Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There is no phone game better than DraStic

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Discuss...

But seriously, I have played and completed more DS games on my phone than PC games on my PC recently. Dark Spire, Ghost Trick, SMT Strange Journey, VP: Covenant of the Plume, all of them leaps and bounds ahead of all the trash that passes for phone games these days.

PPSSPP runs it a close second but the emulation of DraStic seems better and the dual screen means the on-screen control buttons don't tend to obscure the action as much.

This forum should be moved into JRPG and experience the incline. :smug:

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Yeah, DraStic runs well and can scratch that itch for RPG that us mobile players have, since the Android library is full of trash cash-grabbing titles and imitations. But the DS library is JRPG only, so it can never be truly satisfying to a gentleman with taste.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The DS JRPGs were still fulfilling. It's with 3DS that it began going downhill, less games and not as good.

In fact, DS is a great console for JRPG.

Theldaran

Liturgist
What adapter? Isn't the cartridge socket compatible with DS games?

DS RPGs:

FF3
The world ends with you
Etrian Odyssey I, II, III*
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor*
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2*
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey*
Radiant Historia*
Luminous Arc
7th Dragon
Golden Sun
4 heroes of light
Solatorobo
FF Ring of Fates

...And there's more.

The games marked with * have received a 3DS remake so it's your choice of format.

I haven't played most of these, so they could actually be shit, but they're worth a try.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd add Infinite Space to the list. It's flawed, but still a great DS JRPG.

Plus Dark Spire, don't forget about that.

The DS was a great source of blobbers, and that's a style of game that suits phone gaming down to the ground. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, map out a bit more of a dungeon floor, do a few battles. It's perfect for picking up and playing for short doses. Not surprised no-one is really disagreeing with the central premise that DS games are way ahead of phone games, after all they're professionally produced games that weren't designed as FTP cash cows and had proper art and programming teams behind them.

If I didn't think I'd get murdered by the missus for buying more electronic shit to waste my time with, I'd pick up a 3DS in a heartbeat.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I don't think the portable console public is the same public that plays regular phone games. Nor are they consumed the same way.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Hey, don't forget DosBox Turbo, you can play the Gold Box games, Dark Sun and even Fallout on it. The GBA, Playstation and SNES emulators have some pretty good stuff put together like the Wizardry Llylgamyn collections, a lot of the Final Fantasy catalogue, and a good chunk of the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars catalogues. The App store is not complete trash either, you can get both Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, provided you can stomach the Enhanced Editions of course; not to mention King of Dragon Pass.

But yeah, in terms of sheer quantity, PPSSPP and DraStic alone can run a lot of stuff. Together, those two get you: Elminage Original, Tactics Ogre, Shiren the Wanderer 3, a lot of Dept. Heaven games, Mana Khemia, Growlanser IV, Class of Heroes 2, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, The Dark Spire, two Fire Emblem games (one of them - 12 -among the best of them), most of the Etrian Odyssey series, the FF4 remake, 7th Dragon, and a bunch of other stuff.

Also, if you have a phone gamepad (yes, that is a thing), you can even throw in some action games, Metroidvanias and platformers into the mix, some of which play quite well portably, like the the Metroid games, Igvanias, Monster Hunter, Ys games, etc.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dq9

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom