Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Souls game ?

Best souls game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I thought all jap made rpg-likes go in jrpg forum - no matter the sub-genre. What's this thread still doing in RPG discussions ?
Infinitron
Nioh alone has better combat, better stats & skills system and better crafting system than most of the crap discussed around these here parts nowadays.
:troll:

Nioh is also a very easy game.

Fight the dancer at level 10. 1 hit = death. I've done it, but it takes considerable skill and patience. DS3 is the best of the Souls games. Don't farm, just tackle challenges as they come with whatever you have at the time.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
DS1 had by far the best world building I have seen in a 3D game. Gameplay; DS3 is by far the best.

Ash

Arcane
Strongly disagree. DS3's level design is pretty bland compared to 1 and 2 (I'm talking things like enemy placement, layouts, exploration, environmental hazards etc). It abandoned certain improvements made in DS2. While not strictly against its gameplay quality it straight rehashed a lot from DS1, which made me enjoy its gameplay less than I may otherwise. The multiplayer pissed me the fuck off too. It's my least favourite in the series, though still a decent game ofc and above 99% of the other games of the past decade.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Demon Soul's has alot of merits.

Like i said in the Level Design thread, Dark Souls II may be for the most part be mediocre, but it's good levels are fucking great (and no, those levels aren't just the ones found in the DLC's). Nothing has yet surpassed Crown of the Sunken/Old Iron King.

Nioh has better combat than any Soulsborne game, and I agree with Matthewmatosis when he said the combat in the soulsborne games isn't that great. Also Nioh is actually an ARPG (and a good one at that) unlike DS/BB.

But still the best one is hand down Severance.

Besides being, unlike Dark Souls, an actual ARPG with good combat mechanics it's the only game where I can properly play as fucking Conan. The dungeon crawlling and Sword & Sorcery setting are also great.

holding-the-blade-severance-blade-of-darkness-10277704-1024-768.jpg

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS1 had by far the best world building I have seen in a 3D game. Gameplay; DS3 is by far the best.

Depends on what you mean "gameplay". DS3 is the pretties, smoothest and mechanically most advanced. But it's dumb, dull, repetitive, without any spark, soul or original idea. I'll take the older, clumsier and far more magical DeS or DS1 any day.

Silva

Arcane
Bloodborne combat is too dull, and too fast, with far too few options in terms of weapons/equipment
:hmmm:

Bro, BB is the only one where different weapons actually change your entire style of combat, instead of being samey sword n23 only with different name like Souls do. And if you count the Old Hunters expansion, it's a fuckton of weapons.

You could argue that Souls offer more magic-using builds, though, and I'd agree with that.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron

Depends on what you mean "gameplay". DS3 is the pretties, smoothest and mechanically most advanced. But it's dumb, dull, repetitive, without any spark, soul or original idea. I'll take the older, clumsier and far more magical DeS or DS1 any day.

It is definitely the boss fights that made DS3 for me. The boss fights in DS3 are by far the best of the whole action 3D genre of hitting shit until it dies. The level design does make it much weaker in all the other areas compared to DS. DS has the best world design I have ever seen in the 3D action hit it until it dies genre.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I never liked the Zelda series aside from The Link to the Past and The Minish Cap. I spent many hours trying to like Ocarina of Time, but I couldn't stand it.

The only action game that comes close would be Bayonetta. I tried playing DmC over and over and I tried to like it, but it just didn't sit with me.

No 3D action game that I have ever played has boss battles as good as DS3. I can not think of a single game in the genre that has challenged me in ways that weren't cheap. I think the Dancer is a tough boss to beat when you first approach her around level 10, and it is one hell of an accomplishment. I never have felt the thrill and adrenaline rush from any other boss fight in another game.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah DS3 bosses are what save the game from being absolute crap. But they tend to be too technical and lack the soul of other entries. Fighting big fella with big stick in different custom repeatedly gets tiresome. That's why, for all consistently good bosses, only the Lothric brothers are truly memorable for me. Sister Friede could have been there if her fight wasn't so long and cheesy.

Because of that, BB end up having the best bosses. Ludwig alone is better than anything DS3 has to offer.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
I can not think of a single game in the genre that has challenged me in ways that weren't cheap
DaS3 bosses are all about being cheap and they abused the "boss has 9 lives" gimmick way more than they should have.
I think the Dancer is a tough boss to beat when you first approach her around level 10
Bloody irrelevant. People have killed the Dancer at level 1, naked without dodging.

If you stumbled upon the Dancer at level 10 on your first run, you are either metagaming or a psychopath that murders any NPC they encounter, both irrelevant to the actual quality of the fight or of the game. Hell, I would even say that bringing up the Dancer is actually shitting on DaS3 because what could've been a beautiful sequence break ends up being a nothingburger. You can't just say fuck it, kill the Dancer and skip straight to the castle like you could with the Master Key in DaS1 or just paying the toll and skipping having to kill all the big bads in DaS2.

The challenge and game mechanics is what made it really fun. I used dodge to get in quickly and strike. I did find that I could move out of the way of certain attacks based on her hit area and used that to my advantage. After 100 or so deaths (quite literally) I found myself knowing how to counter her without much effort. It was a really enjoyable boss fight.

Can you tell me more about the "boss has 9 lives" concept?

I never found the bosses to be cheap. I found them challenging and noticed that they mix up their telegraphed attacks halfway through the attack itself, but that meant I had to understand the boss reasonably well to beat them, and after beating them I could do it again and again, which felt great. Unfortunately they do lose their challenge after a while, but hopefully when I come back to it again my brain would have forgotten the lessons I learned.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fighting big fella with big stick in different custom repeatedly gets tiresome.

From thought "Oh, people like Artorias? Grate, from now on let's make the majority of bosses in DS2 and DS3 one-on-one duels with fast humanoid opponents".

Unfortunately the majority of the community are mouthbreathers worshipping twitchy, flashy combat so they think the Demon's Souls bosses are "boooooring" (which DS3 has none of), they adore the Artorias type bosses (which DS3 has in spades) and they don't give a fuck about vibe, atmosphere, level design, magic, quirkiness, lore, NPCs, wonderful design ideas or devious little details (nothing of the sort in DS3). That's why they love DS3.

Gerrard

Arcane
The "game mechanics", parry, backstab, and free iframes, is what makes most "difficult" bosses irrelevant. You should never be able to parry a fucking enemy that is twice your height and swings a weapon that is half your weight. And backstab is just a retarded mechanic overall. The guy is jumping all over the place but when you get behind him he suddenly cannot move anymore! Just roll through their attacks and backstab them r00fles!

:russiastronk:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dunno why Severance is in this poll, but I voted for it because Severance rocks.

DaS1 is the best soulsborne game, because it improves on everything that was good in DeS, and because its interconnected world design is still unmatched.

Ash

Arcane
BB is rather overrated by its fans. There's marked gameplay decline in that game. Minor art direction, story and setting incline, yes, but for those that are gameplay-first BB won't impress all that much, though it's still worth playing of course.

Arnust

Savant
The poll IS called "What is the best (Dark) Souls game", after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom