Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I don't think it's possible to change the placement and numbers of enemies on specific spots on the maps.

The app is now accessible at https://spiritualsuccessor.net/

I'll post some basic "how to" info later, but for now the stuff you can do is pretty self explanatory. You can import gamedatabudnle files, or just go with the defaults which I have loaded for Deadfire's release version. Then you can open some objects and tinker with their values through the interfaces. Finally, you can export gamedatabundle files from the "Export Data" screen.

I'm continuing work on making more objects editable. The next ones should be Movers, Globals, and Recovery times. I also have big plans for improving the interface, error reporting, validation of user input, etc., and these will come around little by little.

Speaking of error reporting, it's possible to click on an object on the left hand side which is visible in the list, but doesn't have a view with a form for it. In those cases the editor will silently throw a console error. It should still be usable if you go and click a "right" kind of object.

Also, remember that it doesn't remember the state of your browser tab, so don't refresh your browser tab if you have unexported changes.
Sorry for asking stupid question, but it possible with your modding tool to enable choosing subclasses for companions (during recruitment)?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess it's impossible to enable it as some kind of interface, but you can swap classes of companions/sidekicks by editing their data. The editor doesn't a have a view for those kinds of objects yet though. You'll have to search for them in characters.gamedatabundle until I add forms for them in the editor.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I guess it's impossible to enable it as some kind of interface, but you can swap classes of companions/sidekicks by editing their data. The editor doesn't a have a view for those kinds of objects yet though. You'll have to search for them in characters.gamedatabundle until I add forms for them in the editor.
Thank you for answer, well I would try to find it. I found it really annoying that devs didn't gave players to choose subclass for companions and side kicks.

Felix

Arcane
The whole thing about Eothas and Waidwen or whatever his name is also interesting because of it's ambiguity and never in your face so you keep wondering if what you heard is true or not.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Had a first eyebrow raising fight last night, against a lich and his cronies. Then I just refreshed everyone's spells and abilities with empower and it was back to spectator's seat.

Feels a bit like a cheap parlor trick compared to Baldur's Gate combat.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The whole thing about Eothas and Waidwen or whatever his name is also interesting because of it's ambiguity and never in your face so you keep wondering if what you heard is true or not.
Too be honest before Deadfire I was full of hope that Eothas is dead, because whole story about "bad ass bomb which killed a god" spoken by Stoic was epic af in my opinion. In my opinion it would be better to make Deadfire a completely separated story of another Watcher or at least with different mystery and enemy. At least in case of new mystery you would wondering about reasons behind cataclysm (and there can be element of surprise), instead of this we have "#Eothasdidit" it's too obvious.

Had a first eyebrow raising fight last night, against a lich and his cronies. Then I just refreshed everyone's spells and abilities with empower and it was back to spectator's seat.

And in BG you could use one wizard spell - "Time Stop" and kill everyone in seconds. BG and BG 2 is not "ideal of combat", I still don't understand why Josh tried to pull "successor of BG" shit as selling point.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks to this thread I finally got the strength to install Shadowrun: Dragonfall and it's good :)

The game is full with text worth reading. My mind is blown.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

And in BG you could use one wizard spell - "Time Stop" and kill everyone in seconds. BG and BG 2 is not "ideal of combat", I still don't understand why Josh tried to pull "successor of BG" shit as selling point.

You're talking about an end game spell, and no, it can't kill bosses. Pretty sure some elite units are immune to time stop as well. If you refrain from cheesing, there is lots of fun to be had with different openers, counters and counter-counters.

Not sure where you are drawing the connection to my initial post where I'm critiquing an ability to refresh everything, as if sleeping rest is applied. That's a major shortcut imho.

Codex Year of the Donut
my waifu is berath
PE2_Berath_SI.png

Felix

Arcane
Too be honest before Deadfire I was full of hope that Eothas is dead, because whole story about "bad ass bomb which killed a god" spoken by Stoic was epic af in my opinion. In my opinion it would be better to make Deadfire a completely separated story of another Watcher or at least with different mystery and enemy. At least in case of new mystery you would wondering about reasons behind cataclysm (and there can be element of surprise), instead of this we have "#Eothasdidit" it's too obvious.

Or better yet, keep it ambiguous and have an Eothas Priest as a companion to explore more about the faith and the god from human's perspective.
It was such a missed opportunity.

Also, giving the gods forms instead of stirring player's imagination in some way is boring as fuck. In PoE I didn't imagine Berath as an old dried up pale elf cat lady but something grander. Sad!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I meant fate was outside human control, not gods being outside of fate. My point with the MotB example is to show that somehow gods shouldn't be portrayed just as powerful humans, there needs to be something more.
Now I get it, agreed that gods shouldn't be just powerful humans, but disagree about fate outside human control since: 1) It would be boring and predictable in my opinion (and no amount of good writing can fix it), where you sense of wonder and discovery anyway? 2) This trick used by thousands different authors from thousands cultures. From ancient Slavic kingdoms to ancient Greece myths repeat tale "there was prophecy -> guy tried to change it-> fail". I dunno about you, but I have itch on these cheap tricks (they cheap because tale about "hero who broke prophecy" need much more thinking) similar to itch on clones of Tolkien's scenario in game industry.
Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.

Codex Year of the Donut
I meant fate was outside human control, not gods being outside of fate. My point with the MotB example is to show that somehow gods shouldn't be portrayed just as powerful humans, there needs to be something more.
Now I get it, agreed that gods shouldn't be just powerful humans, but disagree about fate outside human control since: 1) It would be boring and predictable in my opinion (and no amount of good writing can fix it), where you sense of wonder and discovery anyway? 2) This trick used by thousands different authors from thousands cultures. From ancient Slavic kingdoms to ancient Greece myths repeat tale "there was prophecy -> guy tried to change it-> fail". I dunno about you, but I have itch on these cheap tricks (they cheap because tale about "hero who broke prophecy" need much more thinking) similar to itch on clones of Tolkien's scenario in game industry.
Gods should be a force of nature,a representation of certain aspect. Not a bunch of retards running around like headless chickens talking about what to do. Only power PoE gods have is the plot power. The whole game they spend talking how they should stop him and in the end did nothing. It is amazing how badly written the whole thing is.
the last time they tried that they got the Saint's War. It was kind of a key plot point if you were paying attention.

Codex Year of the Donut
there's a definition for being a god? all dem theologists on suicide watch bruh
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=god

(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/god

They have supernatural powers even by Eoran standards e.g., Magran erupting volcanoes at will, Ondra creating tsunamis, Eothas in general, etc., They're worshiped as gods, and they show characteristics of gods. They're gods.

Sinatar

Arbiter
The fact that the gods were manufactured by kith does not change the fact that they are gods.

Felix

Arcane
What if the gods are manufactures entities is a lie :plotthicken: also one thing that is hard to believe is how quick ppl to change their belief after a few dialogues clicking.

No one mention Chinese gods yet? the gods who were once mortals.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a metaphor of real life. Often someone of great authority and prestige turns out to be quite a mediocre guy when you get to see him in person and get an idea about his actual qualities.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Also, giving the gods forms instead of stirring player's imagination in some way is boring as fuck. In PoE I didn't imagine Berath as an old dried up pale elf cat lady but something grander. Sad!
I imagined Berath as two conjoined skeletons (one male and one female) which consist of bones from different races of Eora and in every hand Berath wielding a scythe, with black snath on female side and white snath on male side, both scythes have blades made from glowing adra.

It's a metaphor of real life. Often someone of great authority and prestige turns out to be quite a mediocre guy when you get to see him in person and get an idea about his actual qualities.
I agree about "glorious leaders" and their qualities, but we talking about a gods in computer game, there not always metaphors create fan.

Well actually there are God who can kill your character in mid game if you act like "tough guy" during side quests, it's Rymrgand in his realm. If you will be treating him to provoke fight, he would be like "lol, die" and you are dead. I know maybe it's not enough, but it's something.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom