Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking The descriptive text in Planescape would be considered bad writing by novelists

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I find this so very puzzling, I can't even articulate it in words. I'm just stumped.

I always assumed every game, even those that did not involve pages and pages of text, went through a professional editor before release.
With old games that were made in about 15 developers, but sometimes much less, it was definitely not feasible. People would start to remember how low salaries they have (if any) and work morale would go down.

Technically lead writer/designer was also an editor. And on some low end projects, you were happy you had all writing done before release. Current much larger market means possible larger income, which means some positions are done by a specialized person. But years ago it definitely wasn't given. (And event today in < 6 man freeware projects, editors are called relatives that can into grammar and have spare time to do it for free.)

Actually, I'd rather prefer pirated freely available art full of grammar errors, but juicy and interesting, over well done professionally edited commercial stuff protected by an unbreakable DRM that everyone forgets 3 years after release. However, in last few years I see games that were released with minimum features and unbreakable (nobody bothers because even pirates have dignity) DRM. I smell regulation of game market in the air...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Let's not take this argument in that direction. We all know what each of us are going to say on that subject.

I'm more concerned with the dearth of true artistic achievement.
Fallow my example,get drunk and listen to something good and read a nice book. There is nothing to be done except wait for the time when shit hits the fan. Also genius don't come that often.

Well, i disagree. I think greatness can only exist alongside the moral, so to speak. This is why genius no longer exists. It is not so much that human beings have grown stupid. The problem is that they have become rotten.
You could be a degenerate genius,still i doubt that such person will care enough to create something.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No, dump people think they are smart and know best. When they are confronted by a smart person they simply say that the person is stupid and keep on telling themself that they know best.

Total haram,should be broken to bits,shows more than woman's eyes!:lol:

People's personalities ie their feelz, have little to do with whether they are smart or not and a manager who is not total fuckwit can manage to incorporate various personalities on the same team so long as they actually can do work. That is why you measure if someone is smart or at least knows how to do a job. Which is easy for technical stuff at least, if not for something like writers.
I don't have problem with dumb people,have problem with retards that think they are smart while they couldn't find their country with google maps. Majority of people don't really care about this shit and live life,i to don't really care how smart a certain person is. Have friends on the both ends,have a beer with them and don't care. But there are people that are very......aggravating.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
:what:

Which Torment is that?

Shit, meant to say Numenera. Where you basically see all NPCs look the same but a lot are suddenly more alien than others based on their description.

Also, in an isometric game you can't really describe a character by "showing". You can't translate the descriptions from PST to "showing".

But PS:T already shows you a good deal when it comes to characters like Annah and Grace. And it is also helped by the in-game portraits you can open up to read about them. The thing with Torment, and with Tides of Numenera, is that a lot of time is wasted physically describing ordinary NPCs.

Black Angel

Arcane
Videogames should be more like movies and less like books.
Ugh. No, like Sulik said, videogames should be more like videogames, no need to try to mimic other medium like movies or books.

The results of trying to be more like movies produced walking simulators like Gone Home, Life is Strange, Telltale games (i.e "interactive movies").

How? Videogames in the past twenty years have proved developers understand videogames should be more like movies.
Yeah, no. Like I mentioned before, these developers you mentioned went on to make these 'games' like the ones called Gone Home, Life is Strange, Telltale games. Anyone else are just dumbing down their games more and more, taking away gameplay elements with every games they've made in an effort to be more like movies.

When I say games should be more like I movies, I mean less time should be spent on purple prose and more should be spent on actually showing what you are being described.
And how do you achieve that? Cinematic sequences? Camera panning toward things on the screen? Seriously, like JarlFrank said, more time should be spent on actually letting players interact with things. In other words: gameplay.

Books tell. Films show. Videogames should show instead of telling. Instead of describing an NPC in detail, like Numenera does, SHOW me that NPC in detail. Because unlike a book, every NPC in Numenera and other RPGs looks exactly the same. But videogames are a visual medum, and so telling me what an NPC looks like only goes to show the game itself is fairly shit at portraying unique characteristics.
This might work in an RPG using first-person format like New Vegas, but can it really work in an isometric format/top-down, bird's eye view like PS:T? Also, if we are going to have a fully animated and rendered scenes, what other aspects of the game that have to be sacrificed in order to accommodate for it? Wasn't the costs for animating and rendering much more expensive than programming and coding? Not to mention the costs needed to combine the two to actually produce a videogame.

Imagine if Morte had a generic human model, but the game told us "you see a floating skull". That's essentially what goes on in Torment.
If you're talking about Numenera, then I don't have any comment on this. But the original topic, as shown in the title, is P:ST. The problem you're describing above with Morte doesn't really exist in PS:T because, like FeelTheRads said, you can't just translate the descriptions in RPGs (and games in general) that have top-down format like PS:T into 'showing', since the game only tell us things that are not actually shown on the screen.

But PS:T already shows you a good deal when it comes to characters like Annah and Grace. And it is also helped by the in-game portraits you can open up to read about them. The thing with Torment, and with Tides of Numenera, is that a lot of time is wasted physically describing ordinary NPCs.
Does PS:T really did that, though? I can only remember PS:T describing when ordinary NPCs are doing something, like when they're holding something in their hands or trying to pickpocket TNO.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
When i picked this name i still hadn't developed my current understanding of the nature of modernity. I'm now stuck with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom