Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
-The lazy encounters that mostly consisted in bounty like encounters, a bunch of enemies waiting in the middle of the field in circle formation waiting for you to kill them.
:nocountryforshitposters:

PoE1 - identical blobs of Xaurips planted randomly over the entire map and droping 20 shields and 15 spears.

PoE2 - Every world map encounter has unique location, unique CYOA cut scene with skills checks, often a unique loot and at least some of them attempt to have encounter design that will put the player in tactical disadvantage.

Yeah, it's definitely Deadfire that has lazy encounters. Get the fuck out of here.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
-The ending is 99% the same, no matter what you do in the game, you can butcher the entire Arhipelago and there's little to no change.
I got a completely different ending in my 2nd playthrough, maybe only the port Maje slides were the same.

I'm sorry but a slider is not the biggest motivation for another playthrough, I'm talking about the way you approach to get another ending, different routes, different interactions, maybe find a way to kill Eothas or I don't know, branch it a little, maybe they should have ditched the garbage VO and give me another route?

frajaq

Erudite
-The companions that seem to share the same happy go let's save the world personality

Yeah this thing specifically bothered me a bit, usually in these games it's good to have at least one """edgy""" companion to balance things out in conversations and reactions, like Morrigan in DA:O, Durance/Devil in PoE 1, Edwin/Viconia/Dorn in BG, etc etc

Quillon

Arcane
-The ending is 99% the same, no matter what you do in the game, you can butcher the entire Arhipelago and there's little to no change.
I got a completely different ending in my 2nd playthrough, maybe only the port Maje slides were the same.

I'm sorry but a slider is not the biggest motivation for another playthrough, I'm talking about the way you approach to get another ending, different routes, different interactions, maybe find a way to kill Eothas or I don't know, branch it a little, maybe they should have ditched the garbage VO and give me another route?

Aren't there 5 ways to approach the ending? 4 factions + going alone?

I went alone, regretted it :P It felt like the stalemate caused the worst endings for everyone.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
-The lazy encounters that mostly consisted in bounty like encounters, a bunch of enemies waiting in the middle of the field in circle formation waiting for you to kill them.

PoE1 - identical blobs of Xaurips planted randomly over the entire map and droping 20 shields and 15 spears.

PoE2 - Every world map encounter has unique location, unique CYOA cut scene with skills checks, often a unique loot and at least some of them attempt to have encounter design that will put the player in tactical disadvantage.

Yeah, it's definitely Deadfire that has lazy encounters. Get the fuck out of here.

A unique location is what for you? A small empty map with a couple of enemies alligned in a geometrical formation waiting for you to magically appear and kill them? How many of them were really unique, how many of them didn't consist in you not coming out of stealth with a wizard one shoting everyone, because being 2 feet away yelling spells doesn't seem to bother anyone. Please, stop being such a blind cock sucker and realise that the game is not well liked and for good reasons, maybe you should reconsider your tastes.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The game doesn't offer you different routes to approach the ending? How about siding with one of 4 different factions, each with different final set of quests, or ignoring them all and flying solo? Funny, sounds exactly like New Vegas to me.

A unique location is what for you? A small empty map with a couple of enemies alligned in a geometrical formation waiting for you to magically appear and kill them? How many of them were really unique, how many of them didn't consist in you not coming out of stealth with a wizard one shoting everyone, because being 2 feet away yelling spells doesn't seem to bother anyone. Please, stop being such a blind cock sucker and realise that the game is not well liked and for good reasons, maybe you should reconsider your tastes.

I'd be more than happy to reconsider my tastes, as soon as you are capable of making a good argument for it, instead of copypasting the most retarded opinions you can find on Steam forums that can be debunked within 5 seconds.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I am not sure I understand, the ending CYOA and battles are determined by faction choice and what you did with the dragons and/or undead. The Principi faction requires you to clean up the leadership and acquire a special ship before you can go to Urkaizo. Alternatively, you can even give all the factions the finger and go it alone.

There also is :
Eothas can be convinced just to destroy Eora. Alternatively, you can play your cards wrong and he can kill you and proceed with his plan anyway.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What do you think - what was the key ingredient that lead to Deadfire looking like D:OS2's poor cousin?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The game doesn't offer you different routes to approach the ending? How about siding with one of 4 different factions, each with different final set of quests, or ignoring them all and flying solo? Funny, sounds exactly like New Vegas to me.

I'd be more than happy to reconsider my tastes, as soon as you are capable of making a good argument for it, instead of copypasting the most retarded opinions you can find on Steam forums that can be debunked within 5 seconds.

Debunk everything I said then, you just ''debunked'' one problem, there's more to debunk oh great Debunker of PoE 2.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I went alone, regretted it :P It felt like the stalemate caused the worst endings for everyone.

It's all fluff, you take a side with one faction, another comes agaisnt you, there's a lame CYAO to the big battle and from there it's the same crap, defeat the guardian, talk to Eothas, suck his dick or not, he still does what he want. This is not proper branching, it's the same crap as Mass Effect ending, chose the right color and watch some crappy ass sliders. No, there should have been a way to stop Eothas, cut the VO budget and give you a different route, it's not rocket science. Now a lot of people won't have the same motivation to replay for the story because they know whatever you do, Eothas still does whatever the fuck he wants with or without you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I meant fate was outside human control, not gods being outside of fate. My point with the MotB example is to show that somehow gods shouldn't be portrayed just as powerful humans, there needs to be something more.
Now I get it, agreed that gods shouldn't be just powerful humans, but disagree about fate outside human control since: 1) It would be boring and predictable in my opinion (and no amount of good writing can fix it), where you sense of wonder and discovery anyway? 2) This trick used by thousands different authors from thousands cultures. From ancient Slavic kingdoms to ancient Greece myths repeat tale "there was prophecy -> guy tried to change it-> fail". I dunno about you, but I have itch on these cheap tricks (they cheap because tale about "hero who broke prophecy" need much more thinking) similar to itch on clones of Tolkien's scenario in game industry.
Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.
the last time they tried that they got the Saint's War. It was kind of a key plot point if you were paying attention.
And world ending is better alternative?

did anyone else name their islands after codexers?
Nah,i named them more practically like "cannibal island" or "mine island". Exploration was underwhelming at best.

Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.
It's a metaphor of real life. Often someone of great authority and prestige turns out to be quite a mediocre guy when you get to see him in person and get an idea about his actual qualities.

That is true,still that guy doesn't loos his power ;). While the gods don't have an actual power outside of what is written. They can do all this shit yet they can't blow up a fucking statue....fuck off you dipshit writers!

Well actually there are God who can kill your character in mid game if you act like "tough guy" during side quests, it's Rymrgand in his realm. If you will be treating him to provoke fight, he would be like "lol, die" and you are dead. I know maybe it's not enough, but it's something.
That is bad writing,he got that power just to show that you can die in this game from text. While they don't use any powers to nuke the fucking statue.

What was the implication of what Wael says when you're at the observatory?
Wait for the DLC to see.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

It's all fluff, you take a side with one faction, another comes agaisnt you, there's a lame CYAO to the big battle and from there it's the same crap, defeat the guardian, talk to Eothas, suck his dick or not, he still does what he want. This is not proper branching, it's the same crap as Mass Effect ending, chose the right color and watch some crappy ass sliders. No, there should have been a way to stop Eothas, cut the VO budget and give you a different route, it's not rocket science. Now a lot of people won't have the same motivation to replay for the story because they know whatever you do, Eothas still does whatever the fuck he wants with or without you.
There is though,
You can convince Eothas not to destroy the wheel and empower Berath.

Malpercio

Arcane
Daily reminder that PoE 2 is falling worse than Clinton's tits on steam, almost on place 45 and briefly lost it to Battletech, another pile of coded shit. The game also can barely muster more than 10k players on a daily basis, which means the game failed to attract even those who bought it. Flopity of flop 2:lol:
Why do you guys want this game to fail anyway?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No argument against that. Sure, in Greek mythology the Olympians mimic human traits of character, but this is accepted as something normal by the mortals, no one acts like they are falling short of his expectations.

Regarding PoE gods, they are powerful, but do their human follies impact the reverence of mortals?

That reminds me of something interesting about Eothas:
During the finale conversation, he recounts how Engwithans would line the streets in celebration, as if it were a personal memory or memories of his. Do the gods remember their past lives?

There is another line to the extent where he said the Engwithans' answer to their plight was to combine souls into new entities, and so kith could find a new solution themselves. Relative to other gods, I did not get the sense that Eothas really thought of himself as a god.
You are overthinking it,most likely it had different writer from the first game,and he didn't knew well enough the lore from the first game. The writing is nonsensical. Maybe thought that it will look cool to have it in the game and splash it in.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

There is though,
You can convince Eothas not to destroy the wheel and empower Berath.

I'm not talking about the final dialogue branching, I'm talking about different routes to the ending, kill Eothas before reaching the wheel, a different map, a different encounter and it shouldn't have been that costing to make, hell the main story is shorter than 5 hours, there's not much to restructurate in terms of factions. Whispering sweet words in Eothas ear and tell him to choose green because you don't like blue is not something I want to replay the game for.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Debunk everything I said then, you just ''debunked'' one problem, there's more to debunk oh great Debunker of PoE 2.

Yes, there's so many flaws in PoE2, and yet you couldn't actually come up with any yourself, so you had to go around Steam forums looking for some negative reviews to copypaste. And you still managed to copypaste ones that don't even make sense.

This is what happens when you tryhard to be edgy but don't actually have anything intelligent to say. Wipe the egg yolks of your face and stop posting before you dig yourself any deeper.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The marketing tagline Hunt a god. Save your soul.
That's not interesting. That's not even what the game is about. Poor ass communication.

cruel lack of multiplayer, ofc
I think a tagline that accented more on the open world sailing would have been more exciting. But this is supposed to be just one part of the game. Instead they tried to put the accent on "we have an epic story". Which was indeed a bad call.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Yes, there's so many flaws in PoE2, and yet you couldn't actually come up with any yourself, so you had to go around Steam forums looking for some negative reviews to copypaste. And you still managed to copypaste ones that don't even make sense.

This is what happens when you tryhard to be edgy but don't actually have anything intelligent to say. Wipe the egg yolks of your face and stop posting before you dig yourself any deeper.

But I already said my main complaints in others posts and I pretty much agree with others complaints, so why are you such a stuck up little bitch? Yes, PoE 2 is full of flaws, that's why it's bleeding players at a faster rate than a punctured lung. So you should say goodbye to your sweet PoE for now ,because papa Feargus is going to take little PoE to the animal shelter and I don't think it's going to be put up for adoption:lol:

jf8350143

Liturgist
That is bad writing,he got that power just to show that you can die in this game from text. While they don't use any powers to nuke the fucking statue.

So a tsunami and volcanic eruption isn't "using power"? Killing watcher is piece of cake because you are just a mortal, Ethoas is a god.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know, men. I'm down in the Old City at level 7 and I'm having a blast. I'm getting my butt kicked, but somehow managing. There are mobs that have three red skulls above their heads, and after a few tries, I have beaten them. I should probably not have gone in yet, but the urge to see it was too strong. I rally like this dungeon. A great change from all the small and boring islands. The one thing that I can't beat yet, in the Old City is a big ass mob that I won't spoil. No, it's not a dragon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom