Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Chris definitely wants to be a more active part in the development of the game again, and I feel this is part of why they chose to go through with this acquisition. Tencent will most likely try to promote the game in china to make it the biggest aRPG there since the genre doesn't really have any big players right now. This may very well mean that they will also do the promotional campaigns in the west if they feel like their profits could benefit from that.

Sykar

Arcane
This won't end well...
Define "well".

How PoE would have to look like in two years for you to say that it indeed ended well?

Because if we can't define that, anything that happens can be attributed to the evil Chinese overlords. Weak league like Bestiary? Chinks did it! Shitty league launch? Dem Yellow Devils are responsible! Strong nerfs to certain mechanics and builds and buffs to other? Straight from Beijing! Powercreep? Chink-Chonks too!

Right now I am of the opinion that nothing major will change for PoE, at least not on the international realm. There may be more PR being done, and more players coming to the game, maybe changes to the mtx prices (not likely), maybe a push for more mtx. And probably more employees in GGG. Chris already said they are hiring 15 people due to this acquisition.

In the sense that it will stay to be played as freely as it is now. From my experience such companies have a knack to slowly but unerringly make games like PoE P2W even if it might end 2-3 years.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
This won't end well...
Define "well".

How PoE would have to look like in two years for you to say that it indeed ended well?

Because if we can't define that, anything that happens can be attributed to the evil Chinese overlords. Weak league like Bestiary? Chinks did it! Shitty league launch? Dem Yellow Devils are responsible! Strong nerfs to certain mechanics and builds and buffs to other? Straight from Beijing! Powercreep? Chink-Chonks too!

Right now I am of the opinion that nothing major will change for PoE, at least not on the international realm. There may be more PR being done, and more players coming to the game, maybe changes to the mtx prices (not likely), maybe a push for more mtx. And probably more employees in GGG. Chris already said they are hiring 15 people due to this acquisition.

In the sense that it will stay to be played as freely as it is now. From my experience such companies have a knack to slowly but unerringly make games like PoE P2W even if it might end 2-3 years.
And what experience would that be?

All I read about Tencent is that they give almost zero fucks about International versions of the game. All they want is for the Chinese version to get a shitload of P2W crap that Chinese players like and buy like crack cocaine.

Did Tencent introduced anything like that into League of Legends since they bought it completely?

Or into any other of their games?

Sure, other publishers do that, but its like saying that since Ahmed beats his wife, it means that Johann will also.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
While that is a valid concern, looking at LoL, PUBG, Epic Games or Supercell, I don't get the feeling that Tencent is one of those "we must milk for maximum profit" kind of companies. They're interested in the long-term health of the game, while trying to maximize their control over the local market that they have a much larger interest in.

With how much else they have going on besides their game-developer investments, I'm not even sure they care all that much if any specific investment turns out to be a bad one, as long as the whole portfolio is still returning decent profits.

T. Reich

Arcane
PoE is already p2w-lite due to the extreme intentory clutter that it creates, which makes any sort of long-term endgame playthrough an extremely uncomfortable experience unless you invest in tabs.
It was quite manageable up until approx 2 years ago, and it's been slowly getting worse with every major update.

T. Reich

Arcane
PoE is already p2w-lite due to the extreme intentory clutter that it creates, which makes any sort of long-term endgame playthrough an extremely uncomfortable experience unless you invest in tabs.
It was quite manageable up until approx 2 years ago, and it's been slowly getting worse with every major update.
stop picking up crap and vendor recipes. It will set you free

and poor
which is requirement to be happy

If you only limit yourself to picking up maps and currency, it's already 3 stash tabs gone in the endgame (by the red maps that is), unless you deliberately get rid of all the bulkier currency (pretty much anything but exalts) and lower tier maps (I'm not even talking t1-8 here, I'm talking t9-11).
You will also have to severely limit the collection of the following trash:
divination cards
essences
various fragments, splinters, etc
quality gems, jewels, flasks
pretty much any recipe fodder

Any rare/unique items you will keep would only be the extremely strong/valuable ones, and you will pretty much need to forget about trading.
And you will need to mule. A lot.

P.S.: Found a case in point. Here's what the default stash tabs of a lvl100 SSF player look like. Japanese-tier inventory optimisation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a free game but, if you're playing enough to reach endgame, then you should be kind enough to drop them some coins.

FFS, it's still cheaper than a regular game.

T. Reich

Arcane
Just pointing out the, dawg.

Game's good, game's absolutely definitely f2p for a casualfag (story mode + some maps = a few dozen hours of fun), but if you wanna go balls deep, you either cough up the dough, or you're in for a world of hurt.
Frankly, if you went balls-deep, most of the time you have already paid your dues and enjoy the perks that those money can get you.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147954

Your item will be destroyed.

That'll sure end in tears.
And some hilarious videos!

Also, the mighty Chinese overlords wedding gift for us is............... "Attack in place" !

42b3z9w5ahz01.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
3.3 Cold Snap looks sweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexil...e_are_the_details_for_the_revamped_cold_snap/

Another option for DoT tricksters. Also can work great with Indigon, Dot skills don't lose dps if you are not using Indigon for a while so they are all good options for Indigon builds. And with this skill you don't need to fuck around with a projectile like ED or stand in one place to channel like SR or Blight.

You can spam Frostbomb+ Arcane Surge to buff up Indigon and then cast one Cold Snap and have its 30 base area DoT kill everything.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
The base radius for the damage hit and the start area is 15. The chilled ground and degen area expands to a base radius of 30 over 1.5. seconds.
Dead on arrival.

The 180% damage effectiveness looked incredibly nice but with that tiny of an aoe and no more +radius on a lvl 20 gem, its really just another vortex.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Does not need to be if you focus on DoT part.
Edited my previous post. It's just another vortex now, and has very little to do with how the previous cold-snap worked. I played a coldsnap-assassin during abyss because cold-snap just scales insanely well with added damage, but the measly aoe meant that while you could easily permafreeze and even oneshot abyss rares, you also had to cast 2-4 coldsnaps per pack. That was with a lv21 cold snap gem which currently has 21 radius. You're going to lose ~29% of your base AoE in order to get a DoT that doesn't scale at all with what made coldsnap an interesting spell in the first place - added damage. Seeing how they thought it would be cool to buff that effectiveness from 120% to 180%, it will be even better for freezing even red-tier bosses, but the clear will be underwhelming.

The only way I see a direct-damage coldsnap build work out is if the vaal-skill changes somehow enable you to mainly clear with vaal CS instead, but that is highly unlikely even with chill of corruption/sacrificial harvest, because they already mentioned that using a vaal skill means you will not gain souls for a short period of time. So unless you heavily invest in a herald of ice for clearing, my point still stands - vortex 2.0.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It think it is unfair to call it Vortex 2.0 when it seems superior to it in every way and also has noticeably different mechanics like being cast at range and AoE expanding.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
So you're saying it's better than vortex in basically every single way? Almost sounds like an improved version of something that's already been there, almost as if it was the.... 2.0 version while the previous version was 1.0.

Because you're absolutely right, its just vortex, castable on range with bigger AoE. If the initial damage would matter and you could build around it, then it wouldn't just be vortex 2.0. But right now, thats all it is.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm probably going to run crit skeleton dark pact for incursion (looks especially juicy with that new amulet on the slim chance it will be affordable to mere mortals).

I found a build to base it on, which played as necromancer. However, it seems to me that occultist is superior both in terms of damage and survivability (free power charge generation, -20% chaos res, +ES and stun immunity). Necromancer does have +2 skellies summoned, some 70% increased damage and quite a lot extra minion health.

It seems the actual tradeoff is the ease with which the skeletons got gibbed by enemies. Having never played a summoner for long in PoE, I was hoping someone in this thread might enlighten me as to how much difference 20 ele res and 30% increased life makes for skeleton survivability. Since the skeletons will only be 4 linked, and one of them will be arcane surge, and I don't they will ever do notable damage.

Here's the current PoB paste if anyone wants to look really closely at it https://pastebin.com/M9mczGcn.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom