Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

Alkarl

Learned
Use a napkin and your hands like a civilized barbarian.

Saw this post before I read mustawds quote and thought we were still talking about mapping, like, damn Roguey, that's fuckin' hardcore! :salute:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those who played fallout and arcanum should have no problem playing Dark Sun shattered lands; world of xeen and wizardry 7.

I cannot into ASCII/Wireframe though.
YMMV. For me, ASCII is fine, even beautiful at times, whereas wireframe horrible. I mean, even Amiga had stencil vectors

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
There's a certain amount of "chopsticks elitism" here where just because something is old doesn't mean it's good or better. We don't still shit in outhouses when we have indoor plumbing, why use chopsticks when forks are available?

Because depending on what kind of food you eat, eating with chopsticks is much faster than using forks

I completed Wasteland a few years ago and it was a complete waste of time I only went through because I didn't have anything particularly better to do.

I agree with this statement. Wasteland and Wizardry 6 were only fun for me in the way that visiting an old farmhouse museum is "fun." In fact I would call Wizardry 6 shitting-in-an-outhouse level of fun.

Roguey is an amusing fella, but I wouldn't trust his opinion on older games.

Also, I'm not quite sure what shitting-in-an-outhouse fun is. For me, W6 is one of the best tb-based blobbers that stood the test of time. I has the perfect mix of abstract and concrete dungeon design, some nice puzzles, endless fun in party-building and the interface is dead easy. I kinda get when people have problems with inscrutable interfaces in older games, but W6 really doesn't suffer from it, it's easy to get into and extremely well-designed. The only valid complain is the EGA graphics, which I like but I can sort of understand why people wouldn't go for it. But the core gameplay is just great and nothing about that is outdated. That's the reason I still play old games like W6, not because I think older is automatically better, but because in some cases, there are no modern games that are even on the same level as some of the old ones.

Getting games to run was a challenge in itself. You needed to do all sorts of memory manager and driver shenanigans just to play many games. You never knew if your sound card or mouse drivers would work right.

I don't remember having much of a problem with drivers, but getting memory sorted out to run games, that is actually a valid complaint, that was annoying, but once you've learned to do it went away as well

Eventually we got the DOS box emulator which helped immensely, though it still takes time to iron out the speed, graphics, and sound issues, you have to monkey around with the settings. DOSbox has never been particularly user-friendly

Sorry, but Dosbox is dead easy to use. Yes, you have to fiddle around with the settings, but you don't need to be a Neanderthal to get it to run

Good Old Games has also been a godsend of course, and can probably be credited with reviving much interest in the classics simply by packaging the games in a nice, convenient installer that sets up DOSbox for you, and those great manual scans, code wheel scans, hintbooks, etc.

Wrong again, GOG is nice, but people playing old DOS games (because that what's GOG was mostly about in the beginning, and there are so many more platforms than just PC) has always been a thing. People who can't set up dosbox are not the kind of people who would finished old games anyway, even if they came with a nice and easy setup. Why do you think GOG's main business these days is modern and not old games. Not because there aren't any worthy old games anymore to publish, it's because these games were always niche and there's more money in selling new games

makchanka

Arbiter
Because those old classics have aged poorly and life is too short to play games with garbage graphics and poor controls. That is reality. Even i am an oldfag and can't stomach most old games.

There are many hypocrite oldfags who cling to their nostalgia in order to get codex-cred because they played obscure and old games most haven't, but if they were honest, they would admit this: There is no point in playing the classics today, unless you are studying game design for professional reasons or something.

Truth be told, the oldest playable classics for most are the original Fallouts and the Infinity engine games. Older than that and you enter rotten territory. Even the original Diablo sucks to play today. Try it.

You are wrong.

Ultima VI is amazing and hilarious how dare you

Cael

Arcane

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Those who played fallout and arcanum should have no problem playing Dark Sun shattered lands; world of xeen and wizardry 7.

I cannot into ASCII/Wireframe though.
YMMV. For me, ASCII is fine, even beautiful at times, whereas wireframe horrible. I mean, even Amiga had stencil vectors

I'm not a wireframe fetishist like aweigh, but I don't mind them. If the dungeon is well designed, the graphics don't matter much

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I just don't like Blobbers. I've tried to get into them multiple times, started with the more modern ones like Grimrock so I could try to ease into it but I can't. I just find them boring.

Covenant

Savant
Or rather, I dislike mapping.

No disagreement here. I'm a total auto-map whore.

Yeah, attitudes toward auto-mapping tend to be my barometer for that 'chopsticks elitism' thing you mentioned in your previous post.

Speaking of the classics and their playability today, I've been trying to make inroads on Blade of Destiny lately (the original, obviously). It's painful. Now I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find some RPGs released this year that are just as bad in terms of UI/wasting the player's time, but I'm also equally sure no one will be talking about those games 25 years after they were released.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Older rpgs were pretty hardcore back then.

Just completed my first quest in World of Xeen: getting the piece of shit to work. Downloaded World of Xeen from some abandonware site.

Read some notes online and someone mentioned changing the IRQ. The setting in my dosbox was set to seven and the notes that came with the game showed it set to five. Anytime voice acting played the game would freeze.

So I changed my dosbox IRQ sound to 5. Works now but it lags a bit still.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron

Just completed my first quest in World of Xeen: getting the piece of shit to work. Downloaded World of Xeen from some abandonware site.

Read some notes online and someone mentioned changing the IRQ. The setting in my dosbox was set to seven and the notes that came with the game showed it set to five. Anytime voice acting played the game would freeze.

Welcome to the 90s. Now create a boot-disk containing a autoexec.bat and config.sys that makes 600kb of base memory available.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
People who can't set up dosbox are not the kind of people who would finished old games anyway, even if they came with a nice and easy setup.

You are wrong. The problem is DOSBOX is a barrier that begs the question: "why bother going through all the trouble to set up the emulator if I may not even like the games?" You may not even know the game is running right or wrong, which adds insult to injury. Plus I doubt everyone has an old CRT monitor for the true™ retro experience. Looking at giant pixels isn't my idea of fun.

Also, lol at the guy who said he still played Akalabeth. Akalabeth has aged like absolute garbage in almost any way I can think of, and it is far surpassed by games that came later.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Gog version works great!

almondblight

Arcane
In terms of abundance of trash mobs, focus on variable time rewards, and ratio of busywork to challenging gameplay, a lot of the old classics are closer to JRPGs and MMORPGS.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who can't set up dosbox are not the kind of people who would finished old games anyway, even if they came with a nice and easy setup.

You are wrong. The problem is DOSBOX is a barrier that begs the question: "why bother going through all the trouble to set up the emulator if I may not even like the games?"

I have a generic dosbox installation on my work laptop, so I can play dosgames during the commute to kill some time.

When I want to try a new DOS game I haven't tried before, I download it from an abandonware site, drag the .exe on my Dosbox-shortcut, and it automatically starts.
The most I ever have to do is run setup.exe to configure sound if it doesn't run right away.

Playing DOS games with Dosbox like that is even less effort than playing most games that run natively on windows. Drag .exe on shortcut, BOOM game starts, 90% of the time it also runs fine from the get go.

wow so much trouble

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The codex was built on a foundation of isometric RPG lovers. All this talk about UIs is bunk, it's just that iso lovers are mostly casualtard posers. They see the current decline and think they are the hardcore greybeards of the fandom, but they were the newfag simpletons in the 90s. The problem is there aren't many places for goldbox/wizardry/ultima fans to go, so they have to hang out with the kids (who aren't really kids anymore) now to have any place to go.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fallout, Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2 leave everything that came before, and after them, in the dust.

Oldfags and newfags alike can attempt to argue against this fact, but they will only be laughed off stage.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Fallout, Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2 leave everything that came before, and after them, in the dust.

Oldfags and newfags alike can attempt to argue against this fact, but they will only be laughed off stage.

I have no means to argue against them and I wouldn't wish to. If they fulfil everything you want from an RPG then happy-awesome for you. However, none of these are D&D. If someone's primary interest is, shock... horror... D&D-style fantasy either closely or loosely taken from or inspired by D&D, then your 'glorious incline' doesn't offer anything. This is not an argument about whether the games you listed are better or worse than someone else's personal list of incline, nor whether any of the games you mention are objectively the best incline, it's just stating that you seem to have a personal preference for Science Fiction...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom