Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Arnust

Savant
I think that the whole DS2 connection to 1 with the Lord Souls and such are made out to be a way bigger deal than it actually is; the real meat and veg of the "story" in 2 is the generally way more interesting and varied bits of worldbuilding, more choral cast of NPC's and more actually present themes, in my opinion. Pretty much all around the respective Kings is damn solid. And getting to actually present the places where all that cool backstory took place, even more literally with all the Memories.

As for the ending, I don't really get where people come from with the "it's the same". It's incredibly vague what it actually is or does, and the clearer ending is Aldia's "Nor light or dark, but something far beyond", which is again a very interpretative one. Regardless of that it ends up feeling more final for me, more than a mishmash of DeS' and DS1's endings with some extra nonsense about LE DARK SOUL.

It'd have been fine for me that DS3 practically wants to retcon and ignore everything DS2, if what they do leave in didn't feel like being facetious. Every fucking item is rebranded to something really inane and the only area that is even remotely a reference is one of the most infamous levels of the game, to also be in ruins, in the middle of yet another fucking swamp, and the only reason for it all seems to be to have the Desert Sorceress set somewhere in the game for people to see some pixel titty. And the few more transcendental ideas like Memories, "beyond Light and Dark", more ways past the Kindling of the First Flame that AREN'T something also established in DS1. That and the ending wasteland doesn't even have a vague reference to Drangleic which at least it might've as well. Ah, and if then it wasn't not only a frankestein of shit from DS1 but also DeS to which it apes so much it makes me really wonder that they care way more for their general pathos than an actual narrative.

Imagine if instead of some shit from the Earthen Peak they remade say Drangleic Castle, redeeming while they're at it, frontloading the references like it's no tomorrow and even maybe also "subvert" it like the last DLC generally does.

Again, every time I try to give it credit for its own narrative this bit from Otzdarva comes to mind (it's timestamped but it's a pretty fun video overall):

Ah, and I can't really give a fuck about what Miyazaki does or thinks considering that his absence is directly tied to an increase in enjoyment for me :M

L'Montes

Educated
I like all the games, though not equally perhaps. There was some serious vitriol in the community of older fans shitting Dark Souls 2 for quite awhile after it came out. But I guess every series has its bitter vets.

I think the addition of Aldia and the content of the DLCs does a lot for the story of the game. Shulva, Brume, and Eleum all have more classic level design, and their self-contained lore is interesting enough that each one is fun to experience. Aldia's not perfect, but adjunct to the game story as a whole, he's a net benefit. The business with the Lord souls and the scraps you get about Nashy, Vendy, and the giants are all you really have in the launch version though.

For me, while I wasn't fan of the core story of Dark Souls 2, the DLC (and SotFS) improved the overall experience in hindsight. With Dark Souls 3, I was meh on the story initially, and the DLC wound up being a disappointment lore/story-wise in the end (in terms of the overarching lore of the series at least, that the games were ending with the story of Gael the nobody and his fucking slurpy paint-set). Compared to the 3 kings or Artorias of the Abyss, DS3 seems like it has the worst DLC, though I liked the design of the Ringed City more generally. That just reflects my personal opinion though.

I think I might've preferred the Final Fantasy approach. Some general similarity in mechanics and possibly weapons/etc., but don't bother basing them all in the same world. There was no reason to go from the open ending of 1 to what we got in 2..

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I might've preferred the Final Fantasy approach. Some general similarity in mechanics and possibly weapons/etc., but don't bother basing them all in the same world. There was no reason to go from the open ending of 1 to what we got in 2..
One hundred percent agreed.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I wonder, however, how big of an impact did Tanimura have on DS3.
he was assigned to multiplayer :negative:

That is really sad.
Tanimura is definitely a talented developer, and it's sad to hear he directed one of the lowest points in the franchise.

Regarding the Myiazaki discussion, it is intereeting to me how he cherry-picked details from DS2 and built them into the lore of DS3 - some pretty big stuff, like the repetition of cycles, many Lords of Cinder, thrones etc. - originate in some way or form in DS2. But he also conviniently handwaved places from DS2 as being largely irrelevant.

Am I the only one who liked Gael?
Before anybody responds, I don't think he is an end boss of the series, SoC is.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Nice, hope to hear some feedback from the Day-1ers soon regarding the technical improvements.

toroid

Arcane
The discount works now. Gonna give it a try. Also, I added the "wt ring u got bithc?" tag so let's see if it sticks..

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I want to know what the tech differences are. Someone report. I'm tempted to get it.....but do I really need to do a 6th play-through of Dark Souls? If I get it, I'll need to get all the achievements too, which means I'd have to do 3.5 play throughs and grind for all the weapons.

On the other hand, it would be fun to play Dark Souls 1 at a point when it still has a sizable population (it was pretty dead the other times I've played it).

What to do?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I want to know what the tech differences are. Someone report. I'm tempted to get it.....but do I really need to do a 6th play-through of Dark Souls? If I get it, I'll need to get all the achievements too, which means I'd have to do 3.5 play throughs and grind for all the weapons.

On the other hand, it would be fun to play Dark Souls 1 at a point when it still has a sizable population (it was pretty dead the other times I've played it).

What to do?
Active multiplayer and 60 fps? That's no-brainer for me.

toroid

Arcane
First impressions:
- Some textures have been changed for the better, others for the worse. Some textures have been "improved" by adding a layer of gaussian noise.
- Lighting is wonky in some places. Either too bright or inappropriately dark. Most is just fine though. Lighting seems to wash out some textures.
- Movement doesn't seem as quick as before. I swear that running is slower now.
- Got gravelorded within 40 minutes of the game's release. Upper bell is ringing like crazy. This is the time to play. Gonna go for leveling up Path of the Dragon at SL1.

L'Montes

Educated
A lot of the early PC players have been complaining about getting hit by a "hacker" (who's been doing it on stream). Reddit made a sticky, but won't name them to avoid giving fame to someone that's being a shitter I guess:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/8loa0y/pcif_you_encounter_a_hacker_make_sure_you_block/

I'd suspect the usual level of incompetence with handling cheaters at the moment.

A deleted post had a couple screenshots of a person being invaded, then immediately having all their weapons break, curse, etc. (possibly softban and/or egghead too?). Another post suggested they invade, fuck up your game, then immediately leave once your character is irreparably damaged.

Doesn't seem like it would be a fun way to play, but maybe they like the idea of causing as much chaos as possible while the game is new.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I got invaded by a guy named like that once in DS3, on SL1. He broke my game in 10 seconds. I still have screenshots somewhere.

However, I doubt it's the Malcom Reynolds, since I didn't get a softban. In any case, I blocked him and that's about it.

Beggar

Cipher
Graphics: Minimum 2GB VRAM (AMD Radeon HD7870, etc) or Nvidia GeForce GTX760

What a load of bullshit. I'm playing this one on GTX 560ti on max settings and it runs just like the original version

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I dunno if its regions fault or something, but this Remoostered version price is exactly twice as high, as original was, which makes 50% discount a bit silly.

Arnust

Savant
20180524102131_1.jpg

praetor

Arcane
the only way i'd even consider buying this was with Prepare to Die Again + Rekindled implemented... and that for 10 jewros at most

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When they announced the Remaster in January and it was an obvious cashgrab from the get go for anyone with two brain cells in their head and all you could see on the forums was a sea of retards bleating "u just mean, I'd buy even for 100 bux coz DS rockz" I almost lost hope for the DS community.

It's nice to see people finally pulling their heads out of their asses and seeing this steaming pile of corporate cynicism for what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom