Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Big Wrangle

My ideal scenario composer would be Josh Culler, but I think we all know the % of that ever happening.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
James Kent (Perturbator) would be my preference for the music composition since his stuff has a darker edge and is more cyberpunk literal, but Klayton (CellDweller, Scandroid) would work too. Although while we wait, this music video is appropriate:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
I'm not in disagreement that the Satellite Reign OST is a good one that matches the setting, but Perturbator is definitely capable of producing less heavy and just as appropriate if commissioned/some stuff is already appropriate. A variety would be nice for the Cyberpunk OST.

Seriously though, you are at the end of the game and you have to make some deadly important decisions (that actually matters, no red/green/blue please) and you hear this:

And a specific combat situation:

There are plenty of examples, but I feel like there is more depth to his works and I'd like to hear that kind of depth in Cyberpunk 2077. The kind of depth you hear with the likes of "Hunt or Be Hunted" in TW3.

KK1001

Arbiter
Looks like CDPR is hiring a combat designer, so I doubt we'll see the game until the next gen of consoles comes out in 2020.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat designer position has been listed enormous times. I doubt it's the case they didn't find any but rather they need more

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
How is there a thread spanning 77 pages on a game about which we know nothing?
complete decline
Simple. You are talking about the Codex ≈2020 RPGOTY :lol:

I don't doubt open world and atmosphere, but I am curious how will their writers do. This is their first original project, after all. Or at least one can hope they won't rip existing literature and cinematography (references are welcome though).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't doubt open world and atmosphere, but I am curious how will their writers do. This is their first original project, after all. Or at least one can hope they won't rip existing literature and cinematography (references are welcome though).
I watched the Witcher 3 making series, and I saw how much of the writing and worldbuilding was their work, so I'm pretty confident in them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I watched the Witcher 3 making series, and I saw how much of the writing and worldbuilding was their work, so I'm pretty confident in them.
Same here. Even though the Witcher is based on Sapkowsky's work, all the writing, dialogues, quests was CD Projekt's own writing. And it turned out great. I have faith in them.

Loostreaks

Learned
The world, ambiance and the writing will be better than anything they've done in the past. They'll probably improve exploration ( last game had pretty messy production, and they've improved in expansions) and fine tune controls at least.
But itemization, leveling, quest design ( featuring different playstyles), overall coherency of rpg and action; complete clusterfuck.
What CDPR is lacking strong lead designers/directors. And they've got a guy who worked on MMOs to design stats/leveling/etc ( Wild Star, I think?) and another with only previous experience on action games/shooters as associate design directors. Also asking on Twitter, what happens when you headshot a guy 10 levels above your own?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Same here. Even though the Witcher is based on Sapkowsky's work, all the writing, dialogues, quests was CD Projekt's own writing. And it turned out great. I have faith in them.

Well, 1 and 3 draw very heavily from the books, with 2 having the story closest to their own they possibly could (and it was great).
But... having the entire world, characters, backstories, and the main story already set in place is not the same as just having the Cyberpunk world. It's a new territory for them. Marcin Blacha is an artist extraordinaire, as long as he is in charge of putting it together, it can't be bad.

When it comes to the main story and characters, there has to be something original, someone's pet project or a collaboration of stories that were built at least as a skeleton in someone's mind years before the project, to give it authenticity.
I hope they have someone with an original vision, and it will have to be, in order to avoid stories already told, through books, anime or movies.

Once they release a trailer with story and character exposition, it will be a lot clearer where it's at.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, 1 and 3 draw very heavily from the books, with 2 having the story closest to their own they possibly could (and it was great).
But... having the entire world, characters, backstories, and the main story already set in place is not the same as just having the Cyberpunk world. It's a new territory for them. Marcin Blacha is an artist extraordinaire, as long as he is in charge of putting it together, it can't be bad.

When it comes to the main story and characters, there has to be something original, someone's pet project or a collaboration of stories that were built at least as a skeleton in someone's mind years before the project, to give it authenticity.
I hope they have someone with an original vision, and it will have to be, in order to avoid stories already told, through books, anime or movies.

Once they release a trailer with story and character exposition, it will be a lot clearer where it's at.
This time around though, they are actively collaborating with the setting author, at least that's the official version. This wasn't the case with Sapkowski.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Also asking on Twitter, what happens when you headshot a guy 10 levels above your own?
Especially funny regarding Cyperpunk, since 2020 didn't have any levels and stat upgrade only possible with cybernetic implants or bioware (not, not THAT Bioware) and the only difference between players and generic street thug is in equipment and said enhancements.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also asking on Twitter, what happens when you headshot a guy 10 levels above your own?
Especially funny regarding Cyperpunk, since 2020 didn't have any levels and stat upgrade only possible with cybernetic implants or bioware (not, not THAT Bioware) and the only difference between players and generic street thug is in equipment and said enhancements.

You do get improvement points to spend boosting your skills. I’m not that worried about how they’ll handle progression. TW3 is closer to Cyberpunk than it might seem: your stats don’t automatically increase when you level up, you just get ability points that, depending on how they’re invested, can unlock new skills or give you small stat boosts. Seems like it would be easy enough to translate that into IPs that can be invested in skills. Mainly you get stronger via better equipment; I just hope they don’t gate gear based on levels like in TW3.

You can also equip mutagens for big bonuses in TW3, which is similar to Cyberpunk style augmentations. Fingers crossed that there’s very little HP inflation and your character will feel as squishy as in the p&p game.

Loostreaks

Learned

True, but you can't go off the rails with that either: especially if designing sandbox/open world. It's what they did in Witcher: flooded the game with too many items with very restrictive "pool" of properties, so it all came down to +damage/resistance.

Only solution I see is they go with Zoned world, like a better version of how Satellite Reign handled it: surveillance, jammers, security levels, patrol routes, reinforcement response time, encounter design, enemy AI and gear, etc: replacing typical video game "difficulty" ( damage dealt/received). It would be a perfect fit for Cyberpunk ( segregation, in class/wealth/technology, is key feature of the setting).

But you need to plan this from day one, and their lead designers are completely unqualified for this.

KK1001

Arbiter
Combat designer position has been listed enormous times. I doubt it's the case they didn't find any but rather they need more

Yeah, I think what they mean is "Encounter Designer" and not a combat designer, considering that the design of the combat is one of the core things you get down first in a game like cyberpunk

Zer0wing

Cipher
Sup guyz. Probably not release anywhere near 2018.

CYBERPUNK 2077 CAMPAIGN AND ITS COSTS: The Cyberpunk 2077 campaign will not be a "flash" one, i.e. lasting several months from the title announcement to the premiere, "as we already know that we want to tell players a lot about it; this is a new title and a new world. . . " No binding assumptions as to the cost of the campaign have been made. "We have high hopes when it comes to that title. . . the campaign will surely be more expensive than in the case of Witcher 3, but it is too early to discuss the details. . . The closer we are to the premiere, the more precise our expectations become and then we know more or less how much we want to spend on promotion; this is the standard in the [video games] business."

http://biznes.pap.pl/en/news/pap/in...k-2077-release--other-titles--dividend-et-al-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom