Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lhynn

Arcane
PoE1 is slightly harder for slightly longer. Tyranny is much harder.

Tyranny was much harder at the beginning for me (Edict of Execution part), but after you get one of the OP spell sigils the difficulty dropped off sharply, perhaps even below Deadfire.
Not below deadfire, i played both games solo. So i have a good idea of how hard each game is. Heck, Tyranny still had its spikes, tho none as hard as the first chapter final fight.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
PoE1 gameplay on launch consisted of select all> left click target.

Deadfire's gameplay below PoTD consists of turning on AI and waiting to pick up the loot.

The difference is, Deadfire isn't as railroaded and the entire map is open for the taking after the prologue instead of being plot-gated by 4 different acts. So you can least find some challenge by exploring and taking on bosses and dungeons far above your level.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Geee it must be really nice living in that ivory tower of yours,abstracting yourself from the reality of the world. It must be really nice to be a US veteran,living the high life. Being called a nazi by jobless punks while pissing yourself in some alley,homeless. Hey at least they got freedom and progressiveness. In the East at least we respect our soldiers....when we have them.

PS:They take their passports for other reasons you dipshit.
It must be really nice to be a US veteran,living the high life
Indeed it nice, since they paid relatively good money during their servitude.
Being called a nazi by jobless punks while pissing yourself in some alley,homeless
Remind me, which country in Eastern Europe giving houses to their soldiers for free? Oh, wait, never mind, it's another anti-American bullshit. No to mention that ex-soldiers can have all chances to lost their homes in Eastern Europe, thanks to shitty economy and inflation.
In the East at least we respect our soldiers....when we have them.
Is this some kind of joke? I mean from
Army is like prison,you have to show that you are not to be fucked early on.
it escalated to
In the East at least we respect our soldiers....when we have them.
It's like respect prisoners for their time in prison, not to mention that many countries in Eastern Europe (especially Russia) have army which draw ALL people in, they don't care about physical conditions or will to serve. People treated like animals around butcher house - only amount of heads matter. You don't respect people in army, you just make their suffering even worse, because your attitude support corrupted government.
PS:They take their passports for other reasons you dipshit.
I don't see any practical reason behind taking away from people MAIN document which guarantee to you citizenship and access to courts.
you dipshit.
NO U.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Lacrymas
Assuming you don't already know, there is an island with Skaen altar that can provide you with an effigy doll, which allows you to summon an Effigy of Skaen. I have no idea how strong it is. Link to video in the spoilers regarding how to get it, it is surprisingly metal considering Obsidian's current writers.

80px-Portrait_Effigy_Convo.png

I forgot to add that I think you needed to have sacrificed a companion in the blood pool in PoE1 and sided with Skaen.

Trashos

Arcane
many countries in Eastern Europe (especially Russia) have army which draw ALL people in, they don't care about physical conditions or will to serve. People treated like animals around butcher house - only amount of heads matter. You don't respect people in army, you just make their suffering even worse, because your attitude support corrupted government.

Either your people are taught to fight for your country or soon you will have no country. You might think that you can outsource this, but you can't. Ask Rome.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
many countries in Eastern Europe (especially Russia) have army which draw ALL people in, they don't care about physical conditions or will to serve. People treated like animals around butcher house - only amount of heads matter. You don't respect people in army, you just make their suffering even worse, because your attitude support corrupted government.

Either your people are taught to fight for your country or soon you will have no country. You might think that you can outsource this, but you can't. Ask Rome.
I don't think gay with aids (you should PROVE that you gay, in another case you will be forced to serve) or half-blind person is good addition to army, not to mention that in Russian army nobody will actually "taught" you to anything. Some people who served never had weapon in their hand during servitude, they just worked for free. And compare Legions of Rome with armies of bunch of post-communistic shitholes is incorrect.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for 10 hours.

Combat is smoother than in the beta. I'm glad they added a combat speed slider. Fast mode exploration and regular combat speed has worked well for me, so far. I use auto mode for companions, but control them when I want. Difficulty is on the lower end. Not going to bother with the highest difficulty until all DLCs and patches are out, where I will be microing all my characters. Difficulty is jarring if I compare to the beta.

Game looks good, and runs fairly well. It takes a lot of time to load up my save, though. I thought the look of the game could hook in more folks, but sales don't seem to light the charts. Exploration is mixed. I love the big city, but there are many areas that are simply too small. Writing is also a mixed bag. Most of it isn't good (almost everything related to companions) but there are moments where I do think it is solid enough. All in all, a it has been fun to actually play, but the flaws are apparent, and you do notice that most of the writing talent that I cared about has left the company. This was already evident with Tyranny, though.

I can see myself playing this more than once, but incredible writing is not the reason.

Felix

Arcane
The plot with the gods could have been good in the hand of someone like Avellone, and raise interesting question.
Instead it's being written by pretentious talentless hacks.

Character like Durance provided a glimpse into what could have been. The gods in PoE is still somewhat interesting because they are were somewhat mysterious and you don't see them directly. PoE 2 jumped the shark by making them boring as fuck.

What a shame.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is never about the gods, though, it's about the relationship people have with them. Even in Greek tragedies, the tragic protagonist is never a god (with the possible exception of Prometheus Bound, but don't worry about that), and the gods are usually forces outside of human control, fate as well. In Oedipus Rex, the whole plot happens because Laius wanted to deny prophecy and fate by getting rid of the baby Oedipus, yet he unwittingly set the prophecy in motion by doing that. Bargaining with fate would've been ridiculous, like bargaining with the gods in the Council of Stars. Even in MotB, the actions of the gods are represented as immovable laws of the universe, something against which the protagonists can test themselves and their beliefs. They are the ultimate authority that only come into play at the end of the story. The only example in which the Greek gods act kind of like the gods in PoE is in the Iliad and that's an incredibly atypical work.

PoE needs less gods-as-characters, and more gods-as-objectivity. Well, it needs a lot of things. They still may be characters, but not in the way Obs are using them. Durance is an example of good usage, Magran is the fire and anvil which shapes the characters of man, not his drinking buddy.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The gods in PoE is still somewhat interesting because they are were somewhat mysterious and you don't see them directly.
I agree about that, also when I saw them in PoE 2 I was like "what the actual fuck, I imagined them different!". I think it better would be to stay in secret for them, with Avellone's writing or not, imo.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I ever play wizord I'll do what I had to do with Aloth: max alchemy and go drug-wizard. Take that eye enhancing green drug and inject until my elf eyes shrink from elex overdose. The accuracy buff is really worth it and much needed.

Btw did anyone notice how beautiful some of the weapon models in this game are? Like, check that 2 handed sword with red gem, it's actually a realistic looking flamberge. Or a saber with dragon-like handle. And most of them are of not-fantasitis size. Can't see them that well behind lightning effects during combat though... but this game has some really pretty swords.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
frajaq

editing creature stats and levels of locations (encounters take creature levels from level ranges tied to map areas) is simple enough. but what exactly do you mean by encounters, like changing what type of enemies spawn?

inside worldmap.gamedatabundle and areadesignmisc.gamedatabundle i saw entries for creature spawns and spawn "types", even entries that determined internal label of an area (critical, bounty, etc); but other than knowing the entries exist I don't know anything further (farther?) than that.

as to how "easy" it is well it's just tedious text editing, which should become much easier with awesomebutton's tool.

frajaq

Erudite
Yeah exactly that, thanks for explaining

Well it would also be nice to know where exactly on the map location it spawns but I imagine that's asking for too much

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think it's possible to change the placement and numbers of enemies on specific spots on the maps.

The app is now accessible at https://spiritualsuccessor.net/

I'll post some basic "how to" info later, but for now the stuff you can do is pretty self explanatory. You can import gamedatabudnle files, or just go with the defaults which I have loaded for Deadfire's release version. Then you can open some objects and tinker with their values through the interfaces. Finally, you can export gamedatabundle files from the "Export Data" screen.

I'm continuing work on making more objects editable. The next ones should be Movers, Globals, and Recovery times. I also have big plans for improving the interface, error reporting, validation of user input, etc., and these will come around little by little.

Speaking of error reporting, it's possible to click on an object on the left hand side which is visible in the list, but doesn't have a view with a form for it. In those cases the editor will silently throw a console error. It should still be usable if you go and click a "right" kind of object.

Also, remember that it doesn't remember the state of your browser tab, so don't refresh your browser tab if you have unexported changes.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
It is never about the gods, though, it's about the relationship people have with them. Even in Greek tragedies, the tragic protagonist is never a god (with the possible exception of Prometheus Bound, but don't worry about that), and the gods are usually forces outside of human control, fate as well. In Oedipus Rex, the whole plot happens because Laius wanted to deny prophecy and fate by getting rid of the baby Oedipus, yet he unwittingly set the prophecy in motion by doing that. Bargaining with fate would've been ridiculous, like bargaining with the gods in the Council of Stars. Even in MotB, the actions of the gods are represented as immovable laws of the universe, something against which the protagonists can test themselves and their beliefs. They are the ultimate authority that only come into play at the end of the story. The only example in which the Greek gods act kind of like the gods in PoE is in the Iliad and that's an incredibly atypical work.

PoE needs less gods-as-characters, and more gods-as-objectivity. Well, it needs a lot of things. They still may be characters, but not in the way Obs are using them. Durance is an example of good usage, Magran is the fire and anvil which shapes the characters of man, not his drinking buddy.
It is never about the gods, though, it's about the relationship people have with them. Even in Greek tragedies, the tragic protagonist is never a god (with the possible exception of Prometheus Bound, but don't worry about that), and the gods are usually forces outside of human control, fate as well.
The only one place where gods was outside of fate (and only Zeus to be precise) was Homeric poems, in other sources (and there was shitload different sources) ALL gods had to bow before Sisters of Fate called Moirai, since they almost old and powerful as Kronos.
Even in MotB, the actions of the gods are represented as immovable laws of the universe, something against which the protagonists can test themselves and their beliefs.
Sounds more like God in Christianity than pagan deities from Greece.

Don't get me wrong, Gods should be improved in Eora (and improved a lot), but lets not take Greece gods as example of "powerful beings", since Zeus had affairs with multiple mortals (which is weak in my opinion, what kind of god cannot create lovers to himself anyway).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant fate was outside human control, not gods being outside of fate. My point with the MotB example is to show that somehow gods shouldn't be portrayed just as powerful humans, there needs to be something more.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I meant fate was outside human control, not gods being outside of fate. My point with the MotB example is to show that somehow gods shouldn't be portrayed just as powerful humans, there needs to be something more.
Now I get it, agreed that gods shouldn't be just powerful humans, but disagree about fate outside human control since: 1) It would be boring and predictable in my opinion (and no amount of good writing can fix it), where you sense of wonder and discovery anyway? 2) This trick used by thousands different authors from thousands cultures. From ancient Slavic kingdoms to ancient Greece myths repeat tale "there was prophecy -> guy tried to change it-> fail". I dunno about you, but I have itch on these cheap tricks (they cheap because tale about "hero who broke prophecy" need much more thinking) similar to itch on clones of Tolkien's scenario in game industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom