Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.
It's a metaphor of real life. Often someone of great authority and prestige turns out to be quite a mediocre guy when you get to see him in person and get an idea about his actual qualities.
Except they are powerful and are in no way 'mediocre.'
"gods bickering" is pretty much the entirety of Greek mythology summed up in 2 words. Hestia grew so tired of their bickering that she gave her throne to Dionysus.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, are we playing Sawyer's interpretation of Wizard of Oz?

I agree about "glorious leaders" and their qualities, but we talking about a gods in computer game, there not always metaphors create fan.
Jokes aside, Josh has established it since the PoE kickstarter that he likes more low-key stories.

IMO this is just one more instance where a pereference of his clashes with a defining feature of a neo-IE game, which have always been more on the "epic" side.

Except they are powerful and are in no way 'mediocre.'
"gods bickering" is pretty much the entirety of Greek mythology summed up in 2 words. Hestia grew so tired of their bickering that she gave her throne to Dionysus.
No argument against that. Sure, in Greek mythology the Olympians mimic human traits of character, but this is accepted as something normal by the mortals, no one acts like they are falling short of his expectations.

Regarding PoE gods, they are powerful, but do their human follies impact the reverence of mortals?

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Still didnt finish the game (70 hours, going to Ashen Maw). As soon as I finish I will start to study the game files and work with mods.

AwesomeButton could be amazing if we could upload our edits to someplace to share with the community. You think this could be possible in SS?

Shadenuat

Arcane
IMO this is just one more instance where a pereference of his clashes with a defining feature of a neo-IE game, which have always been more on the "epic" side.
They were moderately epic. Nothing on the level Deadfire has (gigantic god goes around, destroys the whole foundation of the setting and ruins it's cosmology in a twist). Compared to other Forgotten Realms lore, I'd say BG god stuff was almost routine.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Daily reminder that PoE 2 is falling worse than Clinton's tits on steam, almost on place 45 and briefly lost it to Battletech, another pile of coded shit. The game also can barely muster more than 10k players on a daily basis, which means the game failed to attract even those who bought it. Flopity of flop 2:lol:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
PoE's gods behave like classic multi-pantheon deities. After millennia of infighting they have developed some uneasy truce where they keep each other in check. So when one of them goes nuts, it reduces the rest of them to petty squabbling. They cannot take action in the mortal realm without exposing themselves to buttfucking from other gods.

When you enter Rymrands dimension, where the rest of pantheon has no say in the matters, he will just squash you like an ant if you fuck with him.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is currently on second page of global top sellers, while PoE1 is on the first page. This is hilarious.

That's with a mere 25% discount. Good sign for future PoE2 sales.

The Banner Saga strategy: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10499

the studio is now more focused on the whole franchise rather than an individual game.

"Those things help, and then the launch of The Banner Saga 2 drove sales of Banner Saga. If you look at The Banner Saga as a franchise - all the platforms and both the games - it's generating about the same revenue... It's like building a wedge. Banner Saga 3 might sell a third of what Banner Saga 2 did, but it should lift up the other games. That's what we're betting on."

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, it's sure funny but a very good move when you think about it. Pillars brand had a huge exposure in the media the last few weeks so it makes sense to put first game on a discount and capitalize on the hype. At the end it doesn't matter which one makes them money.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Still didnt finish the game (70 hours, going to Ashen Maw). As soon as I finish I will start to study the game files and work with mods.

AwesomeButton could be amazing if we could upload our edits to someplace to share with the community. You think this could be possible in SS?
It's possible to make a section on the site where users can upload their .gamedatabundle files, but it will be quite limited in functionality at the start - you would have an upload form and you'd be given a link to your file. Not very useful. I considered doing this, but I thought people would opt for just using nexus for publishing their mods, for its obvious advantages.

This thing is pointless without search and replace regexp.
I mean, it doesnt even have a filter...
It's fairly limited at the moment, compared to my initial plan. Yet it still allows you to edit a few thousand objects and jump between referenced objects stored in different files, with zero Find and Replace ;)

Filters are coming. I am aware that they will be useful, but they didn't make it into the first release, same as a number of other things. The first release is just the start though. It's been just two weeks since the game's release and there is a lot of time ahead for the editor to grow in features. Filters are just one of many things I've planned. Another is scaling of certain numerical values on a big... well, scale, with the click of a button. However, to expand a little on development problems, I'm past the initial "hack it together fast so it's available asap" period. I'll spend some time polishing code quality and try to improve the performance, add support for more types of objects, and only then add new features.

That's with a mere 25% discount. Good sign for future PoE2 sales.

The Banner Saga strategy: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10499
That's something I've been thinking - they'll soon (probably E3 soon), conclude a deal with Paradox where they'll start doing bundles of PoE+Deadfire for like $69-$79 and that's where they'll really start caching in. One game comes practically for free.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yeah, it's sure funny but a very good move when you think about it. Pillars brand had a huge exposure in the media the last few weeks so it makes sense to put first game on a discount and capitalize on the hype. At the end it doesn't matter which one makes them money.

It matters because PoE1 is a merely mediocre game aside from white march. Despite the fact I enjoyed it because of it appealing to some of my personal tastes. Deadfire feels like a much better game at every turn.

AwesomeButton

Patron
A 3 years old game with a recently released sequel benefits in sales, among other things, for the fact that it's been staying on people's wishlists longer.

Xotiphile , and everyone, the quickest alternative to a filter is to just hit ctrl+F in your browser and start typing the name of what you're looking for. It will work as in any other webpage. The list of objects is completely rendered when the page is opened, so the search function of the browser will go through it. But I'll add a filter ASAP.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

It matters because PoE1 is a merely mediocre game aside from white march. Despite the fact I enjoyed it because of it appealing to some of my personal tastes. Deadfire feels like a much better game at every turn.

And if you look on Obsidians forum and Steam, people seem to dislike a lot of things from PoE 2.

-The lazy and short narrative
-The companions that seem to share the same happy go let's save the world personality
-The open worldness that contributed to nothing but waste time and hinder a tighter narrative
-The lazy encounters that mostly consisted in bounty like encounters, a bunch of enemies waiting in the middle of the field in circle formation waiting for you to kill them.
-The disgustingly easy difficulty
-The disgusting amount of bugs
-The ending is 99% the same, no matter what you do in the game, you can butcher the entire Arhipelago and there's little to no change.

These are major design problems and no amount of tweaking will make this game the shining sequel that should have been.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's flawed don't get me wrong, but it's better than first game. I also don't mind the short main story because I think Obsidian writers just shit the bed when they want to make major overarching philosophical and theological narratives. New Vegas' main story was short too, especially if you went for House ending, there was what 4 quests total? It was also similarly paced and gated.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
No argument against that. Sure, in Greek mythology the Olympians mimic human traits of character, but this is accepted as something normal by the mortals, no one acts like they are falling short of his expectations.

Regarding PoE gods, they are powerful, but do their human follies impact the reverence of mortals?

That reminds me of something interesting about Eothas:
During the finale conversation, he recounts how Engwithans would line the streets in celebration, as if it were a personal memory or memories of his. Do the gods remember their past lives?

There is another line to the extent where he said the Engwithans' answer to their plight was to combine souls into new entities, and so kith could find a new solution themselves. Relative to other gods, I did not get the sense that Eothas really thought of himself as a god.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
It's flawed don't get me wrong, but it's better than first game. I also don't mind the short main story because I think Obsidian writers just shit the bed when they want to make major overarching philosophical and theological narratives. New Vegas' main story was short too, especially if you went for House ending, there was what 4 quests total? It was also similarly paced and gated.

Yes, but how many possible endings were in New Vegas, hell you got one where you can control an army of robots and take over the wasteland. This game has little to no reactivity, like I said, go ahead and kill everyone in Deadfire and tell me if something changed, nada, it's 99% the same route, same interaction.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It's possible that all Gods inherited the collective memories of Engwithans they come from, and indeed that could be an interesting thing to explore.
It was a small line, but the implications are interesting, especially if they inherited the memories of the animancers that created everything in the first place.

Eothas was pretty chill and benign, relative to the other gods at least.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
-The ending is 99% the same, no matter what you do in the game, you can butcher the entire Arhipelago and there's little to no change.
I got a completely different ending in my 2nd playthrough, maybe only the port Maje slides were the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom