Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I don't know, men. I'm down in the Old City at level 7 and I'm having a blast. I'm getting my butt kicked, but somehow managing. There are mobs that have three red skulls above their heads, and after a few tries, I have beaten them. I should probably not have gone in yet, but the urge to see it was too strong. I rally like this dungeon. A great change from all the small and boring islands. The one thing that I can't beat yet, in the Old City is a big ass mob that I won't spoil. No, it's not a dragon.

One way of not getting your ass handed to you is to simply pull a few enemies here and there. Doing this throughout the game the challenge will disappear very quickly on PotD + All scaling. The other method is to slow the game down to minimum during combat and actually look at the resistances of enemies, switch weapons on your PCs accordingly, and create buff only mage + priests and micro your PCs accordingly. Early on you need to pull because your fighter can't engage more than 2 enemies at a time. Once I got Pallaegina halfway through the game and I steam rolled everything harder. I had a party full of squishies, minus Eder and PotD didn't punish me. :/

Oh and btw don't forget you have a super function, which I recently discovered after 30+ hours of play. You can super anything from restoring class skills, to empowering skills, and possibly your equipped weapon (I haven't tried this yet, because there is never a need).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't know, men. I'm down in the Old City at level 7 and I'm having a blast. I'm getting my butt kicked, but somehow managing. There are mobs that have three red skulls above their heads, and after a few tries, I have beaten them. I should probably not have gone in yet, but the urge to see it was too strong. I rally like this dungeon. A great change from all the small and boring islands. The one thing that I can't beat yet, in the Old City is a big ass mob that I won't spoil. No, it's not a dragon.

That's normal - you are simply still at a level when combat can be decent if you take on high level encounters. The challenge keeps dropping rapidly after that and completely evaporates by level 12ish.

I think that people who ended up hating the game probably went straight to Neketaka right after the prologue and cleaned up everything, before setting sail to explore the islands. At which point they would be at the level at which game starts sucking gigantic dick because all the fights win themselves even on PoTD.

hi15555

Barely Literate
Except they are powerful and are in no way 'mediocre.'
"gods bickering" is pretty much the entirety of Greek mythology summed up in 2 words. Hestia grew so tired of their bickering that she gave her throne to Dionysus.

PoE's gods behave like classic multi-pantheon deities. After millennia of infighting they have developed some uneasy truce where they keep each other in check. So when one of them goes nuts, it reduces the rest of them to petty squabbling. They cannot take action in the mortal realm without exposing themselves to buttfucking from other gods.

When you enter Rymrands dimension, where the rest of pantheon has no say in the matters, he will just squash you like an ant if you fuck with him.
I really think you're both wrong here. Modern pop culture likes to portray greek (and norse) pantheons as childish because its popular with modern audiences. Its not reflective of how they were portrayed though. The gods were always impressive and clearly greater than humans. Their negative traits were more like the result of their exaggerated positive traits. They didn't bicker, they argued and gods arguing wasn't something for mortals to make fun of them for, it was something to fear. PoE's gods don't behave at all like classic pantheons unless your idea of classic pantheons comes from marvel comics or something.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wish I could get that pet for berath points right from beginning of the game.

He kept pausing every millisecond and kiting manually with every character, using insane amount of micro just to get through 30 seconds of combat
I also play like this. Order every move/attack myself. That's the point of having ability to pause/slow speed. Wait, that's not normal? What's normal, just allowing AI to auto attack or something? You're controlling the party, and doing tactical things, that's normal... right?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a pretty cool way to dramatically change mechanics, very creative. Buying it with Berath points is also a good idea.

frajaq

Erudite
q3P7rQK.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wasn't expecting them to tackle balancing so soon, but they have to touch up the encounters as well, not only numbers, so that will probably take longer. I am still salty Sawyer posts in that forum and it seems it's influencing his decisions. Burn it down.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I cleaned most of the fights on first try, with zero knockouts, during my half-assed attempt to do a 2nd run. So that Codex pet wouldn't actually change shit.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I wasn't expecting them to tackle balancing so soon, but they have to touch up the encounters as well, not only numbers, so that will probably take longer. I am still salty Sawyer posts in that forum and it seems it's influencing his decisions. Burn it down.

Sawyer's attempt at placating bunch of fallout 4 players that not only don't understand the game and can't play it but flat out don't know what they want and lack critical analysis skills is actually frustrating. It's because of those cuckolds that can't even string together a working tactics order that game is as easy as it is now. Since they couldn't beat the first encounter in beta we have this walk in the park.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Pretty sure you can blaze through the endgame, at high level that is, without any specific build or gear. A bunch of exceptional/superb basic items would do the trick.

ie. revise the fucking monsters sawyer.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just used scald that gained a power point from critting with her 1 handed fast attacking dagger to fus ro dah bunch of enemies right into slicken spell, and fighter finished them off.

I think this was the most intelligent thing I ever did in this game, and that's only because I was level 3 and just didn't have massive amount of abilities yet.

So much potential. So much disappointment as the game is simply not balanced around clever use of small amount of power points and is, simply put, broken.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh for fucks sake, Josh. . I've done 1 full playthrough, then 20 hours of 2nd run, and then 20 hours of 3rd one. Each time with entirely different builds and lineup and each time the game was far too fucking easy.

Beef up the monsters before rolling out a patch full of nerfs.

Fairfax

Arcane
I am still salty Sawyer posts in that forum and it seems it's influencing his decisions. Burn it down.
They've already influenced his decisions. The removal of vancian magic, the new health system, romances, easier difficulty, story mode, and level scaling were all goon-friendly changes. According to Roguey, they also hated Durance and the GM, so that could explain the new companions as well.
Roguey even bragged that Sawyer wouldn't give in to their complaints, but it turned out to be the opposite. :M

Josh subtly lets goons know that he's not going to give in to their anti-Vancian whining, considering he's on the record as someone who believes sequels should feel like their predecessors:

You can certainly make everything be encounter-based, including how consumables work. It's going to feel a lot different.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Imagine when casual Billy comes across sibilant susurrus, he clearly enjoys wasting more time looking in the dictionary than playing the actual game:lol:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That is bad writing,he got that power just to show that you can die in this game from text.
Sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? How the fuck a god of DEATH have power to KILL character in one blow is an example of bad writing? I mean what else you want? Show more creativity and invent way that god of DEATH should show that he is a god of death, beside killing. Or what you meant by this? Also you can die from text in several places, not only in Rymrgand lair.
While they don't use any powers to nuke the fucking statue.
Maybe because they don't want destroy world again, like it was with Abydon? I mean they was created to protect world, not fucking nuke whole world every time when they like it. Not to mention that killing a god have consequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom