Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate IWD 1 or 2?

Prime Junta

I liked IWD1 more. It has a hand-crafted feel IWD2 lacks, and is just beautifully atmospheric from start to finish. Some fantastic encounters too, and a lot of variety in them.

IWD2 has better mechanics and a somewhat less nonsensical story, but big swathes of it feel just barely finished, and there's too much repetitive fighting. There's a cool fight, then the same fight again, then another time, and sometimes once more for good measure, then repeat with the next good fight.

Edit, oh, and Heart of Winter is pure :incline:.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I much prefer IWD1 over IWD2. Finished IWD1 many times and could easily go back to it today. However found it extremely hard to get through IWD2. Finally made the decision a couple of years ago to finally finish IWD2 and pushed myself through to the end. Disappointing overall and never want to touch it again.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
IWD2 is unfinished product from a dying studio with no resources, so not a fair comparison. It's such a pity IWD1 is no longer available free of Beamdogs taint.

Beamdog should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. A cookie anyone?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Any ideas on where you can find a digital copy of the untainted version of IWD?

groundhog

Educated
Any ideas on where you can find a digital copy of the untainted version of IWD?
If you buy IWD Enhanced Edition from gog it includes the classic IWD Complete (Original IWD + Heart of Winter + Trials of the Luremaster).

Theldaran

Liturgist
Nobody makes an IWD clone because I think it was deeply overshadowed by the BGs, plus Diablo II (yes, they make Diablo II clones). I'm not saying it failed commercially (as they did a second part), but it didn't do great either. So, devs wrongly assume IWD clones would botch. I'd gladly play them.

In 2000, though, IWD was the go-to game if you enjoyed BG, despite their differences.

Probably, for future D&D games, imitating IWD would be better than imitating BG.

As for my preference, IWD1 all the way. I couldn't manage to finish IWD2. I think it's a game you have to force yourself to play through.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both are pretty good actually. IWD 1 is better in most regards but IWD 2 isn't as bad as it is made by ppl. The way HoW is implemented into IWD1 is a bit stupid tho, if you go there mid game you will be horribly op for the base game once you get back.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The order from best to worst: IWD3, the one Sawyer will make soon, IWD, and then IWD2.

I am going to have to give it to IWD3 on the combat, as it it turn based and sparse density of NPCs makes for a desperate game, always feeling isolated, and the atmosphere makes me feel like I am part of the game. IWD3 is much like IWD1.

I did enjoy IWD2 as well, but not to the extent of the first and third game.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So I got the game up and running but I realized that a wide-screen mod probably would be a good idea. Do you guys know of any available one for IWD without the expansion?

iguana_trader

Novice
I play IE games in 640x480 resolution, but maybe the G3 mod will work since it is also made for bg1.
Otherwise, embrace the pixels!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom