rather than Thanatos. Hades was more "I don't really give a fuck about the living" while very keen on punishing those who tested their luck.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think I may have strayed into the so called 'end-game content' as the enemies suddenly started dropping Superb loot and actually dealing dmg to me
My party is lvl9 and dressed haphazardly in tattered newspapers sewn together
Heh, you can sink some 80 hp random ships and get a few legendary (white, not enchanted, no story, no anything) weapons and armor. Making 95% of (un-enchanted) unique loot you found obsolete.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Thanatos/Hades didn't go around killing people to show that he's the god of death.

They would if you came to their place and started talking shit. Which is exactly the scenario here. But hey, thank you for sharing your insightful opinions about quests you haven't read in a game you didn't play.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Ohhh that american pride! Rymrgand is not a god of death,he is a god of nothingness and eradication. The game is written in a way to give them powers in certain moments that will impress the player while being totally impotent when it matters. The volcano part was sooo bad. A statue with such tonnage will sink in the volcano,magma and lava are liquids. Also the statue wouldn't be seeable,because most seas and oceans are a lot deeper than the statue's height. All the plot like is retarded beyond believe,it feels like it is written by a six grader. This is some basic education there mate,but the writers are lacking it. A good fantasy/scifi takes the natural laws and adds something unique,they don't just disregard it and just splash some random shit on to it. That is just a show of poor life experience and knowledge!
I have never seen anything that is so badly written in my life.
Wait, you still think that I am American just because I think different? Ok, you just stupid. Now I undertand why you got your rating and tag. Sorry, but I feel that our discussion pointless, since you can't bring facts, only mumbling some nonsense about pride. But on other side you don't have anything to be proud, so it's understandable why in your little mind a computer game should give players a pride or something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Every god can kill a mortal without him being the god of death. Such petty displays of power say nothing and don't prove any domains. I'm also pretty sure no mortal in Greek mythology went and talked shit and threw temper tantrums at the gods.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Every god can kill a mortal without him being the god of death. Such petty displays of power say nothing and don't prove any domains.

This is such a shallow display of understanding of pre-abrahamic religions, one I didn't expect of you. Pantheons and pagan religions were all about display of power, as they were meant to signify and revolved around duty and ritual (as opposed to morality & judgement of Abrahamic religions), if a mortal was in commitment of hubris by challenging Gods, ironic punishment was what they got and deserved, for trespassing their duty and ignoring their ritual.

Apollo skinned a man alive for playing the lyre better than him. Athena cursed a woman for weaving better than him. Hades doomed a man essentially into lobotomy for daring to be attracted to Persephone. I could give similar examples for other pagan religions as well if you want (primarily Egyptian and Mesapotamian).

Trying to justify Gods from a lenses of reason is a very new concept, so is indeed assigning them completely neutral and objective logic.

Fairfax

Arcane
PoE2 made some old posts more interesting in hindsight: :M

re: conditional frameworks, etc

I think it's rather weird when a game provides you with tools that literally make it play itself.

In fact, I'm coming around to the idea that any tactical game that provides "AI scripts", or anything else other than pure player-controlled "puppet mode", is actually actively sabotaging its player base and design integrity in the long term. It's teaching them that they don't have to actually play the game, that they don't have to learn the rules and the nitty gritty. With every sequel you'll have to make things more automated, with fewer and fewer fights that require manual control. And your designers will begin to forget how to make combat that's actually fun to play when it's not automated. It's a popamole slope.

One thing that's cool about PoE is that by all accounts it's been designed with zero automated gameplay in mind. Something that more than a few casuals are worried about. :smug:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Apollo skinned a man alive for playing the lyre better than him. Athena cursed a woman for weaving better than him. Hades doomed a man essentially into lobotomy for daring to be attracted to Persephone. I could give similar examples for other pagan religions as well if you want (primarily Egyptian and Mesapotamian).

Trying to justify Gods from a lenses of reason is a very new concept, so is indeed assigning them completely neutral and objective logic.

Thanks for proving my point that any god can kill a mortal without him being the god of death. The gods didn't need to prove to mortals they have power, that's a given. How and why they use that power is another matter. The relationship between the mortals and the gods are the thing I'm trying to stress, i.e. it's not like PoE portrays it. Going to a god's abode and talking shit is ridiculous.

FreeKaner

Thanks for proving my point that any god can kill a mortal without him being the god of death. The gods didn't need to prove to mortals they have power, that's a given. How and why they use that power is another matter. The relationship between the mortals and the gods are the thing I'm trying to stress, i.e. it's not like PoE portrays it.

It is though, a mortal trespasses their boundaries against a God and they are appropriate punished for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's not with the intention to prove to the mortals they have power. When Orpheus went into the underworld to save Eurydice, he didn't throw a temper tantrum or talked shit, he played music for Persephone and Hades. His wife vanished because he disobeyed the orders of Hades by looking back, that wasn't to prove to him that Hades isn't bluffing.

FreeKaner

That's not with the intention to prove to the mortals they have power. When Orpheus went into the underworld to save Eurydice, he didn't throw a temper tantrum or talked shit, he played music for Persephone and Hades. His wife vanished because he disobeyed the orders of Hades by looking back, that wasn't to prove to him that Hades isn't bluffing.

That's an entirely different case scenario but one that displays same theme of duty and ritual. He couldn't complete his ritual and didn't stay within the boundaries of his duty so he failed to free his wife. Hades wasn't being vindictive in his case.

Meanwhile he was being vindictive in the case of Pirithous because Pirithous crossed his boundaries by asking for Hades' wife so he was punished. Similarly when the PC challenges God's authority explicitly he is shown his place because he crossed his mortal boundaries.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yet we aren't talking about that. We were talking about how a god of death can "prove" that he's the god of death and Rinslin said that by killing someone he'd prove that. Which is ridiculous, the whole idea is nonsense.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

well

better double-time to finish the game before its ruined then
I keep local copies of the GoG install of the pre-patch version. Untouchable to Sawyerism.

I'd rather they balance the game by making encounters harder instead of making builds shittier.

This is a good idea except Sawyer would achieve that by increasing HP bloat and number of enemies or worse, increasing resistance.

Why anyone is playing this before the 9 months of patching and DLC is beyond me.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
-The ending is 99% the same, no matter what you do in the game, you can butcher the entire Arhipelago and there's little to no change.
I got a completely different ending in my 2nd playthrough, maybe only the port Maje slides were the same.

I'm sorry but a slider is not the biggest motivation for another playthrough, I'm talking about the way you approach to get another ending, different routes, different interactions, maybe find a way to kill Eothas or I don't know, branch it a little, maybe they should have ditched the garbage VO and give me another route?

Aren't there 5 ways to approach the ending? 4 factions + going alone?

I went alone, regretted it :P It felt like the stalemate caused the worst endings for everyone.

It's all fluff, you take a side with one faction, another comes agaisnt you, there's a lame CYAO to the big battle and from there it's the same crap, defeat the guardian, talk to Eothas, suck his dick or not, he still does what he want. This is not proper branching, it's the same crap as Mass Effect ending, chose the right color and watch some crappy ass sliders. No, there should have been a way to stop Eothas, cut the VO budget and give you a different route, it's not rocket science. Now a lot of people won't have the same motivation to replay for the story because they know whatever you do, Eothas still does whatever the fuck he wants with or without you.
There is though,
You can convince Eothas not to destroy the wheel and empower Berath.

I'm not talking about the final dialogue branching, I'm talking about different routes to the ending, kill Eothas before reaching the wheel, a different map, a different encounter and it shouldn't have been that costing to make, hell the main story is shorter than 5 hours, there's not much to restructurate in terms of factions. Whispering sweet words in Eothas ear and tell him to choose green because you don't like blue is not something I want to replay the game for.
I understand the point, but how many games actually do what you are requesting? If I recall correctly, Plancesape Torment, Morrowind, Fallout 1&2, New Vegas, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, System Shock 2, etc. do not generate an entirely new route or finale. You still have to enter the Fortress of Regret through the portal, the Master's Lair, the Enclave's oil rig, Shodan's mind, etc.

Furthermore, the final boss in PoE2 is not Eothas, but rather the generated based on your faction choice. Eothas already won, similar to how Smiling Jack/Caine already won in VMB. I thought that was the point. Even MotB did not allow you to tear down the wall of the faithless if I remember correctly.

How would the Watcher even defeat Eothas without some bullshit power up? The fucker survived a volcano, a tsunami, a swarm of krakens, and can instantly steal the soul of anyone in proximity. It would require plot induced stupidity to work.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom