Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm thinking of playing Disciples of Steel or Aethra's Chronicles next.

Excellent choices.
Some of the very best obscure CRPGs.
Any ideas from where i can download Aethra's Chronicles? It looks interesting even if i am not fan of the combat system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
eating sushi with a fork is actually harder than using chopsticks.

I will give you that one. I'm just salty because I lived with this asian girl who used chopsticks for everything and constantly shamed me for using a fork.
Shame her for being a uneducated barbarian that still sleeps on the floor like some kind of animal......unless you are in Asia.
:happytrollboy:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
because the average codexer is a popamolist in denial

What old classic would you recommend me?

I need some kind of graphics. Anything older than 8-bit NES is too little. No shitty ASCII art.

Light on story. I've played too many Final Fantasys and other jRPGs with inane stories. I want to dungeon crawl and kill shit, not hear about some chicks idiotic story.

I also want to be able to make my whole party from the start. I hate having third-party NPCs come midway, fuck off with that shit.

Combat should be turn based, but it doesn't need to be some Fire Emblem / D:OS / Chess gird like combat. Simple menus like Dragon Quest is fine.

world of xeen

Watching this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFfIZ1DwYQ

Yup, Might and Magic 4 & 5 combo. Is that review accurate?

EDIT: Is there any reference material you would recommend me before I start playing?

I legit challenge anyone not to be hooked by m&m book 1, despite its ascii graphics.
Massive open world with caves, castles and unique shit everywhere.
EVERYWHERE.
tenor.gif

Allow me to enlighten you.

Ascii art
ascii_screenshot_xomrevive.png

NOT Ascii art (it's got bitmaps and shiiiiiiet, actually a big selling point in 1986):
Might%20and%20Magic%20-%20Secret%20of%20the%20Inner%20Sanctum_7.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
because the average codexer is a popamolist in denial

What old classic would you recommend me?

I need some kind of graphics. Anything older than 8-bit NES is too little. No shitty ASCII art.

Light on story. I've played too many Final Fantasys and other jRPGs with inane stories. I want to dungeon crawl and kill shit, not hear about some chicks idiotic story.

I also want to be able to make my whole party from the start. I hate having third-party NPCs come midway, fuck off with that shit.

Combat should be turn based, but it doesn't need to be some Fire Emblem / D:OS / Chess gird like combat. Simple menus like Dragon Quest is fine.

world of xeen

Watching this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFfIZ1DwYQ

Yup, Might and Magic 4 & 5 combo. Is that review accurate?

EDIT: Is there any reference material you would recommend me before I start playing?
You can read the manual if you'd like, but it's not necessary (unless you're playing an old version with copy protection for the Clouds side).

Xeen is extremely user friendly, just go in blind and have a blast. No need to min-max your party either, earlier M&Ms are much harder.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Here's something from leftfield:

Isometric games dispensed with the concept of mazes. The isometric perspective naturally provides long-site, but a maze only works if your view is very limited, either from a top-down perspective or from a first person perspective. This is why many people also claim dungeons died with the end of the blobber. Because 'good ol' dungeons' were basically just mazes.

If you don't like mazes, but otherwise love everything else about RPGs, then, obviously, 1995 onwards is appealing, 1994 and previous just looks like a field full of corn mazes.

What is the correct term for a phobia of mazes? Does google know?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080608003937AA8aUOh&guccounter=1

https://au.toluna.com/opinions/2135055/If-Mazephobia-is-commonly-named-for-the-fear-of-mazes-what

https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20131014/14716/how-i-overcame-my-fear-scare-mazes

Possibly more common than you may think ;)

DragoFireheart

Here's something from leftfield:

Isometric games dispensed with the concept of mazes. The isometric perspective naturally provides long-site, but a maze only works if your view is very limited, either from a top-down perspective or from a first person perspective. This is why many people also claim dungeons died with the end of the blobber. Because 'good ol' dungeons' were basically just mazes.

If you don't like mazes, but otherwise love everything else about RPGs, then, obviously, 1995 onwards is appealing, 1994 and previous just looks like a field full of corn mazes.

What is the correct term for a phobia of mazes? Does google know?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080608003937AA8aUOh&guccounter=1

https://au.toluna.com/opinions/2135055/If-Mazephobia-is-commonly-named-for-the-fear-of-mazes-what

https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20131014/14716/how-i-overcame-my-fear-scare-mazes

Possibly more common than you may think ;)

just keep turning right to escape the maze weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think that good dungeon design is pretty much a lost art, and the rise of purely isometric games has certainly contributed to that. I can only think of a single dungeon that was memorable in in the past 20 years, and that is Durlag's Tower in TotSC - and even then, the reasons why it was memorable are distinct from what constitutes a good blobber dungeon.

Meanwhile, I can easily remember many of the floors in Wizardry 5, Uukrul and any number of Might and Magic games. Truly devilish devices like spinners, pits, traps and the inability to save at your convenience (without cheating, anyway) really got my blood pumping in old Wizardries. I wish someone had the balls to make a game like that again.

Mustawd

This is why many people also claim dungeons died with the end of the blobber. Because 'good ol' dungeons' were basically just mazes.

I like blobbers, but hate the maze aspect of them. Or rather, I dislike mapping. Blobbers are still great dungeon crawling without the mazes IMO.

DragoFireheart

This is why many people also claim dungeons died with the end of the blobber. Because 'good ol' dungeons' were basically just mazes.

I like blobbers, but hate the maze aspect of them. Or rather, I dislike mapping. Blobbers are still great dungeon crawling without the mazes IMO.

You've played blobbers that don't have mazes?

No, but I've played auto-mapping games like The Dark Spire.

mondblut

Arcane
Truly devilish devices like spinners, pits, traps and the inability to save at your convenience (without cheating, anyway) really got my blood pumping in old Wizardries. I wish someone had the balls to make a game like that again.

Japs do. In fact, they have balls to make an exact same game several times a year in the course of a couple decades.

Better yet, Demise.

DragoFireheart

world of xeen

Ok

I downloaded a free version and dosbox. Tried to run it and it works, but anytime I talk to the chick at the tavern my game freezes.

EDIT: I see that GOG is selling the first 6 for $10. Might just buy it to avoid issues.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom